Wednesday, May 20, 2009

The Wing That Broke the Sky in Two


I was at the airport and suddenly my hand got bitten by the shutter-bug, hence I went shutter-frenzy. Nope, this time the Ollie and the merry gang of lenses stayed put inside the bag, and I let the Lumix do the job. Who says I can’t shoot properly with a compact camera?

*click* image to see its awesomeness

*click* image to see its awesomeness



The Kuching International (kononnya) Airport yes we do have an airport u ignorant bastards has only recently been upgraded with cosmetic facelifts and much needed expansions. The construction rate happened so fast that people who flew away from Kuching and came back a year later would almost find themselves landing on a completely different airport altogether. I do not particularly fancy the design, but I do have to admit it does look a lot better than the old one.

There was a slight delay for my flight from Kuching to Kuala Lumpur, which was favourable since I had more time to walk to the uncrowded area of the terminal and point my camera anywhere I want without getting unwanted attention. This was quite a casual session, and I basically just simply point and shot the photos without much thought. I just wanted my fingers to have the camera clicking, that’s all. Unexpectedly, I do find some really good photo opportunities lying around such a huge area.

*click* image to see its awesomeness

*click* image to see its awesomeness



I have been using this Panasonic Lumix LZ8 for some time now, and I have given it a considerable amount of praise, especially on the stunning value for money performance and feature-rich set as a budget camera. Image quality comes out reasonably well, but of course, at such low end pricing, shortcomings are expected. I particularly dislike the colour rendition portrayed by the camera’s JPEG engine. There is a notable annoying green cast on every single picture, that I spent quite some time to manually remove the cast and troublesomely readjust the colour balance. The pictures that you see in this entry were shot in ample amount of broad daylight, hence there should not be an issue of off-balance in the colours produced which usually occurs in artificial lighting conditions. Although I must say, this problem is not entirely beyond salvation, and in situations like this, we have photoshop to the rescue.

I do miss the near-perfect straight out of the camera colours I was so used to getting with Kodak cameras.

*click* image to see its awesomeness

*click* image to see its awesomeness



I know a few pictures on this entry are cliché’s such as the photo of the plane resting on the dock and the cabin window overseeing the wing spanning across the sky. But hey, sometimes good photography is not about everything original, but more on ways to present something differently, in a better way. No, I admit I still do not fare so well in seeing things differently. I gotta remind myself to explore more possibilities before clicking the shutter button.

It seems that I have used up my annual leave due to the recent circumstance which was a little unexpected. That also means it will be quite some time again, before I fly back home to Kuching.

I miss kolok mee already. Goodness gracious.

6 comments:

  1. i like kuching airport, at least it's near my house and i dont have to take a taxi/cab/train all the way to the middle of the nowhere to catch a flight :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey ian,
    what a justifiable reason that is.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Are you sure your unit is not a bad copy? Or the green cast happens to all LZ8?

    ReplyDelete
  4. hey chong,
    ive seen it on other panasonic cameras, though not to such extend. Its present on LX3 too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. there's always unpaid leave =)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I prefer the old deign of the old airport simply because it says 'Sarawak'. The new design is modern, but not 'Sarawakian'...
    Well, better have something new though...

    ReplyDelete