Monday, December 28, 2009

Birthday Dinner @ Shogun


So how has everyone been? How was your Christmas celebration going on? Do share some stories !!

My celebrations for Christmas, and the subsequent day, my Birthday have been quite interesting this year. I dug out some old catalogs and promotional brochures that came along with the credit card statement and found that I could actually get quite a decent amount of discounts dining at Shogun. Since I have always been craving for Japanese food, and I have not had my regular dosage these days, I figured out, why not go there and eat my heart out? I asked Chun Chow and Wendy and thank goodness they were free for dinner, and so we went and feasted like there was no tomorrow. Alright, it was less dramatic than how I have just described it, really.



*click* image for larger view

*click* image for larger view

We visited The Gardens, Mid Valley earlier.

*click* image for larger view

*click* image for larger view

*click* image for larger view

Chun Chow, Wendy and me at Little Penang, Mid Valley. We had Ice Kacang each there.

We went to Sunway Pyramid, and it was already 6.30pm. Dinner session for Shogun commenced at 6pm, by the time we arrived the place was already jam packed !! We have to be put on the waiting list. The number was not very encouraging, and they told us we had to wait for quite a while. I asked if we could go and have a stroll elsewhere, then when the seats were available, could they give us a call on the mobile and have us there. They did not allow such requests, and the patrons will have to remain there waiting until the seats were available. Bad luck for us, and our tummies were grumbling already considering the light lunch we all had earlier.

*click* image for larger view

*click* image for larger view

*click* image for larger view

At Sunway Pyramid on the night of my birthday, I bumped into Jian aka Miao aka Akiraceo and SleepyHao !! What a coincidence !!


We also noticed that there were many empty tables in the premise, and no surprise, many people have made early reservations but have not turned out. So we were told later that, in half an hours time, if the reservations failed to turn up, slots would be open for us. It did not take that long, and soon enough we found ourselves storming the buffet tables and helping ourselves to platefuls of food. Oh, bliss !!

I know I know, I can be such a glutton at times. But hey, it was my birthday, so cut me some slack will you?

Photography is prohibited in Shogun, it was a rule we all knew. Knowing that we were not allowed to take photos, I was somehow tempted to do so. Call me rebellious, but we all get kicks out of doing something wrong. The Spartans believe that it is not wrong for one to steal, and he would only be considered a thief if one gets caught. Therefore the trick here was plain simple: do not get caught. It was a challenge itself: discrete and stealth photography. Hiding the camera in the bag when the staffs were walking around, and when they were out of sight, or not within the zone if sight (where they can visibly see the camera) I would pull the camera out and start shooting like crazy. Then when one of the staff came along, into the bag the camera went.

I know I must be crazy.

But it was hell fun !!

*click* image for larger view

*click* image for larger view

*click* image for larger view

*click* image for larger view

Salmon Sushi, Prawn/Vegie Tempura, Unagi Sushi, and Soft Shell Crab

*click* image for larger view

*click* image for larger view

*click* image for larger view

*click* image for larger view

Baked Cheese Oyster, Baked Salmon Chunks, Lamb Shank, Dory Fish

*click* image for larger view

Of course, not to be missed, deserts: Sago Honey Dew, Fruit slices, and cakes.


Considering the fact that I was shooting the photos in a hurry, the composition of the food was a little off. Nonetheless, it was nice to see what I have eaten. Of course there were a lot more plates without photographs taken, simply because they were the same food, or the arrangements were too messy to be presented.

On photography note, the lighting condition was quite horrendous. I did not use the external flash, and I shot all the photos in this entry with no aid of flash. By using natural lighting, the photos come out more natural and pleasing, but there are some issues to be addressed:

1) Slow shutter speed, even at F/2.8 and ISO800, an adequately exposed photograph would require shutter speed between 1/8 seconds to 1/15 seconds. This was a nightmare, since shooting handheld with shutter speed slower than 1/60seconds are subjected to hand shake. I decided not to push up my ISO to 1600, because my Olympus cannot handle the noise very well at that setting. Hence, I had no choice but to steady my hands.

2) White Balance under tungsten light. It was difficult to adjust the white balance accurately, and I refused to shoot in RAW, which many people would hammer me for. Nonetheless, a little post processing can salvage the shots.


Shogun may not exactly be the best choice of Japanese buffet in KL, in comparison to the likes of Jogoya or Tenchi, but the lower pricing attracted poorer people, just like me. I cannot justify the fact of spending near 100 bucks just for dinner, no matter how good it is. For the price of Shogun (RM60++ weekend dinner) there was compromise in terms of variety, but the food was not too bad. My stomach capacity cannot fill in everything anyway, so I only took in those food that I really like, and if I managed to stuff in every single thing I like, I would go out of the restaurant happy and satisfied.

*click* image for larger view

*click* image for larger view

*click* image for larger view

*click* image for larger view

After Dinner exercise activities, with Chun Chow and Wendy.


After dinner we decided to take a stroll at Sunway Pyramid, and do the mandatory camwhoring activities. We visited the newly opened Full House, and just went in to take photographs. We even had to wait in line for that to happen. I do not quite get the hoo haas of that place, but I guess I will have to find it out myself next time, and see if it lives up to its reputation.

I think I have eaten too much good stuff this month. Not that I am fully at fault, I blame it on the holidays. Food is meant to be enjoyed, and I have confessed this a couple of times before, I will say it again: I live to eat. Period.

If you do not enjoy food, something must be wrong with you.

3 comments:

  1. Easily I assent to but I think the collection should have more info then it has.

    ReplyDelete
  2. wah buffet.. its something i long for. happy belated birthday btw!

    ReplyDelete
  3. hey evan chua,
    yeah man, come back to malaysia and perhaps we shall go eat buffet !!

    ReplyDelete