Thursday, September 03, 2009

Masjid Selat Melaka


I have somehow garnered some grumbles from a few friends in Malacca for not as little as calling them up while I was there going photo-frenzy last long merdeka weekend. As much as I wanted to make the effort to meet everyone up and have a cup of tea or two, the entire weekend was dedicated solely in accomplishing one task: capturing as many good photos as I possibly can. On many previous visits to Malacca, I went on very relaxing itinerary with plenty of time for tennis, food, and catching up with friends. However, this time, to show how different it was, I even left my precious tennis racket behind and striked out tennis off the list of things to do in Malacca. You guys know how much I love stroking balls. My point is, I went with specific purposes, and I PWNed Malacca over the weekend with my Ollie.

*click* image to see its awesomeness



One of the to-photograph items was the Straights of Malacca Mosque. This mosque is really grand looking, and located at the shoreline of a man-made lsland called Pulau Melaka. A quick glance around the island indicated that the place has been temporarily abandoned in terms of development, with sights of half-constructed shoplots, and naked foundations and piles being left unattended for quite a while. The mosque being placed in the middle of these places did not seem to be affected at all, and still functioning like usual. The main body of the structure of the mosque is sitting on a platform on the waters at the seaside, overlooking the majestic Straights of Malacca sea. The view from there is nothing short of breathtaking, and hence we were out to capture some nice architectures over great landscape.

*click* image to see its awesomeness

*click* image to see its awesomeness



We headed to the mosque straight after the afternoon walkabout session at Jonker Street, and arrived at the Mosque slightly an hour before sunset. This was ideal since we still had some flexibility and time to roam around the place to snap some photos under the available sunlight. The sun at that time was hanging really low over the horizon approaching sunset, thus the intensity of the light being reflected from the mosque walls was rather strong, resulting in very high shutter speed used to capture the shot. Consequently, due to the high shutter speed, the sky has turned darker, and this dramatically added impact to the photographs !! You guys know how much I love blue skies, deep, deep blue skies. This may not be fitting everyones liking, but yeah, give me a blue sky and I am a happy boy.


*click* image to see its awesomeness

*click* image to see its awesomeness



We readied ourselves for the sunset over the mosque shot, but somehow the cloud formation for that particular evening was not interesting enough to create an awe-worthy sunset outcome. The sky was pale, and the orange cast was rather dull. Nonetheless, I shot what I could, and did not let luck get the best of me. We stayed on a little longer after sunset, and shot the building against the little light left in the sky. I mounted the camera on the tripod that I brought along, and engaged the long shutter speed to gather in as much light as possible. It has been quite some time since I last played with long exposures, and boy, it felt so astoundingly rewarding viewing the photo outcome on the LCD reviews after each shot !! I just could not describe to you the joy it was taking one photo after another. This was a whole new level of shutter therapy for me.

*click* image to see its awesomeness

*click* image to see its awesomeness



Fred, chasing the sun with 40-150.


I have mentioned before about how much I love landscape photography. I have also blatantly admitted that I do suck at it, and landscape is quite challenging. Composition wise it is rather difficult to capture the right angle to portray the image rather differently from the usual crowd, and so far I have not shot many photos that I can truly say I am satisfied with. Landscape may be difficult, but oh have I told you how fun it was? I still have a lot to work on, but hey, I do not mind doing so because the fun factor can be really overwhelming at times.

*click* image to see its awesomeness



I am not sure if the Mosque is new, since I have asked around my friends and it does seem that not many people know of it. Even around the island itself there are so many other photo-opportunities, but hey, after the sunset it was already dark. I believe a return to the same spot should be in place to explore the island further. And hopefully by then, I could find a more stunning sunset to photograph.

One more day to weekend. And shutter therapy shall take place again.

10 comments:

  1. hey LKM,
    thanks dude. Malacca walkabout 2 anytime?

    ReplyDelete
  2. 2nd last shot is the one!! but IMO the orange is a bit over saturated. could tone down a notch :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. hey orenzai,
    thanks. Nah, the sunset was boring. Expecting something more dramatic. Nonetheless I like the "overcooked" colors on my photos. just my preference

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think the mosque is new (at least to me). :) the man-made island was quite new too. I think it wasn't there during my time there. :P which was quite a few years ago. :P

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey allen,
    that means,you shud come visit melaka! Come come!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The mosque has been around for years but not many people know as it's not visible from the main road and not many people know how to get there. :) Moreover, it's a white elephant project.

    The chief minister plans to turn the island into some Arab Village or something within these few years. According to him, the state has managed to convince a few Arab businessmen to invest shit loads of money into the island.

    ReplyDelete
  7. hey jasonmumbles,
    finally someone who knows something about that mysterious island. I was starting to wonder if it has something built underground top secret or something LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have to say.. this is a very impressive mosque!

    ReplyDelete
  9. hey cyril,
    it is very grand looking !!

    ReplyDelete