Saturday, November 28, 2009

Unknown Streets


Back in my old days, when I do have free time, which was plentiful long time ago, I would make a spontaneous exploration on my own to any random places in Perth. I would take a train or bus to one sub-urb I have not been to, and made my tour around the place on foot, hoping to find something interesting. Most of the time the things I have found did not dissapoint, and I love to go to different places and see different things, even if it means those far corners which i have not encountered just yet. Of course, one would defend the fact that KL is not exactly tourist friendly in terms of safety, and walking around alone is strongly discouraged. Nonetheless, I have been here for more than a year now, and I think it is time, to pick up some old habits of mine.

*click* image to see its awesomeness

*click* image to see its awesomeness

*click* image to see its awesomeness



Photo Note: Ultra Wide Angle emulation from stitching panorama shots using a software. Not too bad, but not even close to the real thing.


I woke up later than usual on this Godsent holiday, and it was already after noon when I made my way out of the house with my gears. I purposely walked the path in the city which I have not taken before, and by doing so I was hoping to end up in places which would yield me some really interesting photographs. I was not exactly sure what I wanted to photograph on this particular session, but I did have some experiments which I wanted to do in mind. Instead of planning everything and following the plan all the time, I just went with the flow and capture whatever sparked my interest as I went along this really random journey. I must say, there were many interesting places which I never knew existed, though I have been here in this concrete jungle for quite some time already.

*click* image to see its awesomeness

*click* image to see its awesomeness

*click* image to see its awesomeness

*click* image to see its awesomeness

*click* image to see its awesomeness



Photo Note: Found some street art going on the temporary partition walls, which reminded me of some really cool graffiti shots Brandon took in Melbourne.


One of the said experimentations I had in mind was to improve my panorama shots. instead of shooting wide open, I have zoomed in to 18mm (widest is 14mm on my standard kit lens) and this would result in more efficient stitching and less distortions. However, when I was doing the stitching on my computer, I thought what the heck, why not add some exaggeration on the perspectives, and try to emulate the effects which one could only achieve with an ultra wide angle lens? A lot of people, especially those technical junkies from the God-forbidden forum members would scream till cows drop dead about the technical faults of the photograph concerning architecture and building shots, and how they should be perfectly vertical and not having even the slightest distortion at all. I for one do not care about those pointless laments. Yes, technically the photographs have faults, but I am not striving for technical excellence here. The true form of art is to appreciate the flaws and turn the weaknesses into something beautiful. This, is harder to achieve, rather than just empty cans banging loud noises.

*click* image to see its awesomeness

*click* image to see its awesomeness

*click* image to see its awesomeness




During my random walking around, I have stumbled upon this interesting place called Cap Square. The place seems to be deserted during the day time, and by the looks of it, should be quite happening at night. There were several line-ups of clubs and the stench of smoke and alcohol were evident even on the streets. There was also residential area in the district, and security guards were everywhere, patrolling all over the place. Photography is restricted, for security reasons I suppose, but I did not intend to leave the place empty handed. When no one was looking, I got my shutter running. When i detect the guard approaching, I made my move. I got to say it was too bad though, because the place seems to have a lot of interesting subjects for me to play with. I just made the best of what opportunities I had, and made my run before the guards even had a chance of closing in to me.

*click* image to see its awesomeness

*click* image to see its awesomeness

*click* image to see its awesomeness

*click* image to see its awesomeness



Photo Note: There was a street performance just outside Pavilion. Oh and the poor kid, he must have tasted the sting of boredom.


I intended to walk until sunset, and capture the intense sun rays on the buildings during the times approaching golden hour. As always, luck is never on my side. It rained later in the afternoon, and I took shelter in the Pavilion KL, doing some pointless window shopping while drying my sweat drenched shirt in the air-condition. Just as the rain has cleared it was already dark outside, and there was no sunset time for me to play with my camera. What a bummer !!!

*click* image to see its awesomeness

*click* image to see its awesomeness

*click* image to see its awesomeness



Photo Note: For those of you who forgot how I look like, here is one photo of me taken by Frederick last week.


Not satisfied with what I had so far, I continued my shooting session outside, just in front of Pavilion. There were already some very nice Christmas decors and exhibits being displayed but like any other nice places in Malaysia, it was flooded with vultures. So many people flocked the entire area that I think the colony of ants would be outnumbered. Then I heard a street performer playing something really catchy nearby, and so I went on and took some snaps. It was truly awesome, being gathered in a lively crowd on a Friday night, listening to cool live performance under the chilly, moist after-rain atmosphere. I did not use the flash, but simply bumped up the ISO to gather the surrounding lights, which was not very good, and I did not really liked the overall colour turn out. Noise is another issue, but lets just skip this very boring part.

So yeah, that was a great start for this rare, long weekend. I am anticipating more interesting shutter therapy sessions.

5 comments:

  1. I like walk alone get some street shots, but i totaly agreed with u walking in KL streets, safety at first!

    Once i walked at Petaling Street lift up my camera my fren quickly push my camera into my bag again :(

    Nice Wide scenes ler, so wanted to get an wide lens liao :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey anston,
    thanks man !!
    Yalor... safety is very important. At least I do not go to those dangerous places like the petaling street. That one is super risky to carry out a camera.
    Come lets go buy ultra wide angle lens together gether !!
    *checks wallet
    Aiyaks.. tak cukup ler...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like No. 4 to No. 8 pics. Nicely taken! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. loving those shots dude! looking forward to some xmas themed photos!

    -Marcus

    ReplyDelete
  5. hey chong,
    thanks !! Those are my favourites too !!

    hey marcus !!
    They will come I assure you !

    ReplyDelete