Friday, December 04, 2009

PC Fair Again?


I know I have been posting heavily on street photography, and also very much on macro. As much as I have been crazy about the above-mentioned two categories of photography, I have not forgotten the joy of photographing chicks. Yes, I am still loyal to this blog, and to you beautiful guys out there, so I guess it has been quite a while since I posted up photos of lovely girls. So here goes.

*click* image to see its awesomeness

*click* image to see its awesomeness

*click* image to see its awesomeness



When I was browsing through the photography forums on the free public event listings, I have come across an event which I am no longer a stranger to: The Pikom PC Fair. Since when did the PC Fair become a photography event? I suppose that was a rhetorical queation. Yes, it was since the geeks decided that in order to sell, you need sex appeal, and the best way to pull the crowd in was to utilize some really attractive looking young girls clad in very minimal clothings that I think many would not go home feeling empty handed even if they did not buy a thing. Promo-models everywhere in the exhibition halls, selling different brands and stuff, have somehow become a popular trend over the past few years at PC Fair. Photographers (or rather the wannabes such as myself) love free stuff, so how can we say no to those freely and readily available for your camera girls?

*click* image to see its awesomeness

*click* image to see its awesomeness

*click* image to see its awesomeness

*click* image to see its awesomeness

*click* image to see its awesomeness




The models started in the early times really shy, but times have changed and the girls are getting more and more daring these days. You do not even have to ask them to do anything, just point your camera at them and they automatically changed into posing frenzy mode, and you are free to do your stuff. Then, they would request to have your photos being reviewed on the spot, and if they found anything they want, they would give you their emails and request that you send a copy for them. Previously, photographers were the ones asking for their emails to send the pictures, as an excuse so that they can get their contacts of the models, but gosh, what has happened now???? Everything turned upside down, the girls were the ones giving their emails away.

Earlier this evening, there were even some over-zealous photographers who spent time with the girls as if they were their hired models, arranging them, commenting on where they should put their arms, how they should bend their bodies, and the way they smile. Seriously dude... come on.. loosen up, this was a merely public event, why were you turning it into your private model shoot session? Geez... go get your own models lah !!

*click* image to see its awesomeness

*click* image to see its awesomeness

*click* image to see its awesomeness



Ok some non chick stuff here....

*click* image to see its awesomeness



Olympus PEN E-P2

*click* image to see its awesomeness





The coolest part of the model hunts around those exhibition hall has got to be this particular scene when I was shooting alongside a group of other photographers with impossibly huge guns. They were using the likes of those gigantic lenses such as 70-200, which meant they needed to stand quite a distance away to fit two to three girls into a single frame. Gosh, why can't they just used the likes of 50mm primes, or the standard zoom lenses? Even so, they kept asking the girls to SQUEEZE in tighter and tighter, to a point that the girls looked really uncomfortable. Of course I gave them all the time they needed to take their photos. Then once they were done, I went right to the front and smiled to the girls, and said "its ok, you can relax, no need to squeeze so tight." And so I shot them posing in more relaxed and casual manner, with my 25mm Pancake. They could not believe I could fit them into my single frame, since I was standing so close to them, and they did NOT squeeze like sardines in a can before. I showed them the photo, and they all went "WOW !! Really can fit!!".

And one of them asked me "How come just now they asked us to keep squeezing??" I went close to them, and whispered a secret..."because my lens is BETTER". They all burst into explosive laughters like hyenas. So I left them and the group of "pro" photographers with huge guns, with a smirk in my face. Not that I needed to explain myself or to prove anything to them.

Pancake vs super huge tele lenses. Pancake SCORES 1, super huge tele lenses ZERO. Muahahahahahahahahahahhhaahah... Man I feel so evil.

*click* image to see its awesomeness

*click* image to see its awesomeness

*click* image to see its awesomeness



Photo Note: In the above two photos, i have gathered in too much ambient light, rendering very strong colour cast on the skin tone. I realized the problem and I worked around it by over-powering the ambient light with higher intensity flash output. The shot below is much more pleasant in terms of colour balance, and skin tone.

*click* image to see its awesomeness



I stopped by the Olympus booth to have my feast on the newly launched Olympus PEN E-P2, the second line-up of micro four-thirds camera. It did feel very similar to its predecessor, E-P1, and they both looked very much alike, with different colour scheme of course. The electronic viewfinder was very interesting, even under such dim light conditions inside the hall, it seems to be very usable, and lag-free. The best thing about the electronic viewfinder is the ability to use it as the photo preview after every shot. For DSLRs, you need to see the previews on your LCD screen, which can be a fuss at times. Nonetheless, this shows much promise on the micro Four-Thirds breed of cameras. Much improvements still needed in order for it to surpass what a DSLR can offer on the whole, but it is getting very, very close now.

So yeah, the weekend is here again. For this time, I shall just take it easy, and relax. Because I know, for the following few coming weekends, I will be busy as hell.

Christmas is coming soon. Shall it be an emo one this year?

10 comments:

  1. wah, i never really shoot in a pc fair, simply because there aren't many models in JB pc fair...but if i'm to try shooting this time, could you give me some advices regarding the flash usage please?? like how to position the flash, bounce flash? diffusser? auto? or manual?

    a fan of yours
    Tan

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey Tan,
    Whoah.. I got a fan !! Thanks mate.. ahahah...
    Anyway, I would love to share what I know, though I am still very new to photography. Please send me an email at hamish7ian@gmail.com so I can get back to you. It is too long to describe here.
    Cheers mate !!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sui! I thought this time I couldn't make it for PC fair so knot take pc fair babes liaw.. but luckily u got take hahaha...

    ReplyDelete
  4. hey chun chow,
    tomorrow still have, go go go

    ReplyDelete
  5. strongly agree!!! ur lens n skills is better :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. hey hua,
    thanks, but i was just kidding with the girls ahahah...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Robin~ So u confirm coming this coming weekend? please make sure u bring all the photos to me ya... ? :p muahhahaa....

    D'WinBreaker

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hahaha...

    I came with only my Canon S90... that's even a much smaller camera!!

    But, I went there for 1 reason, and 1 reason only.. to meet Leo and get the E-P2 for review.. :)

    getting it tomorrow, if I have time to drop by Oly... :)

    Well, you are right... these 70-200 guns are really at the wrong place and the wrong time. best to use S90 with F2.0 lens.. ahahahahah!

    ReplyDelete
  9. hey fred,
    yerrr.. come KL snap the photos yourself lerrr...

    hey fahrur,
    ahahah, so finally you are geting one to play for yourself !!
    still attached to your s90 eh? you cant seem to let go of that camera !!

    ReplyDelete
  10. OMG~ those chicks really rocks!

    I never bring my gadgets there, abit pitty lar. But oso lucky i didn't bring up, coz need carry up many things after "shopping"!

    HAha~

    ReplyDelete