Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Phuket Day 2: Tour Around Phi Phi Island


Side Note: OMG OMG OMG !!!! Evolution coming soon !!!!!

I almost did not have any sleep at all for the first night on Phuket, I saw my watch it was 3 something in the morning and I was still wide awake. I blame the strange bed and the sub-par air-conditioning. My other friends in the room suffered severe mosquito bites. It is interesting to note whenever I am paired with people, mosquitoes usually almost did not make me a target. Perhaps there is something wrong with my blood after all.

*click* image for larger view

*click* image for larger view

The breakfast place and the yummy plate of food !!

The morning of the second day, the crazy Kuching bunch woke up really early and brought our happy empty tummies to the dining hall. In fact we were the first patrons there, and we attacked the buffet. Nothing to shout out, it is your typical hotel breakfast buffet, and the part that beats any hotel in Malaysia would be the availability of real bacon and other pork related dishes. Not having a real, hot pan friend bacon for so long, and tasted on for breakfast on one of the hungriest mornings of my life, I have got to say the day could not have started any better. We all stuffed ourselves like any ordinary Malaysians would do given a buffet encounter. I made a point not to overdo it since the next coming activities would involve a lot of time on the water.

*click* image for larger view

Even the water at the pier was so clear.

*click* image for larger view

We took a boat ride to tour the island.


Having our stommaches filled with delicious food, next we went to the tour agency to grab ourselves a whole day tour around the island. We got ourselves quite a decent deal package which also included lunch and drinks. We jumped on the boat, and off we went out into the waters to explore the beautiful places around the Phi Phi Island !!

FIRST STOP

*click* image for larger view

*click* image for larger view

*click* image for larger view

*click* image for larger view





Our first stop was on a place called Phi Phi Lay, which was a small stretch of beach located on a smaller island away from the main Phi Phi Island where we took our boat from. Approaching this beach of the new island, we could not help ourselves but to stare at it with wonder. It was so amazingly beautiful, that I do not exactly know how to tell every single details in words. Even my photographs cannot represent such feeling and emotion as I was witnessing the awesome creation of God. The water was so clear, reflecting the greens of the hills and blues of the skies, and everything was just so breathtaking. If I were to give a reference to heaven in earthly comparisons, this place has got to be it.

*click* image for larger view

*click* image for larger view

*click* image for larger view

*click* image for larger view



I believe one of the main reason why this place was so heavenly was because there were no people here at the time of our visit. As we stepped our feet there, we were the only ones there, and somehow that made the whole place seem even more heavenly. It was as it the place was untouched by human, and free from the grips of modernization. The beauty was so natural, so precious. It has come to a point it almost felt dreamlike and unreal !!

Next up, we went to another spot nearby the first stop for snorkeling. I remained on the boat with two other friends while the rest of the gang jumped into the water to greet the fishes. It was actually a bad idea to stay on the boat because the water was not exactly calm at that spot. The boat was rocking so hard that after several minutes there, we started to get seasickness. Giddiness started to kick in, and I started to regret eating so much from the buffer breakfast. It came to a point where I almost threw out, but I refrained myself from doing so. After all, I believe it is a sin to pollute such wonderfully crystal clear and beautiful water with human biological discharge. I managed to hold everything in, until we reached the next stop, which was one of the highlights of the morning tour.

MAYA BEACH (where the movie the Beach was filmed)

*click* image for larger view

*click* image for larger view

*click* image for larger view

*click* image for larger view



The highlight was non other than Maya Beach, where the movie starring Leonardo Di Caprio, The Beach was filmed. I personally have not watched this movie yet, and I have heard that the sceneries from the movie was quite awesome. However, I have also heard that in reality, it did not look anything resembling what was portrayed in the movie. It is inevitable how much digital manipulation can alter the appearance in any form of media format. Nonetheless, we were there at Maya Beach, and I can clearly see why people rave about this place so much.


*click* image for larger view

*click* image for larger view

*click* image for larger view

*click* image for larger view



First of all, the view to the open ocean was quite a unique one, overlooking an opening dividing two hilly lands. Secondly, the sand was so white, so clean and so soft !! It was so fine that walking on it was as if I was walking on the baking wheat flour !! The sand felt so comfortably soft on my feet. Thirdly, the shallow, clear and see through waters. You have got to say, when you find a beach so clear and so clean, it just begged you to jump in. Add the dramatically blue sky to the whole picture, there, you have a winner !! I do not exactly know how the Maya Beach from the movie looked like, but here, it was nothing short of stunningly breath stopping. No exaggeration intended.

*click* image for larger view

*click* image for larger view

*click* image for larger view




Some of you who have been following my blog recently will notice my love for doing panorama shots. And so you may ask why no pano attempts at Phuket since this was such a lovely landscape opportunity? I did originally wanted to at least try out a few panorama shooting, but I decided not to do so. Panorama would require me to manually adjust my exposures, and do quite a lot of trials, capturing multiple frames. I may have done this several times before, but I am still quite new to this, and if I decided to do so, it may have taken quite a bit of time. I am on holiday, and travelling with friends, I find it rude to make people wait for me just because I want to have a few widely stitched panorama photographs. No, I am not regretting not having pano output this time, because the 11-22mm has given me a much wider perspective. To others, it may not wide enough, but I believe it does a lot better than what my previous standard kit lens can offer. Oh, and check out the sharpness of the photos !!

We arrived back at the Pier some time before 2pm. We had to check out, and head back to the main Phuket Island via a ferry ride. By the time we got to Phuket main island, it was already near dark. And that my friend, shall be covered in the coming entry.

I personally love the photographs on this entry. I do hope that you guys love them too !!

14 comments:

  1. The skies are so blueeeeeeeeeeeeee...

    The water is so cleeeaarrrrrrrrrrr....

    I hate chiuuuuuuuuuuuu...

    I wanna goooooooooo....

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey chong,
    go go go !!!!!
    and you dont even need CPL for the blueness !!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. absolutely beautiful! water is indeed very very clear. u should do a travel blog!

    -Marcus

    ReplyDelete
  4. hey marcus,
    Thanks dude. But no lah, i have too much to handle oledy ahaha and I dont travel that much !!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for sharing, Robin!
    You really utilize the 11-22 nicely :)
    - Christian

    ReplyDelete
  6. hey christian,
    thanks man !! 11-22 is a wonderful lens !!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The sky seems Na'vi-ishly blue... A little bit over saturated? (i know you tend to saturate your photos more)

    Gahhh.... so wide..... so nice... LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  9. hey allen,
    ahahaha its meant to be waaaaaay over saturdated. I want it that way.

    go go UWA.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  11. We are planning to visit Phi Phi Island in mid-April
    Thank you for posting.
    I've been looking at some of the posts on this website to get an idea about travel in Phuket for my next vacation.

    ReplyDelete
  12. We are planning to go at this beach.

    We are Ocean Geo Divers specialize in phuket thailand diving, scuba dive course phuket and learn scuba dive phuket rawai.

    ReplyDelete