Monday, April 13, 2009

PC Fair Chicks, April 2009


There was the Pikom PC Fair happening over last weekend at the KLCC Convention Centre, where floods of people from nowhere came herding into the exhibition halls, either trying to find a good bargain for PC related stuff, or more like me, finding chicks and pointing my camera at their faces. And I demanded them to smile at me while I was at that.

*click* image to see its awesomeness




PC Fair this time was quite toned down in comparison to the previous two I have visited over my nearly one year stay in KL so far. There were significantly less booths available, and one unexpected turn of arrangements was the missing hall for PC Audio. There used to be one hall displaying only speakers and audio specific accessories, which was not present last weekend. You see, I am a fan of audio, though I do admit that pc audio market in Malaysia currently is sort of limited and the speakers from common brands like Sonic Gear, Edifier and so on are not exactly turning me on. Nevertheless, what is a good event without loud music pumping? Heck there was no Altec Lansing either.

*click* image to see its awesomeness



*click* image to see its awesomeness



*click* image to see its awesomeness




Some friends have pointed out to me, due to certain budget constraints; even the hiring of models was restricted. There were almost less than half of the number which was hired previously, and the girls were somewhat more difficult to spot amongst the crowd. Hide and seek much?

And so you guys have read my last entry on my sudden purchase of the compact camera. After testing that camera for a while, I have to admit it did hit me if I really do need a DSLR at all, since I was really feeling right at home with just a compact. That Lumix has got almost everything I have hoped for in one single camera, providing me wide flexibility for photography controls when I need so. I was even starting to back calculate in my mind on how much I could salvage in return if I have sold off all my gears and equipments, just for the heck of it.

Nevertheless..

After reviewing the pictures I have taken of the PC Fair chicks, I knew the strong reason why I bought the DSLR in the first place. Thus, the same reason good enough for me to hold on to it tightly. There will be a day when a compact will outperform a DSLR, but until that day, I am sticking to my trusty Ollie.

*click* image to see its awesomeness



*click* image to see its awesomeness



*click* image to see its awesomeness



This time, I went shooting with a friend, Chun Chow. He has got himself a set of cool diffusers for pop up (built in) flash, which I find rather intriguing. Hence we swapped equipments for the session; he was using my external flash unit mounted on his DSLR, while I fixed his diffuser on my pop up flash. Therefore, all photos of the chicks this time was taken with the built in camera flash, using the pancake lens of course.

To me, flash photography is not easy. Though I have been using a DSLR for over a year, and the external flash unit for a couple of months now, I can confess that I have not mastered this area just yet. The biggest issue comes when taking portraits or photos of people with flash. It was difficult to balance the exposure, trying to light the subject bright enough without over exposing it, and not casting deep shadows and contrast on the skin or the background. More readings and experimentations are necessary for me to improve.

*click* image to see its awesomeness



*click* image to see its awesomeness



During the PC Fair, what I intended in the photos were: 1) slight touch of the flash on the skin to reduce shadows 2) Capture as much ambient light as possible 3) Trying to maintain a natural looking skin tone. It was a lot more difficult than I initially thought, and the results were nothing near perfection (not that it was disastrous either). Yes, I have got the pictures bright enough, but I have only got the balance of exposure between the mix of ambient light and the illumination from the flash accurate in a few pictures. While the rest of them it can be seen that there were highlights (bright spots) on the faces, which was quite undesirable.

Oh did I mention I was using the pancake lens? It worked wonders.

On a separate note, Chun Chow and I were browsing through some Canon compact cameras, just to be sure that I did not miss out any good deals besides that Panasonic Lumix before I made the splash. yes I did consider Canon. So I was toying around with one of the cameras, and pushed up the ISO setting to inspect the noise output. We complimented that the noise control has been greatly improved, and were quite pleased with the output reviewed on the camera screen.

That was when that useless sales person said one thing to our faces:

“Canon WILL ALWAYS be the best.”

Blardy hell, were you that blind you could not see me and my friend had a DSLR hanging around our necks, labelled loudly, OLYMPUS?

It was not like we do not know a thing about photography. After using DSLR for a while, we would have individual thoughts on what is good, what is not, and what is BEST for ourselves. Throwing such strong words was as if pouring cold water on us. Good thing there was no tripod nearly, or else that would be the thing to be removed from his throat in the emergency room that evening.

*click* image to see its awesomeness



*click* image to see its awesomeness




That jerk aside, it was quite a fun session on the whole. I bumped into Smashpop there, and he was already leaving when I entered. So, anyone of you went to the PC Fair as well? Do share if there is anything interesting !

8 comments:

  1. comment on photography - none.

    comment on pcfair:
    1)i hate the atmosphere this time with all the broadband promoters. sometimes i would just like to shove their pamphlets back in their mouths and tell them to 'not disturb the earth spinning'
    2)chicks? there are none. As you said, the companies are on a tighter budget, but that doesn't mean the models are lesser, just that 'cheaper' ones are grabbing the opportunity to do it, even for a lower pay, just for the experience.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey Ian,
    it was kinda strange how strongly they promoted the broadband was it not? At times like this, it is either we already have broadband, or we decided not to have broadband at all !! the way they did it was as if broadband was something new

    ReplyDelete
  3. ah.. the a4tech girl in the 2nd pic from top looks nice..

    the results frm the pop up flash diffuser look quite natural to me. I just dun like to use pop up because it reduces the battery life of the camera.

    sigh.. commenting late at night makes me sounds so superficial :p

    ReplyDelete
  4. hey brandon,
    I have used the pop up flash for a pro-longed shooting condition, and surprisingly the batter lasted quite long, I forgot how many shots but it was quite good.
    Maybe that was when the camera was still new ahhahaa...

    ReplyDelete
  5. sigh..broadband has been around for quite some times, but recently the lined broadband has deteriorated in service quality, hence the rise of wireless broadband.

    You missed one of the Samsung girls, she's quite a looker as well.

    http://www.smashpic.com/pcfair/pcfair8.jpg

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think the girl in the first photo is the fairest among them all.

    and regarding the mini cam.. I will go for convineance. DSLR's have lots of advantages if compared to those point and shoot cams, but carrying them around is tiring.

    Point and shoot cameras are easy to carry, but you can never get that 'perfect' gambar curi.. unlike DSLR with its zooms!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. there were definitely less models compared to the dec 08 one. But you've got great photos of the girls! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. hey tze wen,
    thanks man !! yeah kinda wish there were more chicks LOL

    ReplyDelete