Tuesday, September 01, 2009

I Walked the Streets of Malacca


How was Merdeka going on for you fellows out there? My long weekend has turned out quite fruitful actually. A couple of weeks ago a photography friend, Henry had an open invitation to join his family for a trip to Malacca and Muar.

Considering the fact that I am always a loner in whatever I do, it could have been really depressing to pass the holiday by all on my own. Therefore, without much hesitation I said yes and went along with the plan to PWN Malacca with my Ollie.

*click* image to see its awesomeness

*click* image to see its awesomeness

*click* image to see its awesomeness



Before starting off the walkabout, we had some refreshingly sweet and chilling cendol. And that was Fred posing with his E-410. Damned I miss that camera.

I know I have been to this historical town for like uncountable times, but each and everytime I visit I do find it more and more enticing, in terms of photography. There is just so much more to do, and so much more to capture in Malacca in comparison to KL. Events and happenings wise, Malacca may be more toned down, but for streets, people, landscape, architecture, and even food, I would say Malacca wins hands down. I came this weekend with a few objectives in mind, I was a little ambitious to start with, and I intended to carry home with me some really nice pictures this time.

Lets start things off with Streets of Malacca.

*click* image to see its awesomeness

*click* image to see its awesomeness

*click* image to see its awesomeness



On the bright and sunny Saturday afternoon, a group of crazy photographers walked the streets of Jonker Street. Thanks to Henry, I actually borrowed quite an interesting lens from him to play with over the weekend. It was the 11-22mm F2.8-3.5 ED Zuiko Digital lens, designed for four thirds system.

This particular lens offered me a couple of advantages:

1) Wider angle of view:
at 11mm, it is not ultra wide angle, but it is significantly wider than my kit lens which starts at 14mm.

2) Brighter, faster lens.
At F2.8, I can shoot in low light conditions hand-held with no aid of tripod, and still get away with very decently sharp shots. Thanks to the built in body IS system, coupled with the fast F2.8 aperture, night street photography has suddenly become fun!!

3) Oh, it is an Olympus.
That itself is a good enough reason.

*click* image to see its awesomeness

*click* image to see its awesomeness

*click* image to see its awesomeness




We just had some simple stroll along the Jonker street area, and snapped some photos at whatever opportunities that we chanced upon. I know for street photography, longer lens is favourable for the reach and discrete reasons, but hey, I was just trying something new and really different. Having a wider angle of view did provide me with new ways and more flexibility in composing certain shots. If I did not want to go full wide, I could zoom in to 22mm, which is decent enough for what I had in mind for that afternoon.

You will be surprised at how many photo opportunities there were lying around the streets, and honestly I was a bit lazy since the sun was high up and my beautiful skin needs some preservation.

*cough cough

*click* image to see its awesomeness

*click* image to see its awesomeness

*click* image to see its awesomeness



I know I have not covered so many of the popular landmarks in Malacca, but if you have not seen it in this entry, you could probably find them in some of my older entries. I am trying not to be redundant by posting up similar photos, and yeah, I know how that has unexpectedly irked a few people off though each and every time I have done so, I tried to do it differently. Nonetheless, I do believe in keeping this place fresh, and this itself is a challenge not only to a blogger, but also a photographer.

Being a blogger, I know many found it hard to find fresh materials all the time. And being a photographer, everything ignites from creativity. Creative means creating something new, something fresh, something unexplored.

This is probably one area I am lacking at, and I am doing what I can to work it out.


*click* image to see its awesomeness

*click* image to see its awesomeness

*click* image to see its awesomeness



Fishtan has once reminded me, try not to follow what others have done, but define your own style and tone in photography. D what you can, find your own groove. Only by then your work will stand out, because it comes entirely from your own creation. This is especially true, and even magazines often highlighted the same point, a powerful photograph is a photograph of something that people have not seen, or thought of before.

Saying it is a lot easier, especially for me, having sold my creativity to the devil long time ago to become an engineer.

Here comes the set of photographs I have taken during our night walkabout session at the same streets. It is amazing how night and day can portray the same place very differently.

*click* image to see its awesomeness

*click* image to see its awesomeness

*click* image to see its awesomeness

*click* image to see its awesomeness



After the afternoon session. we took a break, freshened up a little, and continued our little walkabout session. This was when the 11-22mm lens really out-cooked my other lenses. I left my tripod behind, because we were marching through oceans of vultures in the flooded streets with people who had no fear of H1N1 so far despite the fact that Malacca has the highest death toll at the time of this writing.

Having a tripod would have restricted my movement. However the F2.8 provided fast enough shutter speed to shoot comfortably without blurring. The outcome of the photograph is also a lot more pleasing compared my my kit lens and even the pancake, mainly because of the extra depth and scope it managed to fit into the frame. The more I used the lens the more I fell in love with wide angle photography, and now I am scorching the earth to find ways to fund for the 9-18mm lens.

Money oh Money, where art thou? I so need thee right now.

*click* image to see its awesomeness

*click* image to see its awesomeness

*click* image to see its awesomeness



In some ways, my photographs still lack the impact and sense of connection with the viewers. I am not stressing out on this, since we all have to learn and improve progressively. The important thing that I must do is keep the shutter clicking, and train myself to see the world differently. What you see in this entry is how I saw the streets, and if you managed to see what I see, then I have become successful.

The weekend was a long one, and I have a lot more photographs to show you guys. Of course there would be photos of food and more lovely sceneries. I shall dispense them part by part, so that my blog shall be “Malaysian-broadband-friendly”.

*click* image to see its awesomeness

*click* image to see its awesomeness



What did you do for Merdeka? Do tell.

At least, I did my patriotic part by touring my own country land.

12 comments:

  1. Nice perspective!

    The photos has Robin trademark all over!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey chong,
    I do not even know what my trademark is, but thanks !!

    ReplyDelete
  3. kanasai... i see E-P1 in there... haha.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey chunchow,
    haha yeah! Got lots of stuff to play with. You could have joined us.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Should have brought that 7-14.

    ReplyDelete
  6. hey BBU,
    Nooooooo enough poison for one weekend already !! ahahah

    ReplyDelete
  7. nice shot bro...go and buy the 11-22 :)

    -roger-

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey wanaza,
    thanks! i want to! But no $$

    ReplyDelete
  9. i suck at street photography.. u need to be my sifu!

    ReplyDelete
  10. hey LKM,
    haiyoo i am not qualified lah to be sifu. But hey, lets go learn together !! we all have our own style, who says yours sucks?????

    ReplyDelete
  11. nice shots..by loking at your photos, i felt ie visited malacca already

    -cyrildason.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. hey cyril,
    thanks dude. Yeah man, Malacca is sure a nice place to visit. All the good food too !!!

    ReplyDelete