Sunday, May 24, 2009

The Hill and the Waterfall


Last weekend, when I just flew in from Kuching to KL returning for work, my colleagues made a trip climbing up a hill full of lalang grass that could grow a heck lot taller than a human. I do not quite understand why but they told me that it was so good they were willing to go to the same spot again the following weekend. I have also come across numerous photo-blogs with stories and pictures of that particular place which is becoming really popular these days. Therefore I tagged along this second trip to witness the wonders and majesty of the lalang grass, which is easily overpopulating the surrounding areas of the Broga Hill.

*click* image to see its awesomeness

*click* image to see its awesomeness




Darryl suggested we made a move real early in the morning to catch the Golden Hour (just before sunrise). I woke up at ungodly 5.30am in the morning, and zoomed out the door at 6am. As we arrived at the heel of the Broga Hill, it was still pitch black, and we started our journey up to the hill. It was not as challenging as my previous attempt at Bukit Melawati, but there were some really slippery and steep slopes to climb over. My shoes have been badly worn out, and the base did not provide me much of my needed friction at all, hence I slipped rather easily. Dangerous as this sounded, I still managed to climb to the top somehow.


*click* image to see its awesomeness

*click* image to see its awesomeness




So I was at the peak, and much to my dissapointment, the whole process of Golden Hour + Sunrise + After sunrise did not quite happen at all. There was a thick blanket of white cloud covering the entire stretch of sky, leaving no traces of that morning sun-ray through. I was anticipating clearer skies, with approaching sunrise twilight on the horizon, and as the sun made its first break, I was hoping for an intense golden ray to bathe the entire scape, creating a dramatic deep golden reflections on the grasses, popping out the landscape viewed from the peak. Unfortunate enough, none of that happened. The cloudy circumstance dragged on till late morning, and my landscape pictures included neither of beautiful cloud formation nor deep blue sky !!

*click* image to see its awesomeness

*click* image to see its awesomeness




As much as I did complain, I snapped quite a number of pictures for this session. Yes, I am still currently on Shutter Therapy, and I do go a little trigger happy at times. I did manage to salvage some useable shots as seen inside this entry. Oh, and since the landscape was less interesting, I took the liberty to Macro-fy (man this word should be registered as my trademark) the lalang !! I did find some rather interesting bugs from place to place but I refrained myself from heavy macro since that would have slowed our paced down a fair bit. We had our second destination, hence staying too long at one spot was a no-no.

*click* image to see its awesomeness

*click* image to see its awesomeness



After some light breaky after the hill climb, we went searching for some waterfall at a place called Terkala, not too far from Semenyih. It took us a little round there and here before we hit the destination, and when we actually found the waterfall it was such a joy !! This was my first time attempting waterfall, hence there was much I did not know. I mounted the circlular polarizer on my lens, and fixed the Oly on my tripod. Setting to exposures at 1-2 seconds shutter speed, I managed to smoothen the water as if it was milk coming down splashing from the top. Yummy indeed !!

*click* image to see its awesomeness

*click* image to see its awesomeness



I know composition could have been seriously improved in this matter. Going closer can possibly add depth and impact to the waterfall. I should probably do some research on how to create better and more interesting waterfall shots. Nevertheless, I did pull off the slow shutter part and in that itself, I am happy for now.

So yeah, that was how I spent my Sunday. It was a much needed shutter therapy session, and it has also been almost a decade since I last visited a waterfall back in my hometown Kuching.

Been to waterfalls or climbed any hills lately guys?

12 comments:

  1. I like the shots ^^ especially the lalangs~~

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ajak me out next time Rob. I haven't been to any nature-related activities for quite some time now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hey jian,
    ahaha thanks !!

    hey daniel,
    aahah will sure do.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The spot is a favourite lately. Why ah?

    So many people at the top. Haha!

    ReplyDelete
  5. hey jasonmumbles,
    yeah seems like lots of people flooding that area.
    No idea why though LOL im just tagging along ahahha

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wanted to go to Broga Hills but my bed grab hold of me strongly. Sigh...

    ReplyDelete
  7. hey chong,
    oh no u too wanna go there? ahahah whats with that place seems like its attracting everyone !!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So many people... >.<" Doesn't make the scene any nicer.. -.-"

    But loves the macro shots as well as the waterfall. My waterfall shot also coming out. I preschedule for post release in the later days. :P But can't compare with yours... :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey shinky,
    thanks man! But dun compare lar who knows ur lx3 shots could be better rite? But i gotta say waterfall is heck of a fun to photograph!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Robin.... you know what? your photos are awesome!!!! more to professional photographer la you.... you're now listed in my photographer list for my wedding few years later... hahahahaha

    ReplyDelete
  11. Where is this hill located? Doesnt really look like its in Malaysia.

    ReplyDelete
  12. hey amiey,
    I am honored !! ahahah thanks so much but not pro yet lah.. still a long way to go.

    hey cyril,
    the hill is somewhere near Semenyih, quite a distance away from the heart of the city. Ahaha do not believe everything you see in the photos, they could be deceiving.

    ReplyDelete