Saturday, February 20, 2010

Empty Homes


I have been rattling on and on, pasting unlimited numbers of photos from my recent Phuket trip here recently, that I might have scared many of you away. You must be thinking, oh no, not another Phuket related entry !! Fear not, lets just take a short break from Phuket-frenzy and this blog shall be focusing on ordinary stuff that I have always been writing about. Of course, I have not abandoned the remaining tales from Phuket, they shall resume soon.

A breather will do me and you beautiful readers some good.

*click* image for larger view

*click* image for larger view

*click* image for larger view



Photography will take you to unexpected places. I was being told of that phrase by a respectable photographer some time ago, and I cannot help to find how true that saying was. I stumbled upon quite an interesting subject today, or shall I say, a place. It was a row of terrace house, very old, and abandoned stretch of homes situated in Dang Wangi, not too far away from the KL Tower. The houses were all open, and by the looks from the outside, there were no one inside. Plants were growing all over, inside out the houses, and there were practically no doors or windows left to cover the openings. As an intrepid photographer wannabe, I armed myself with my trusty Ollie and tip-toed my way inside, having a peek and a few snaps along with that.

*click* image for larger view

*click* image for larger view

*click* image for larger view




The entire place seemed very quiet. Under hot mid-day sun, it was brightly lit, because there was almost no roof on top of the houses. Based on my observation, originally the houses were of two-storeys, but probably due to fire or other demolition-scale incidents, the upper floor wooden slabs were no longer there. The whole place did not look like they could stand for very long, and falling apart was a kind way of describing it. The ground floor was decorated with pieces of glasses, planks of wood, and a batch of unidentified plants and bushes overgrowing each other.

*click* image for larger view

*click* image for larger view

*click* image for larger view




Like any other abandoned places, it is bound to attract the homeless, or more crudely put, the "community rejects". There was stench of urine at certain corners, and that proved the presence of human beings. Although I could not see where they could possibly lay themselves since almost the entire place were covered with plants or pieces of sharp and dangerous wood and glass. I guess, whoever made this their hiding place would not even care about comfort at all, and a roof with holes is better than no roof at all. While I was happily snapping away then it daunted to me that, probably I was not alone. This was after all, still a house, though empty, but it does not necessary mean no one was staying there at the moment.

*click* image for larger view

*click* image for larger view

*click* image for larger view

*click* image for larger view



Sensing the danger, I made my session short, and found my way out as soon as I could. On my exit, I found a few bottles of something rather attractive. They read Aseptone, a brand of some sort, and the main liquid content was Methadone. As I ran my search on the net, the results suggested that methadone is a medical treatment for addiction to drugs such as morphine and codeine. There, the mystery was solved. The place housed probably some heavy drug users, and whenever they run out of whatever substance they were hooked on, they turn to Methadone to lessen the severity of the withdrawal symptoms. It does make me wonder, were any of the people living nearby, the shops and houses know anything about this? The place seemed to be no so hidden, and Capsquare was just nearby. Heck, even a police station was only less than 5 minutes walk away. Perhaps whoever used to be here have been gone. What if they are still around?

Not that any of this could be my business, but I was just passing by.

*click* image for larger view

*click* image for larger view

*click* image for larger view



Some of you may question, jeez, what the heck is with this weird stuff, and of all places, a rundown house? I beg to see things differently. Photography to me, is all about seeing things differently, and presenting the subjects in a way that the viewers have not seen before. Therefore, it is refreshing for me to dig up new things, or subjects that I myself probably have not encountered before. Capturing something fresh, something unseen before brings so much excitement. What I am showing in this entry was probably a world that a small group of community in this giant city was living in. This was their life. Having a glimpse into that, was what I intended to do. We have so much to learn, and we only learn, if we dare to move ourselves to places that we have not been to.

So yeah, have you been to anywhere similar before? Do tell !!

7 comments:

  1. omg u are so brave to venture into such a place!

    -Marcus

    ReplyDelete
  2. marcus,
    curiosity kills the cat. Well, this time, the cat survives.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow..a abandon house sure looks different from your viewfinder. haha. Nice one!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm intrigued by abandoned buildings but have not intentionally ventured into one to photograph it yet. I've just shot the ones I happened upon or visited formally and the images are... somewhere.

    Part of the fun is to see what got left behind and speculate about the people who passed through there.

    This is a gorgeous collection. Shoot more, and be careful out there.

    ReplyDelete
  6. hey rustiez,
    Thanks man !! LOL.. I am sure it looks the same through all oly viewfinders !!

    Hey georgette,
    Thanks !! Me too, being fascinated by adandonned places, and since this one was basically opened (no more doors and windows) I just cannot resist going in to have a look. The next time I return I shall drag some unfortunate souls to tag along.

    ReplyDelete
  7. hello, could this place go with gps? (like waze)
    coz im finding a abandoned place to photo shooting, hope to get ur reply soon, tq

    ReplyDelete