Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Victor & Nicole


Last weekend, I had been given the privilege to be the photographer for Victor and Nicole's actual wedding day. Nicole is a dear sister of Maggie, and Maggie, my friend and colleague has requested my help to capture the beautiful moments of the marriage. The ceremony took place on 17th January, which was last Saturday.

*click* image for larger view

*click* image for larger view

*click* image for larger view



For this particular wedding session, I was armed with only my Olympus E-520, and a single lens. You may wonder what happened to my other lenses. This may come in as a huge surprise to many, but I have managed to let go two of my very precious lenses, namely the pancake and the macro. Therefore, I am now back to where I started a year and a half ago, with just the two basic kit lenses: 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 and 40-150mm F3.5-4.5. Nonetheless, fret not, for I am targeting an upgrade which will happen, very, very soon. I shall keep you guys posted regarding my coming new lens. For now, I am happily using the humble basic kit lenses for my everyday photography demands.

*click* image for larger view

*click* image for larger view

*click* image for larger view



Many people may feel intimidated with using just the basic gears, especially when it comes to demanding tasks such as wedding photography. Of course, everyone wishes to use the top of the line lenses and camera bodies. The bigger the lenses, the better, and the faster the autofocus, the more desired. It is undeniable, better cameras and lenses can help you accomplish greater details, better high ISO noise performance, speedier AF and more accurate focusing, so and so. Nevertheless, the question that bakes the prawn would be this: would they improve your skills in terms of photography? If you are shooting with the exact same angle, with the exact same settings, with the similar perspective and compositions, even if you are using a different set of camera and lenses, your photographs would still come out very similar. This is the single thought that drives me, and many of you can choose to disagree with me, but certainly you are entitled to your own beliefs.

*click* image for larger view

*click* image for larger view

*click* image for larger view



Wedding photography is no easy task for me, since I admit I have limited experience beforehand, but I am slowly, and definitely steadily getting the hang of it. I have mentioned this before, but the huge part of actual day wedding photography actually depends on how you anticipate the events before they unfold, and how prepared you are to shoot each and every moments that would occur throughout the sessions. Very quick response is needed, and even if you reacted to your shutter button a second late, you would have missed out an opportunity that will never return. I am not really a fast-reflex kind of person, but being extra alert all the time does pay off.

*click* image for larger view

*click* image for larger view



Another challenge that I was facing was capturing the atmosphere and the mood of the event. This includes the emotions of people, their facial expressions, body language and so on. I still have quite a bit to work on this part, and most of the time when I point the camera to the people around me, they automatically posed for me. That was not supposed to happen, and the natural feel of the photograph was completely destroyed.

I believe it was the joy of seeing two happy people getting married, that was the ultimate satisfaction being the photographer of the day. And witnessing so many people beaming into laughter, and coming together to celebrate the holy matrimony was really a mood lifter for me.

*click* image for larger view



Congratulations to Victor and Nicole !!!

May the blessings from heaven flow abundantly to your family.

14 comments:

  1. *awe at beautifully taken photos*

    Love the 2nd and 2nd last photos. Kit lens FTW!

    What can I say? Bravo, mate... :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey chong,
    thanks mate !!! I like the second last picture too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. buying new toys i see!

    -Marcus

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow!! can't believe this is taken with kit lens, your skill is just great! would you mind sharing the technique involved while taking wedding pictures like that?

    Tan

    ReplyDelete
  5. hey Tan,
    Thanks !! Kit lens is still a very capable lens, and it is underrated by most people.
    I am not entirely sure how to answer your question. But if you do have specific questions, it would have been easier for me to share my experience. I am glad to do so, but please direct your questions to my email at hamish7ian@gmail.com. I will get back to you from there.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The words of wisdom from Robin. Nice work !. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. hey rustie,
    thanks man !! It was just the summary of our discussion last Saturday ahahah

    hey Curil,
    yeah a passionate one !!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Pretty interesting site you've got here. Thanks for it. I like such themes and anything connected to this matter. I would like to read a bit more soon.

    ReplyDelete
  9. oh my god!u really put so much effort to capture this incredible yet awesome picture.well done bro!

    ReplyDelete
  10. hey aelfi,
    thanks !!! yeah, i definitely put lots of effort in it !!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great captures dude! I like pic 5 and second last

    ReplyDelete
  12. hey aaron,
    thanks mate !! Yeah, second last is my pick too..
    Eh need to learn from you lah. Your pro-ness is of entire level oledy ahahaha

    ReplyDelete