Tuesday, June 02, 2009

Gundam Eats Pancake


I have accidentally bumped into fellow photogs, Fattien and Anston at Sungai Wang last weekend, and they informed me that there was some Gundam exhibition thingy happening there. I am not exactly a mecha-anime fanatic myself though I do follow a few series of Gundam and Macros over the past few years.. I guess there is just some unseen bond between boys and anything mechatronic and robotic, no?

*click* image to see its awesomeness

*click* image to see its awesomeness

*click* image to see its awesomeness




Unfortunately, I have not kept myself updated to anything after the Gundam Seed Destiny, thus not knowing much of the current Gundam models. Nevertheless, I made a visit to the exhibition, and found that the models being displayed were for some competition. I do find the model making of Gundams rather appealing, and have considered purchasing a few models and construct them over my almost non-existent free time. However, I think everyone already knows how expensive my current hobby can get, thus splurging on other hobbies has become hesitant. Since I do not own those Gundam models though I love them so much, and the fact that I have not utilized much of my pancake lens lately, I figured it would be the next best thing to photograph and blog about them.

*click* image to see its awesomeness

*click* image to see its awesomeness

*click* image to see its awesomeness





This session was not as straightforward as it seemed. A few issues have to be taken into consideration:

1) Extremely low and uneven lighting condition

2) Mixed lighting and strong colour cast

3) Shooting through glass with ugly light reflections

4) Very messy and distracting backgrounds


*click* image to see its awesomeness

*click* image to see its awesomeness

*click* image to see its awesomeness




To counter those problems, I chose to use the pancake lens, with the widest aperture at F2.8 which was sufficient to throw the background out of focus, while maintaining very minimal depth of field to keep part of the subject in sharp focus. Flash could not be utilized since the models were placed behind a piece of glass, hence high ISO cannot be avoided. White balance was an issue here, but a little post processing could go a long way to balance up the undesirable colour cast. I know I could have improved a lot more in composition terms but hey, if you worry about too many things in such a fun and loving exhibition, it will no longer be fun and loving.

*click* image to see its awesomeness


So any of you Gundam fans out there? Seen any of your favourites in the exhibition?

5 comments:

  1. haven't been following anything gundam since F91.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey ven,
    whoah! When was dat F91? Im not even aware of that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL i think i just saw a female robot! didn't know robots had genders...

    -Marcus

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know a friend who is just into Gundam!

    -cyrildason.com

    ReplyDelete