Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Citizens of Chow Kit


Previously, I had a walk along Chow Kit, and feeling that I have missed out on such a short session, I made another photo-walk there. I shot with the wide last time, and for the love of the long lens, I chose to stick to the tele-zoom lens all the while. My focus was on the people, and people only. Some have complained my shots are of inanimate things, which seemed boring to them. Oh well, I can't please everyone, can I?


THE WARM GAZE

I shot this child at quite a close range, and as I pointed the camera at her, she had the curious look on her face.

THE MOVE

This was quite an interesting discovery. I never knew you can find the street folks playing chess. I believe the chess board was open for challenge to anyone. The focus of the players were rather intense, and the game was already ending when I came to this frame.

MAN IN TIGHTS

If it was any tighter, my lens would have cracked.

ON DUTY

Nasty officers doing their job on a lazy Sunday afternoon. And you think you can actually run away from them on weekends?

FINDING PEACE ON THE STAIRS

I was not really sure if she was sleeping or just closing her eyes, but finding her in such position on the stairs was rather odd.

RESTLESS

This dude seemed like he was down with something, yet he placed himself out in the open, probably hoping to make some business. Medical certificate does not apply to the streets I guess.

GOING GREEN

As dangerous as the stunt may be, you have to admit that they are saving the environment and the world. Mother earth owes them one.

COMPLETE WASTE OF HUMAN RESOURCE

Do we need more people to join the police force? To do what, really?

MEND MY HEART, NOT MY SHOES

You can practically find cobblers everywhere on the streets at Chow Kit area.

SHOES

Would you buy shoes from a bloke who exhibits his stomach?

AFTERNOON NAP



BROKEN LEG, OR BROKEN SOUL?

It does seem like there has been more loss than just certain part of the body for some people on the streets. It is one thing to be physically disabled, but another to use it as an excuse, and displaying it to hook into hearts of people passing by.

ANTI-MOBILE PHONE

When was the last time you used a public phone? The last time I used one was when I lost my mobile phone, and I needed to call a friend to get his help. The significance of the public phone has been overshadowed by the over-population of mobile phones.

A STREET PORTRAIT

I aimed my lens at this dude for over a few minutes, before he decided to turn and face my direction. I added grain on the photo to create the gritty effect.

INVITATION

If you are a robber or handbag snatcher, you are desperate and you found this lady with that huge bag, alone in that street, what would you do?

CATCH OF THE DAY

Oh no not another cat on robinwong.blogspot.com !! I can't resist really, you have to pardon me. It is not an everyday thing seeing a cat eating a full fish, probably stolen from a kitchen nearby.

STREET CAMWHORE

If you happen to find someone camwhoring on the streets, well, you know it is for sure, yours truly !!

All photos taken with Olympus Zuiko 70-300mm F4-5.6 lens, and I have to say, superzoom lens seriously ROCKS !!

14 comments:

  1. great photos!!! Love the caption as well...

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW! WOW! WOW! This is the post with your BEST SHOTS so far! I really like many of the shots! Well done! You are really getting the hang of street photography. Many of your shots here have GREAT CONTENT! May I request some of your shots here for projectselfrespect.wordpress.com?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the "man-in-tights", "stairs", "traffic police" and "broken leg" MOST! Great Content!

    I would hope to have "kids on motorbike" added to projectselfrespect.wordpress.com with credits given back to you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have just demonstrated the GOOD use of telephoto in street photography IN CONTRAST to many who only shoot "BOKEH" with telephotos for street photography creating tons of shots that have no relationship or context with the background and extremely weak content!

    Photography is from the heart and the CONTENT proves what's in the heart!

    Keep it UP UP UP bro!

    ReplyDelete
  5. hey david,
    thanks so much !!
    It is not an everyday thing for me to get a huge guy like you to "wow" at my images !! This really means something to me.
    I believe the street is so full of stories, it is only the matter of opening our eyes to seeing them, and the rest is up to us to capture them.
    As requested I have sent a copy of the "kids on motorbike" photo to the projectselfrespect main email address.
    I truly agree with you on having the content part, it is important because the content is the message the photographer is trying to convey, or the story he is telling. Thanks, but I do feel there is a lot I need to learn and improve still.
    I appreciate your kind words !! On of these days I must tag along you and learn from a real pro !!

    ReplyDelete
  6. great stuff! agree with david!

    ReplyDelete
  7. hey allen,
    thanks !! come KL la, we go street shooting.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am no big guy. Just a tiny grain of sand in the whole wide world. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. hey david,
    then that must be one huge grain of sand !! ahahah

    ReplyDelete
  10. Like your quote "I believe the street is so full of stories, it is only the matter of opening our eyes to seeing them, and the rest is up to us to capture them. ". Told ya must call you sifu, right?

    ReplyDelete
  11. hey rustie,
    Everyone can say beautiful things, but that doesnt mean anyone is sifu !! ahahaha...
    My kungfu level not enough yet lar.. still far. But slowly working and upgrading skills bit by bit. Maybe one day in far far future.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful story, but ouch! I feel for the Jaguh's rear suspension from taking the load... especially the overweight father.

    ReplyDelete
  13. hey nelson,
    It is a family car !! ahaha

    ReplyDelete