Friday, December 25, 2009

TGIF Christmas & Birthday Dinner


Just when I thought I was going to have yet another lonely and emo Christmas, having dinner at KFC and then staring at the computer LCD screen endlessly throughout the night and the day of the festivity, I suddenly received an SMS from a dear friend Ivan. There was this dinner organized at TGIF and he was kind enough to ask me to join in. I figured, why not? It sure beats the hell out of emo-ing at home.

The dinner was also something I can look forward to at the end of such a dramatic and tiresome week at work.

*click* image for larger view

*click* image for larger view



Just as I thought I could leave work early on the eve for the dinner at TFI Fridays, The Curve, there was a presentation being held at my office, which I could not exactly run away from. Hence, there was quite a delay, since I got off from work around 6.15pm, and the dinner meet was at 8pm !! Travelling from my work place to The Curve was not exactly that easy, I had to take a train, and then a bus ride, which would easily be more than two hours journey, considering the holiday traffic jam, horrendous waiting times for the arrival of public transport and walking durations. I made my way to TGIF, and I was late, but thankfully I was not the last one to arrive.

We found ourselves a spot in TGIF, after some wrestling with the staff about how we should get a table first although not all of us were present. There has been this odd trend of restaurant chains for not letting the patrons having their seats, although they have made early reservations prior to the dinner, just simply because not everyone is present at the moment of seating. Smart move for keeping the place as full as possible since there would virtually be no empty seats if every single person who made reservations turn up and walk in at the same time. Nonetheless, it was rather inconvenient since we all would arrive at different times, and sometimes it is nice to be able to sit down and have a glass of drink while waiting for the rest of the group to arrive. Perhaps a light snack or appetizer to kill off the unbearable hunger as well? This system is not something I entirely agree with, but what the hell, it has been practiced in TGIF and Chili's.

*click* image for larger view

*click* image for larger view

*click* image for larger view

Thanks guys for the gifts !! I really, really love them.

The three guys, Ivan, Sun and me arrived before 8.30pm, and we waited for the girls to arrive...... Sammie and Yuki... at.... an ungodly... 10pm!! It was totally understandable since the night was Christmas eve, and commercial places such as the Curve would definitely be flocked with creatures and vultures from God knows where, creating massive jam and the near impossibility to find a parking spot. Thank goodness for the refillable drinks, though we almost died of hunger waiting for the girls, there was water to gulp down.

However, the main purpose of us going to TGIF was because their main Christmas special menu listed Turkey as one of their options in the main course set meals. It is not an everyday thing for Malaysians to have Turkey, as we do not celebrate Thanksgiving that prominently like the Americans. Nonetheless, it would be more Christmas-y to have Turkey. Much to our dismay, the turkey has already ran out at the time we placed our orders !!! It was quite unfortunate really, but we made the best we could with the rest of the options offered in the menu. For RM65, you get to choose one appetizer, one main course and one desert. Quite an expensive set price, if you ask me, but since it was Christmas, I guess it is alright to splurge a little just for the occasion. The choices for the main course are Chicken, Salmon or Spaghetti. I opted for the Salmon, since I seldom have it. For appetizer, I had chicken strips with Jack Daniel's sauce, and mud cake for desert.

*click* image for larger view

Me, Yuki and Sammie

*click* image for larger view

*click* image for larger view

Ivan and Sun

*click* image for larger view

Sammie and Sun


To be honest this was my first visit to TGIF, since I am quite a poor engineer. I do find their serving portions rather large. The baked salmon was quite good, with the outside being crispy but the inside still soft and tender, without losing moisture. I rate the salmon very, very good and satisfying. It was served on top of bed of yellowish rice, which I could not figure out what it was. There was some freshly steamed broccolis at the side with butter-mushroom sauce. I love the HUGE broccolis !! I am a salmon lover by the way, I actually would prefer eating salmon raw, but I know well the fact that raw fish can lead to many health hazards.

Nonetheless the same case cannot be commented on the chicken which Ivan, Sammie and Yuki had. They claimed that the chicken was too dry and hard, and even cutting it with knife was a challenge to them. Good thing I opted for Salmon.

*click* image for larger view

*click* image for larger view

*click* image for larger view

Appetizers: Nacho Chicken, and Chicken Stip in Jack Daniel's Sauce


*click* image for larger view

*click* image for larger view

*click* image for larger view

Main Course: Jack Daniel's Chicken, Grilled Cedar Salmon, and Chicken & Shrimp Diablo.

The Jack Daniel's Chicken photo was taken by Ivan. What a good composition man !! You should be using s DSLR. I am serious.


I did not realize that Ivan actually remembered my birthday !!! The eve was not my actual day, and I was born on the Boxing Day anyway. It was two days in advance, but cheeky Ivan just could resist it an alerted the TGIF staff. They came out with a slice of cake with a candle lit on top of it. I know this was my first time in TGIF but I have heard scary stories of my other friends who went there for birthdays before. I was asked to stand on the chair, give a speech, and then the others would sing Happy Birthday to me. So much for not wanting to attract attention, but yeah, it was interesting to have really wacky friends so willing to see you do crazy things. I guess it did come by surprise but what a splendid surprise it was !! Thanks guys, all of you for making the night quite a special one for me. I truly appreciate it, heaps !!

I actually only brought along my usual document bag, which was quite small in size. But in the bag I managed to stuff my Olympus E-520 with the pancake lens 25mm F2.8 attached to it. I did not want to make such long travels with a separate gigantic camera bag. Somehow I find it working really well !! I managed to hide my camera inside such an innocent and ordinary looking bag, and who needs the Think Tank Urban Disguise anyway? But I don't mind having one if you give it to me as a Christmas or Birthday present. *wink *wink

*click* image for larger view

*click* image for larger view

Deserts: Mocha mud pie and Small Deserts

*click* image for larger view

Sammie Enjoying her Sweet Chocolate treats.


After the dinner at TGIF, as we were heading off from The Curve, witnessing the aftermath of degenerated/reversed evolution process of human beings, we were pulled into the crowd of madness. Not long after that, we found ourselves shaking our body and banging our heads to the club mix in the nearby bar. What an unexpected turnout !! I know I know, I have been preaching all the time about the real meaning of Christmas and partying is not an appropriate way to symbolize the celebration of Christmas. It was such a spur of the moment thing, we all just went in and grabbed the moment. Not a bad crowd, and really awesome in-house music.

*click* image for larger view

*click* image for larger view

*click* image for larger view

Happy Birthday to Robin Wong !!


After the head banging activity we had, Sun and Yuki left. Ivan, Sammie and I stayed on, joining Yat and his friend for a teh tarik session at a nearby outdoor mamak place. It has been quite a while since I pull out an all nighter like this. It was quite interesting because my biological clock was asking me to sleep sleep sleep, but my mind was so awake that I can feel my mind and body fighting. After hearing wonderful, wild and juicy stories Sammie brought forward from all her previous encounters and out of the world experiences, it was worth staying wide awake for. We were there until the place shut down, and it was already near sunrise.

I arrived home at 7.15am in the morning. I took a quick shower, and found my bed inviting me.


What a Christmas celebration that was !! I sure had a great time with the gang of awesome people, thanks to Ivan for having me, and most of all, thanks Sammie for staying with us all the time. I do hope you guys had as much fun as I did.

*click* image for larger view

*click* image for larger view



So yeah, Merry Christmas to all of you beautiful people out there, and Happy Birthday to me !!

OMG I am OLD !!!!!!!!!!!! Help.. somebody.. help...

(you can help by giving me lots and lots of presents)

9 comments:

  1. Merry Christmas!

    Happy Birthday!

    Erm.. and a Happy New Year? :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey chong,
    thanks mate !!
    Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you too man.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hey allen,
    yeah man !!! Canon girl rocks !!

    ReplyDelete
  4. happy bday and merry xmas mate! omg your hair is so short!

    -Marcus

    ReplyDelete
  5. hey marcus,
    thanks !! ahahhaa... lazy wanna visit the barber so frequently, so make it shorter !

    ReplyDelete
  6. Merry Christmas to you too dude! Ahh wish i was back in Malaysia.. there's no Christmas mood here at all.. exams even on Christmas day! Unbelievable lol But oh well.. we should have a TT when i'm back btw! haha

    ReplyDelete
  7. hey evan chua,
    whoah your place Christmas no holidays? how come??????
    Yikes, exam on Christmas is not cool.
    yeah come back malaysia, we go TT !

    ReplyDelete
  8. Opulently I acquiesce in but I dream the collection should secure more info then it has.

    ReplyDelete