Monday, November 23, 2009

The Sleepy Weekends


I have not been blogging faithfully here, have I? A lot have happened recently and I do not have much time to sit back and digest all the details just yet. Tonight as I type down this entry, is the first one I have to actually sit down and just blast my stereo, sipping down my iced milo away, out of many nights of work obligations as well as off-work activities. My weekend itself has been one heck of a busy one, but turned out to be rather fruitful in many ways. So yeah, here I am, glad to finally be able to catch my breath just for a few ticks.

*click* image to see its awesomeness

*click* image to see its awesomeness

*click* image to see its awesomeness




On Saturday I had a chance to witness and photograph a Portugese Wedding ceremony happening in Malacca. Yes, I know I was there a couple of weeks ago, and there I was again two days ago. Some people started to call me a Malacca-freak. This time I was actually helping a friend out on his wedding photoshoot, so not entirely a holiday for me, but I had to drag my huge heavy ass out for a full day shooting. The couple has kindly requested not to publish their photographs online, so to honour that I shall only include side-photographs which do not show any face or people in particular.

It was also an unfortunate case for me to skip an Olympus E-System Gathering which was happening at the very same Saturday. David Chua was the invited speaker, and I was looking forward to the event and started making my RSVP immediately once the announcement was made online. Nonetheless I had to cancel that, and there goes all the free food and the chance to play with the new Olympus PEN E-P2 which is the latest addition to the line-up of Micro FourThirds bodies from Olympus. This was also the first time I have skipped a gathering organized by Olympus Malaysia.

*click* image to see its awesomeness

*click* image to see its awesomeness

*click* image to see its awesomeness



Photo Note: Man, I so blardy need an Ultra Wide Angle.

One door closed, another one will open, and sure enough I have gained more from my presence in the Portugese Wedding ceremony. It was quite refreshing photographing something other than just the ordinary Chinese Wedding. The couple were Catholics, and the church ceremony was held at St Peter’s Church, one of the oldest churches in Malaysia (built in 1710). If I had more time I would have done my currently obsessed panorama shots of the church building and its awesome interiors. It was my first visit to the historical church, and also, my first attendance to a Catholic wedding.

*click* image to see its awesomeness

*click* image to see its awesomeness

*click* image to see its awesomeness



It was quite interesting to witness a Catholic wedding ceremony. The whole arrangement of events was very similar to what we call the order of Liturgy back in my home church, St Thomas, which is the Anglican. The prayers were similar, and the most interesting of all, the Eucharistic prayers leading to the communion were astonishingly identical !! However, I do feel that the lack of a real church organ kills off the mood somehow, considering the mass was held in an ancient church, a herritage property of Malacca. Nonetheless, the similarity somehow brought tiny drops of nostalgic tears to me, because I somehow miss my home church, very, very much.

*click* image to see its awesomeness

*click* image to see its awesomeness

*click* image to see its awesomeness



Photo Note: The Wedding photographer, Frederick with Olympus E-System.

So there it was, a weekend that I originally intended for so many other reasons and purposes, but for unknown certainties I ended up in Malacca. Who says I cannot have my shutter therapy while I was on a photography assignment? If you love what you do, you do it with all your heart. And you will find joy in it, because it is what defines who you are.

So the question now is, who am I? Oh dear, it is getting a little early to have a mid-life crisis, is it not?

7 comments:

  1. Awesome picture, teach me, sifu!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey jasonmumbles,
    thanks.. but what lah.. my skills are still kinda noob. Nothing sifu-worthy

    ReplyDelete
  3. hey there, i'm Roxanne, we sat on the same table that dinner~

    i really admire ur shots~! really fantastic~!

    ReplyDelete
  4. hey roxanne !!!
    Thanks a lot !!! Glad to know you during the dinner too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Catholic and Anglican are indeed identical in some ways. If you are interested to look back into history, King Henry VIII started the Anglican church because he wanted to divorce his first wife and the Pope said he was not allowed to do that. And the story goes on from there...

    Articles csn be further obtain from google search.

    ReplyDelete