Sunday, December 06, 2009

TV3 Jom Heboh 2009


Side Note:

1) I am taking a very short break from blogging, probably a week or more. I have been religiously blogging here have I not? It is end of the year, and times like these I am extremely caught up with life and its tangles.

2) I am going to Malacca again next week, for the OCF 50th Anniversary Thanksgiving Dinner on 12th December at Hotel Equatorial. I know I know, Malacca again? WTF right?

3) Santa please I promise I will be a good boy. Now can I have my ultra wide angle lens please please please????

4) Man I am freaking broke especially during the end of the year !!


It was a sleepy Saturday morning, when I was curling up comfortably on my soft and warm bed, that suddenly I heard really loud blaring of music coming out of nowhere. At first I suspected it was my useless housemate who had nothing better to do but to make other housemates' lives miserable, but as I gained some consciousness I realized it was coming out of my window. And I figured it must be something that was happening at Bukit Jalil Stadium which was very near to my place, so I shut the window, drew in the second curtain, and fit the spare pillow snugly on top of my ears. It was 10.30am and I refused to wake up. Oh have I mentioned that I am a sleep lover? I was born to sleep. And eat too, while I am not sleeping at times.

*click* image to see its awesomeness

*click* image to see its awesomeness
Open Burning

*click* image to see its awesomeness

Iceman !!


Yes yes I know I am such a lazy bum, so sue me. I finally woke up waaaaay after lunch time, and as I got ready for a few important errands down in the city, I thought to myself, why not check out what all the noise at Bukit Jalil Stadium was all about? So I walked towards the noise, and found myself entering a carnival of some sort. At the entrance there were no labels or signs telling what the event was, so I had to walk in further to finally come to a huge overhanging banner screaming Jom Heboh. Unmistakably this must have been organized by TV3, and not having a TV (I have not watched Malaysian TV since forever) did not help me in keeping myself up to date to the current happenings. I have always been shot at for not knowing what comes up at Bukit Jalil Stadium, especially the international artists and singers having concerts there, since it was only a few minutes walk away from my place, and I need not to worry about jam or parking issues.

So it was a huge, really humongous carnival, taking place at the surrounding carpark space around the stadium. It was a pleasantly overcast day, with thick cloud covering the sky hence the afternoon sun was less intense than it should have been. Good for me to make my walk around and do some really quick snaps. I did not intend to stay long in the first place since I have had the aforementioned errands to run troubling me in my head all the time. I made a full circle of the place, and gaged the overall layout. It does seem that the entire place was mostly made out of three different parts: 1) selling food, or food related items 2) selling pasar malam merchandises such as t-shirts and those fake crocs, and 3) promotional activities by brand specific marketing targets, such as Maggi, or even an FM Radio. Amongst all the other things, there were stages being set-up from place to place, and near to the entrance there was the main one. I automatically figured that there will probably be performances by local artists coming up soon.

*click* image to see its awesomeness

*click* image to see its awesomeness

*click* image to see its awesomeness

One of the ugliest Teddys out there... ever.

*click* image to see its awesomeness

*click* image to see its awesomeness




Actually before this weekend, I was hoping to have the opportunities to photograph people related subjects. I figured, recently I have been obsessed with street shots, urban scapes as well as macro of spiders and insects, somehow my blog lacks the photographs of people. Interestingly things worked out in mysterious ways, firstly was the previous entry on PC Fair, where I got the chance to shoot girls, and now, a carnival, where people do come here from everywhere and all I needed to do was to point my cameras their direction. I would not say that there were that many opportunities, or maybe it was just me rushing through the scene so I still have some time off the afternoon to settle what I was setting out to do in the first place. I walked and snapped quite a number of photographs, and as I was satisfied without tiring myself too much, I made my way to Bukit Jalil LRT station and took a train to the city.

So what was I doing in the city?

Of all the tempting food and local delicacies available at the Carnival, I decided to have my lunch at McDonald's. Well, don't blame me. I somehow have not really found West Malaysian food much to my liking, and for some weird reasons I did not have much appetite during that time. Rm5.99 lunch at Mecca's sounded fabulous, and the unlimitted refill of soft drink on a hot day was a blessing in some sort.

*click* image to see its awesomeness

A real monkey. Talking about animal cruelty.

*click* image to see its awesomeness

*click* image to see its awesomeness

*click* image to see its awesomeness

*click* image to see its awesomeness



After lunch *burp I went to OCBC bank to do a cash transaction to OCF Convention. Yes, the Overseas Christian Fellowship, which I have been a part of during my uni times, is having a convention in Malacca next week. It will be the 50th anniversary celebration, and I was unfortunate not to be able to participate in full. Nonetheless, I have confirmed my attendance for the Saturday (12th December) night Thanksgiving Dinner, and the main reason I am going there is to meet and catch up with some really awesome Perth buddies whom I have not see in almost two years !! Gosh how times flies, and I have not the money to fly back to Perth for vacations, but now that the group of friends are coming over just for the short convention, why not I go and find them instead? I am so looking forward to the Thanksgiving Dinner already.

Settling a few other errands, I finally felt the relief of burden, and instead of heading back home, I decided to give the TV3 Jom Heboh Carnival another spin. This time, not having that much to worry about in my head, I went there just after sunset and hoping something huge will happen on stage. As I have arrived to the stage area, the whole place was already flooded with people. I figured it would have been a disaster, since I could not get close enough, I would not be able to obtain any usable shots later. Sometimes, due to will power, things do work out, and this was one of those times and miracle or not, I found myself standing at the very front row of the stage, though a little bit to the side. At that time it was getting dark already, and I had absolutely no idea what I was expecting to happen on stage.

*click* image to see its awesomeness

*click* image to see its awesomeness

*click* image to see its awesomeness

Some TV Celebrity, the girls were all over him. Crazy !!

*click* image to see its awesomeness

*click* image to see its awesomeness

Hanging by the rope...


Not too long after that, a Malay girl with headscarf went on stage with a guitar. At first I thought she was a back-up guitarist, but I was gravely mistaken. She was one of the newcomer to Malaysia music scene, and already made her name known. Yuna, though it was the first time I saw her, and knew of her songs, I found myself loving her music !! A lot of people may have swayed in opinion seeing how she portrayed herself in public (wearing the headscarf) but let me beg to differ in opinion. I believe a singer/artist should not rely on his/her looks to sell, instead what truly matters would be the true talent and art !! I do not care how sexy you look, but if your voice sucks like Mariah Carey (gosh why is she still alive), no matter how much breast you bear your songs still suck. Yuna depends entirely on her skills, and this was why I admire her. Her voice was unique, and the fact that she plays her own guitar takes her off to another level altogether.

I was hoping to see other Malaysian artists performing on stage, but to my disappointment, that was all we got. Yuna, and only two songs !!!! Then what was all the fuss and excitement for? Only two songs? So blardy not worth it. I thought it would have been at least an hour worth of live performance from local singers, or indie bands. I guess that was too much to ask for.


*click* image to see its awesomeness

Look at the crowd !! Its crazy.

*click* image to see its awesomeness

Yuna performing live.

*click* image to see its awesomeness

*click* image to see its awesomeness




I was getting more loose and lighter on the photography side of things. During the earlier afternoon sessions, I was more focused on people and their actions. It was not easy shooting people, because most of them would be aware of me and my tele lens pointing at them, which was destructive because their reactions and facial expressions would no longer be natural. I have missed many chances, and I seriously needed more training in this department. Nonetheless, it was quite rushed, so I did not expect any super-cool shots. If I have stayed longer and be more patient, while waiting and scouting for better photo-opportunities, I am sure the photo-outputs would have been better.

The night session was quite interesting. It has been a while since I have been to a live-stage performance. You have no idea what the thrill was !! Standing in the middle of hundreds of people, and the heavy bass pumping and thumping from the speaker nearby, fighting with your heartbeat were just what I needed for a Saturday night. To take the stage photographs, I set my ISO to 400, and did not engage the flash, but just gather whatever available light. I thought I was standing too far off, the flash would not reach the subjects properly anyway. And the stage lighting set-up was quite good, I could achieve very high shutter speed even by limiting my ISO to only 400.

*click* image to see its awesomeness

*click* image to see its awesomeness

Some random band performing at Hotlink booth.

So there you go, a Saturday fun-filled with TV3 Jom Heboh Carnival. No I am not very much into minggling with the flocks of sweaty and crazy people, but I guess there are times I just do not feel much alive when I do almost everything alone during the weekends. Getting my ass out of my room does help my troubled mind a little.

So anyone of you went to the PC Fair or Jom Heboh Carnival? Do tell !!

4 comments:

  1. Lol... some of ur pics look creepy lah. U must be "in a troubled state of mind" hahaha... =P

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey fish tan,
    LOLLL creepy meh????? LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. dude.. great pics. yesterday passed by bukit jalil. so damn jam. then i thinking if you got go or not cos you stay nearby.. hehe

    keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. hey aaron,
    Thanks dude. Wah, it must have been a massive jam !! People coming from everywhere, its crazy.

    ReplyDelete