Saturday, May 08, 2010

I miss...


I have anticipated this. Most of you guys knew this was coming. Many of you would say "I told you so".

Yes I do miss my Olympus Zuiko 35mm F3.5 Lens. I feel so incomplete without it.

Low angle works wonders. Emphasis was on the front wheel. Distortion (both barrel and perspective) of the lens can be used to your advantage.

A little work in Pseudo-HDR to bring out some details in the shadow areas, which works wonders especially in strong backlit conditions such as this.

It does not feel right not shooting spiders and little creatures, exploring techniques to light up the subjects and get them in tack sharp focus. Macro photography has been my training ground for so long, and it has taught me so many things, developed many of my skills. Diligently shooting in macro mode greatly increased my manual focusing accuracy, my control over the flash and general lighting exposures, handling of the camera (especially shooting single handedly), composition styles, creative off camera lighting setup, and many more. Macro has trained my eyes to always stay sharp, and to pay attention to even the tiniest details. In addition to that, macro shooting (insect photography in particular) is probably the most physically demanding photography genre I have encountered, and countless hours spent shooting macro has enhanced my stamina, which aided me in shooting events or weddings whole day.

The black blob of blur, the moving cat is what makes this photo work. Without the cat, it would have been too plain. Who cares of it is out of focus, seriously rules are meant to be broken.

I tried using the lines to frame the old man. This did not turn out as well as I have imagined.

Yes, I do not have my macro lens now.

I decided to let go of the lens for a couple of reasons:

1) To fund the 11-22mm F2.8-3.5 lens. I do not have so much money like some people who can just buy buy buy, and then buy some more and complain that their dry box does not have enough space. Hence, I need to make some sacrifice in order to gain something new. At that point of time, I was desperate, and letting go 35mm seemed like one of the only choice I had.

2) To force myself to move into other photography genres. As many of you might have noticed, I got a little obsessed with macro for probably nearly half a year. As much as i have benefited from shooting macro, I was afraid that I might get myself too deep into it and locked myself away from so many other photography opportunities out there, which I have yet to explore. So by letting go the macro lens, I allowed myself some freedom to venture into urban landscape and street shooting, and explored a few new techniques such as panorama and pseudo-HDR.

3) I thought I can survive without a macro lens. Well, I was wrong, so wrong.


Oh no not another cat on robinwong.blogspot.com !!
Well this shot was a stunt I pulled off, shot at 300mm with shutter speed of 1/15 second. I was told this was impossible, but yeah, a little faith with the built in Image-Stabilizer goes a long, long way.

Now, I have sleepless nights, reminiscing my times with the much beloved macro lens.

At the rate of how things are going, I might just take the plunge and get myself one.

Somebody save me please !!!

6 comments:

  1. u should blame blu for that..

    50mm is cool :P

    shoot closeups la... forget about macro

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey LKM,
    I blame both Blu AND Red.

    Closeups are well, just not close enough.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't fret robin. I'm sure you'll be getting another back very soon ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maybe you should consolidate all your cat shots and feature them as an album. That will look really cool!

    ReplyDelete
  5. hey david,
    yeah !! Maybe one day I would do that. Or maybe, just go out and shoot cats !!! Hmmm, not a bad idea.

    ReplyDelete