Saturday, June 13, 2009

Feasting Korea


A couple of days ago I screamed my desperation out loud for some Korean indulgence. One kind soul responded to the call, and he is none other than the charming blogger, Daniel Liew, who was awesome enough to meet me up for a feast. Off we went to the spot in Ampang populated by Koreans, and we stuffed ourselves with good food.

*click* image to see its awesomeness



Not that I am overly crazy about Korean or anything, but I do believe that when everyone goes crazy over Japanese food, it just kinda made the whole goo-gaa a little less exciting. Besides, having barbequed meet being cooked right in front of you sounds just right, and that also meant a whole lot of fun while waiting for food. So yeah, the crave for Korean was just the spur of the moment thing.

COOKED TO PERFECTION !!

*click* image to see its awesomeness

*click* image to see its awesomeness




It has been a while since I last met Daniel, and that was when he just started his working life in KL. A fellow Civil Engineer, he found himself working in the government sector. I would be lying if I tell you that I am not envious of his “flexible” working hours. And gosh, he gets to travel to almost anywhere in the peninsula for just the past couple of months. Do not get me wrong, I am completely comfortable and I do treasure the opportunities my current job is offering, and the potential of growth in career that goes along with it, but sometimes I just could not help but look at the other side of the grass. Yes, it does seem greener.

PORK BELLY AND PORK RIBS

*click* image to see its awesomeness

*click* image to see its awesomeness

*click* image to see its awesomeness




Dinner was really good. We had two selections of pork: one pork belly dish, and another boneless pork ribs. I dare say that both tasted really good, and the Koreans did a good job marinating the meat. Being grilled to perfection in front of us, the aroma was so intoxicating. We ordered a bowl of soup, which I forgot to photograph. It was interesting to see that Daniel does not quite like Kim Chee !! I am no fan of Kim Chee either, but it would have been an insult to the restaurant if we just left it untouched. I know of some friends who would go crazy over Kim Chee, but is there anyone else out there who does think that Kim Chee is kinda weird and it burns the taste buds in unimaginably torturing ways? Ok, maybe it’s just me.

SIDE DISHES

*click* image to see its awesomeness

*click* image to see its awesomeness



I think Daniel must have thought that I was really crazy since I spent a great deal of time photographing the food. Well, no thanks to Jasonmumbles, it was not easy getting nice food pictures after you have seen his food shots. I have not really been much into food photography lately, and I have not published much of food photos mainly because, well, they suck. Nonetheless, I did try, and though the results may not be exactly up to standards, but I do believe that food photos are the ones that many people do love to see and can easily fall in love with.

*click* image to see its awesomeness

*click* image to see its awesomeness



I think the hand holding the wrapped BBQ-ed meat thing is slowly starting to become my signature. I tried arranging the first one a little too ambitiously, with a large lettuce slice, topped with meat, and assortments of whatever side dishes I could find on the table. It kind of turned out messy and distracting. Hence I made a second attempt by using a smaller leaf, and stuff less things on it, but Daniel commented that it looked too tiny to be “appealing”, which was true. Garrgghhh, why can’t I just get it right? If I do spend some more time arranging and composing my food I think I might just get full from snapping the pictures.

MEET DANIEL

*click* image to see its awesomeness

*click* image to see its awesomeness



Its been a while since I last cam-whored.

After the hearty dinner, we went for some drinks and chilled out at the nearby Old Town Café. I was going trigger happy until one lady came to me and told me that photography is not allowed. What a bummer. She did not request me to delete off my pictures, so I still had everything I snapped earlier in tack. The more reasons I should be using a compact instead of a DSLR in such places, since it would have attracted less attention, and photographing discretely is more achievable. No, your 200 MegaPixels 5x zoom ISO67800 Carl Zeiss lens camera phone CANNOT do the job.

ICED HAZELNUT WHITE COFFEE @ OLD TOWN

*click* image to see its awesomeness




It was one night of great food, and good fun catching up with Daniel. Anyone else craving for Korean food lately?

13 comments:

  1. Old town or the Korean restaurant that doesnt allow photography?

    Btw, I say No to KimChee too :D
    Honestly speaking, I'm not a Korean food lover. I prefer to Jap food more..

    Miao love fishies

    ReplyDelete
  2. ooh.. korea...
    korean...
    ah...

    i can still remember her.
    LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey jian
    it was d old town that did not allow photography. And yea! Another guy that doesnt like kimchee!

    Hey allen
    fly to korea! go for her go go!

    ReplyDelete
  4. gaaah. whyyyyy did i have to see your food post in the middle of the night?? =.=' now i'm feeling peckish. maaan.

    in other words, your food pics look amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. hey aaron,
    ahahaha I have not blogged about food for quite some time now though. does not quite seem like me eh? not blogging about food much.

    ReplyDelete
  6. i'm ok with kim chee i guess! its very important that it's fresh cos i've seen kim chee that has poor colour. very unappetising! but i hate wasabi! yuk yuk yuk! but yet i favour jap cuisine over korena! how ironic LOL!

    -Marcus

    ReplyDelete
  7. OMG marcus!
    I dislike wasabi too! I usually have my sushis just without wasabi! I love jap food too.i miss fuji station (was it at vic park?)

    ReplyDelete
  8. yeah i miss it too! yup it was at vic park! i can't believe i didn't bump into u when i was there! i also miss tsunami. its more expensive there but if u buy the discount book u can save a lot of money!

    -Marcus

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey marcus
    Ooo never tried tsunami before. Maybe the next time im in perth i shall look for that place! And fuji station too gosh miss their bento!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Robin! Stop making me hungry~~ *grr.. ngam!

    ReplyDelete
  11. hey ruby,
    Can !! Lets go eat, that should kill our hunger aahah

    ReplyDelete
  12. hey feli,
    come come come !!

    ReplyDelete