Sunday, November 01, 2009

RiverFall Engineers @ Ulu Yam


It was such a beautiful Saturday morning, the sky was gray, the sound of gentle rain falling outside the window, the coldness of the air just touches your sleepy soul so comfortably that nothing screams louder in your mind than getting back to sleep and forget about everything else. Unfortunately, as lazy as this Saturday was supposed to be, all the junior engineers in my company were forced had to attend a half day workshop regarding Geological Rock Mapping. I dragged my huge heavy ass out of the house and actually got myself at office earlier than most of my colleagues. To my surprise, the attendance for junior engineers were FULL, and thank goodness I did not give in to my sleep, or else my absence must have been a hot coffee topic amongst the attendees.

OUTDOOR PICNIC, by the RIVER

*click* image to see its awesomeness

*click* image to see its awesomeness




INTO THE RIVERFALL

*click* image to see its awesomeness




Alright, i partially lied when I mentioned I was reluctant to wake up. The young engineers have already cooked up some really awesome plans to counter the dreadfulness of a workshop on Saturday. Since our dear colleague Wei Chen was leaving, we intended to create a sort of farewell celebration for him. Another colleague suggested we have a picnic party at the riverfall (that was how he describes a waterfall, go figure) and have ourselves a blast of a time just after the Geological Rock mapping session. It was due to activities like these that we found ourselves enough motivation to plough through the day and make our lives more worth living for.

PLAYING WITH WATER

*click* image to see its awesomeness

*click* image to see its awesomeness

*click* image to see its awesomeness

*click* image to see its awesomeness

*click* image to see its awesomeness




The geological rock mapping session ended a little later than expected, but it did not tarnish our spirit of getting wet and splashing in the oh-so-clean waters of the river. We drove almost an hour from the site visit point to the Ulu Yam waterfalls. Upon arrival, we set up the huge carpet on the floor and started paying out the home-made nasi lemak with a variety of "lauk", prepared with much love courtesy of beloved Midi. I have got to say his Nasi Lemak was one of the best ones I have tasted so far, and I could not help it but stuffed myself with two plateful. The lunch we had was just by the river, and it has been a looooooong while since I have had a meal outdoors, ala-nature. It was certainly refreshing having our lunch with a bunch of colleagues whom we worked with in office but seldom let ourselves loose since we were all expected to "act professionally" during office hours. Delicious food with awesome awesome company, with the sound of the water rushing in the background, I dare say this was one of the best things any KL people can do to escape the city-wild life once in a while.

*click* image to see its awesomeness

*click* image to see its awesomeness

*click* image to see its awesomeness

*click* image to see its awesomeness



Right after the lunch picnic, all the people could not wait but to jump into the river. I on the other hand, went with very different purposes. Of course, I must somehow fit shutter therapy into the equation of this outing !! For some reasons, I know taking the river water requires tripod. I have reminded myself before I went to sleep the night before to bring a tripod. Even when I woke up in the morning I remembered to place to tripod next to my bag. Just when I was about to leave the house I totally left the tripod behind !! I only realized it when I was already in the train to office, and I almost pulled all my hair out of my head. With no tripod, I cannot do a couple of shots: 1) slow shutter speed to turn the water into silky smooth milk and 2) Panorama wide angle shots !!!!! I believe sleep deprivation over the past week, with super hectic work and add that to a lazy Saturday morning, they all do not sum up very well.

*click* image to see its awesomeness

*click* image to see its awesomeness



Nonetheless, I did what I could. It was really fun capturing a bunch of wild engineers having fun themselves !! I have my trusty 40-150mm tele zoom lens with me so I can shoot from a distance and get close enough to the crazy people. I was really amazed by how well the lens captured the subjects, even when they were all constantly moving in very rapid and random pace. The lighting was not exactly bright, since the day itself was cloudy (morning rain) and the whole area was covered by the natural canopy formed by the surrounding trees. I boosted the ISO up to 400 and I managed to freeze the action of river folks... as well as the waters !!
Now if only I have had the Olympus E-3 that boasts full weather sealing, I would have been more daring to jump into the waters, get closer for some really dramatic shots. Oh well, I shall just stay at the safe side at the moment.

DROWN DROWN DROWN

*click* image to see its awesomeness

*click* image to see its awesomeness




Since I knew well enough that the picnic was at the river side, I was expecting the tiny creatures, bugs/insects to be more interesting than the ones I usually find in the parks/gardens. Therefore, this inevitably called for a MACRO session !! Yeap I did bring my macro lens along, after leaving it alone untouched for such a long time. You all knew how crazy I am into macro, and I have not done any macro photography since, forever. Macro photography is extremely time consuming, to hunt for subjects, and to obtain a properly exposed and focused subject. Since macro was not the main purpose of the trip, I just managed to capture a few shots, and oh boy, the spiders looked really, really colourful !! Usually I find mostly green spiders in the park, or yellow and black variants, but check out the creatures near the river. I wish I had more time to hunt for those bugs.

*click* image to see its awesomeness

*click* image to see its awesomeness

*click* image to see its awesomeness



It was Wei Chen's farewell celebration afterall, and sad to say, this was by far, one of the most extensive celebration we have had in the company since I have joined about more than a year ago. Mostly, it would be a simple dinner for the seniors or those working for longer time in the company, or for the juniors or the newer people, it would be just simple lunch, or worse, NOTHING at all. Since we were not expecting much from the company, we decided to make the celebration happen ourselves. Good call. We all needed such a release from time to time. Having all work and no fun does create a zombie engineer. I was pretty sure this riverfall session was tremendously enjoyed by all, especially Wei Chen.

THE LOT Vs WEI CHEN

*click* image to see its awesomeness




WEI CHEN and ROBIN

*click* image to see its awesomeness

To Lee Wei Chen, it has been a wonderful pleasure knowing you, and working with you. I wish you all the best in your future endeavors. Just remember to cut off our electricity supply when we really need you to do so !!! (sorry, internal joke here).
Fare thee well dude !!

7 comments:

  1. I am having fun looking at nature at Hulu Langat, but can't seem to get into the water fall coz I am working in the jungle. How sucky kan?

    Hello there Robin. Its been a long time ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey ruby,
    whoah.. working in the jungle, sounds super adventurous !! I envy your work lah !!

    Yes, Ruby, it has been a long time !!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so fun and interesting! I just went to Ulu Yam to do some casual shooting this morning too. I love Ulu Yam! Nice and fun pics you've got!

    ReplyDelete
  4. hey david chua,
    whoah you have just been there too? Very nice place indeed. I just wish I brought my tripod along !!! Now regret regret

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had a relaxing morning walk with my small cameras as usual, and ended the morning with a Lor Mee at Ulu Yam Lama before heading back home. It was quite fruitful with some decent shots and delicious Lor Mee... heehee... :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. hey david,
    I have not tried the lor mee there. I heard it is really nice !!!! gosh one day I must go there again have a taste.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What's up, constantly i used to check weblog posts here in the early hours in the break of day, because i enjoy to find out more and more.

    My web blog :: what should i Weigh for My Height

    ReplyDelete