Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Lumix Goes Out


Side note: For those curious minds, yes, I did edit the photos, and it is NOT a sin. I only performed minor tweaks on contrast/brightness and colour correction.

It was the glorious Easter Sunday that I was working for nearly the entire day, which was a bummer not because of losing precious lazy weekend, but of not having much time to try out the Panasonic Lumix DMC-LZ8 which I have purchased the day before during the PC Fair. It got a little depressing in the office hence I left at 4pm and was still in time to catch the few remaining hours of sun light for outdoor shooting.

Test Shot: HIGH CONTRAST

*click* image to see its awesomeness



Test Shot: FULL ZOOM (5x Optical at 160mm)

*click* image to see its awesomeness




I went to the popularly visited spot, the Sungai Wang/Bukit Bintang area for random snapping. The weather was awful, with thick bland grey clouds covering the sky, producing a rather uninteresting mood. On the plus side of things, at least it was cool and comfortable to walk around in such weather.

I love street shooting, I really do. I believe photo opportunities especially the rare and outstanding ones can happen at most unexpected, everyday places. You just have to get yourself and your camera out there to capture those frames. Oh, and also really open your eyes while you are at it too. Unfortunately, lugging the huge DSLR with the label “I am an expensive camera come rob me” around the treacherous streets of KL with community junks just is not precisely the wisest thing in the world to do. I am just not that willing to lose another camera.

Test Shot: MIXED LIGHTING, BACKLIT

*click* image to see its awesomeness




Test Shot: OUTDOOR CLOUDY

*click* image to see its awesomeness




Shooting with this new fresh compact camera on the street was purely refreshing to say the least. I tremendously enjoyed the freedom and ease, without having to worry about anything much. The sheer lightness made it feel as if I was virtually holding nothing at all after using the monstrously heavy DSLR for so long. Walking around with no weight on your shoulder made street shooting seems even more street-like. I do not quite understand the desire of many photographers who would regard their huge cameras as a boost to their egos while taking pictures, but this certainly is not the case for me.

Test Shot: AUTOFOCUS ON REFLECTION

*click* image to see its awesomeness



Test Shot: WIDE ANGLE

*click* image to see its awesomeness



Test Shot: WIDE ANGLE

*click* image to see its awesomeness



Out in the open, the camera performs considerably well.

Autofocus was quick and the camera operates very quickly. Metering was slightly underexposed most of the time, which can be compensated thanks to the manual control made available. Pictures come out really sharp and clean. However, I do not like the color rendition of Panasonic’s JPEG engine, the color seems really un-natural. This can be easily corrected via minor editing. The 5x optical zoom provided me with plenty of reach while shooting from a distance. The wide angle of 32mm was not exactly wide angle, but it was flexible enough to cover a large area.

Test Shot: LOW ANGLE

*click* image to see its awesomeness



Test Shot: INDOOR MIXED LIGHTING

*click* image to see its awesomeness



It was odd was it not that I have changed a lot in shooting style. Previously when I first tested my Kodak, I went zoom crazy and almost all my shots were zoomed in, near to the tele-photo end. Interestingly this time, as you can evidently see in my pictures displayed here, most of the shots were taken at the widest angle !! I almost did not zoom at all.

For a budget camera, I have not much to complain.

Test Shot: UNDER SHADE

*click* image to see its awesomeness



Test Shot: OUTDOOR

*click* image to see its awesomeness



Test Shot: INDOOR CLOSE UP

*click* image to see its awesomeness



Do bear in mind that my expectations on the camera are not terribly high, and I did not expect it to perform miracles. Also take note that I did minor adjustments on the final photos, mainly on contrast/brightness and colour balance tweak. Other than that, what you see is very close to the original output straight from the camera.

So anyone of you are currently using a Lumix? I do think Lumix line of cameras are capable and worth purchasing. Do share what you think of your camera, why it rocks and maybe some photos too !!

10 comments:

  1. i want to get that or a lx3...

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey clement,
    go get yourself an LX-3 !!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Only a Shutter God like Robin can produce a dSLR picture with a compact camera.

    All hail the Shutter God!

    Yes, I shall not bring out my camera anymore just because I want to boost my ego. My bad.

    ReplyDelete
  4. hey jasonmumbles,
    do you realise you have almost mentioned "those phrases" in every comment you made here. freaky.
    I thought boost of ego is good?

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOL. What to do, its a fact that you, Robin Wong, is our Shutter God. Haha!

    Haha, according to you, it isn't. I shall repent.

    ReplyDelete
  6. hey jasonmumbles,
    WTF stop calling me that. Im unworthy for such title LOL... still so noob wei.
    I never mentioned the boost of ego was something bad ahahah

    ReplyDelete
  7. lol, take pic of la bodega outside, inside eat pan mee :P
    snap lar the uncle aunty making pan mee in the steamy condition.

    ReplyDelete
  8. hey ian,
    I did not go inside LOL the noodles was from elsewhere

    ReplyDelete
  9. why oh why didnt u get the black model camera?

    ReplyDelete
  10. hey ian,
    because its not available?

    ReplyDelete