Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Mid Valley Fashion Week: P & Co


This entry is a continuation of the fashion show frenzy series, happening over the previous weekend at Mid Valley and the Gardens.

*click* image to see its awesomeness




I, like many other fanatic photographers out there camped out for the entire afternoon till evening to capture as much as I can on my limited battery life and memory space. I managed to cover more than a dozen shows over the span of two days, rushing back and forth between Mid Valley and Gardens. For once, I never thought the camera battery would last that long, and I have managed my photos very well, fitting all shows in my meager 4Gb compact flash card. Quality matters, not quantity, right?

This particular session was by P & Co.

*click* image to see its awesomeness



*click* image to see its awesomeness



*click* image to see its awesomeness



I have to give the organizers of this particular fashion shows in Mid Valley credits for their efforts in trying to get things right. The lighting was very well done, placing the spotlights at good spots and the coverage was quite even for the entire stage, and bright enough without being too intense at the same time. This is important to bring out the skin tone without being too harsh and contrasty. The sun roof of the center stage provided additional boost to the ambient lighting, and added warmth to the overall mood. I have shot all pictures on Saturday sessions without the external flash units, and the pictures came out satisfactory to me.

*click* image to see its awesomeness



*click* image to see its awesomeness



*click* image to see its awesomeness




In addition to the good lighting conditions, I also liked the idea of plain background being set up for the models. Plain and pale colours with striking horizontal stripes were simple went easily with any style of clothings the models were fashioning. It was a lot easier to compose with plain backgrounds, popping out the models was not much of an issue here. The stripes added a little drama, preventing the whole scene from being too dull.


*click* image to see its awesomeness



*click* image to see its awesomeness



*click* image to see its awesomeness




Photographing this particular session poses one great challenge: balancing light and shadow on the faces of the models. All the models in this session had a funky hat hanging on the head, and this undesirably cast deep shadows on the face. If care was not taken, I could easily darken out one part of the face and leaving the other part over-exposed. High dynamic range was not a specialty of any Olympus cameras, thus this issue was quite a pressing one. Nevertheless, of the many shots I have attempted, I could still salvage quite a number of usable ones as shown in this entry. Oh, I know, using flash would solve all the problems. I know I should bang my head on the wall for not using the flash which I do have now. I shall make amends with the coming entries.

*click* image to see its awesomeness



*click* image to see its awesomeness



Photo Note: A demonstration on how accurately my camera hunts its focus. If this is not accurate, I do not know what is.


Looking on the bright side, I do believe after all the attempts on Fashion shows (it has become uncountable now) I am starting to see myself improving bit by bit. The things I am getting right now and not having much difficulty in shooting are focusing, timing and composition and white balance. Things could have been improved if I was standing in a more auspicious position and angle, locking the focus straight on rather than from one side, and raised myself higher from the ground to match the model's eye level.

*click* image to see its awesomeness



I know I will hear complains such as my shots not having enough bokeh, or not sharp enough, or colours not coming out as nice as the Canon L lenses, but hey, screw all that seriously. So what if my shots are not perfect, the important thing is I enjoy doing it, and I know I still can't live up to certain people's expectations of what a good photograph is, but I am taking things a step at a time. I set my own pace, and I walk on. And I am happy where I am.

Just out of curiosity, were any of you there at the Fashion Shows at Mid Valley or the Gardens last weekend?

15 comments:

  1. I guess everyone has their own unique style of photography. As long as you're happy with yours, you don't have to bother about the rest.

    I was there. The only difference between a fashion show (on that day) and a clubbing scene is the bright lights.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey chong,
    yeah, just gotta be comfortable with the style we choose. I guess that matters. But sometimes we have to be open to other's perceptions too, after all people do reflect how we are.

    Which fashion shows were your referring to? Gardens or Mid Valley? The Gardens was more formal and typical I guess.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gardens? Formal? They were blaring hop-hop-discotheque songs -.-

    ReplyDelete
  4. hey chong,
    LOL... yeah the music aside ahahah... but the catwalk was ordinary, unlike the ones u see at mid valley.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome pictures coming from an awesome photographer.

    ReplyDelete
  6. hey jason,
    truthfully its still far from what should be called awesome !! ahahaha.. but really thanks dude.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I do agree, let's not be too bothered with the sharpness and everything. As long as you enjoy doing the shoot and the picture did not turn out totally out of focus and horrendous. It's all good =)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awesome pictures! You must have an even more awesome zoom lens!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The lightings at MV is a pain in the ass..:D

    ReplyDelete
  10. hey cavin,
    I thought it was quite alright in comparison to so many other events.

    ReplyDelete
  11. чтобы добавлять свои статьи, обязательно ли регистрироватся?

    ReplyDelete
  12. hmmm..ribina_xmza

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow... this blog is so interesting. I just wanted to know how do you monetize it? Can you give me a few advices? For example, I use http://www.bigextracash.com/aft/2e7bfeb6.html

    I'm earning about $1500 per month at he moment. What will you recommend?

    ReplyDelete