Monday, March 16, 2009

His Photography Skills Sucks


Taking a leap from a budget compact camera to an entry-level DSLR somehow raised more eyebrows than I expected. Even to this very day, people still make cynical comments, and snigger at the thought of a nobody like me utilizing such an expensive piece of equipment.

Act pro much?

*click* image to see its awesomeness




Here is an illustration based on a true life encounter, an incident that happened when I have just purchased the DSLR quite some time ago.

(I was hanging out with a couple of friends, and I brought my camera along.)

Useless Friend: So your big camera should be able to take good night shots eh? Why don’t you show me?

Me: Nah, I will require a tripod. Else the shots taken handheld will turn out blurred.

(Useless Friend then whipped out his camera phone and snapped a picture of the street at night, and shoved it to my face.)

Useless Friend: Nah, see, even my camera phone can take such picture.

Me: Fine, if you want me to use my camera so badly, I will.

(I snapped a picture of the street. And then my friend grabbed the camera off my hands and previewed the picture, and compared it with the picture on his camera phone.)

Useless Friend: Eh, see, my camera phone picture is brighter and clearer !! Your camera sucks.

Another Useless Friend: Nolah, his camera is good. Obviously. his photography skills sucks.

Me: !!!

Useless Friend: What is your shutter speed? I thought DSLR can go extremely fast on shutter?? Then should not have blur-shake problem and shoot night scenes. You know how to set your shutter speed or not? Aiyooo

Me: !!!!!!

Another Useless Friend: Using flash will also boost the shutter speed. You could give it a try. You do not even know these things. And you are using such a good camera. What a waste.


Me: !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


Feeling nothing short of a nuclear-scale explosion sort of rage, I held everything in with my legendary smile, and we all laughed together as if it was a joke. Was it a joke? Really?

*click* image to see its awesomeness



When I was put in situations like this, it was obviously a lose-lose circumstance. If I were to elaborately explain why-DSLR-is-a-good-camera to my friends, it will just show that I was vulnerable by defending myself desperately, after being threatened by a mere camera phone. Besides, it would make me look like a jerk showing off his expensive equipment. Hence I chose to just let them inflate their ego and slip by with a plastic laugh.

But deep inside I was stabbing their eyes with a fork.

What was the problem here? It was not so much of them making fun of me that hurts. We make fun of each other over small matters all the time. We joke, and it was only natural. The line is crossed when you see the person less than who he thinks he is, and poke where it bleeds the most, his passion. When I have set my heart to something, I would give anything to accomplish it, thus I do expect a certain degree of understanding and respect for what I choose to be passionate about. I love what I love to do, and if you can’t see why or how I am in love with it, does it give you the right to make me feel foolish?

*click* image to see its awesomeness



Furthermore, I was severely offended when I was looked down that way. So what if I was not a good photographer, would it be such a big thing to do as a friend to support and encourage each other to grow? It was utterly demeaning when people doubt your abilities. Consequently, it was depressing to think that people feel you have wasted your time on your choice of hobby. It was even more painful to see that people think you suck at doing what you love to do. Worst of all, all the above came from people whom I called friends.

*click* image to see its awesomeness



Why take their words seriously, you ask? Darling, if I do not take people seriously, how can I expect them to take me seriously when I really need them to be serious about something? It may not strike those of you who do not know me well, but when I listen, I really listen. When I say something, I mean it. I do not take conversations lightly, and I do not treat my friends as jokes. You do not strip down a guy naked and laugh at the size of his penis. Even if that is nothing but just a joke to you.

People wont see what you see, or see it the way you see it. Even amongst photogs we have vast differences and varied perceptions when it comes to photography. But what you fail to see does not give you the right to make such a big fuss out of it !!

I know, I am letting out plenty of angst these days. I do believe that I am not alone. There are times I started to question about my choices of friends, and that was also the same moment I knew that I have lost faith in people. It is happening, I admit it, but the least I could do is to fight it, and I am not giving up so easily.

*click* image to see its awesomeness



I know. My skill sucks still. But hey, one thing has got to be straight, I am improving. If you just give me time, I will make it. Dammit useless friends, mark my words, I will make it.

22 comments:

  1. Do you have an extra fork?
    So I can help with the stabbing.. XD

    You have the skills, the knowledge and passion..

    Sadly, they're just blind..

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey Jian,
    thanks,ahahha..
    but to be fair, they duno the photography world side, so I can't blame them.
    But still friends should not talk down on interests/passion lor...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Eh, I want to help you in stabbing too. Kilometrico also can. As long as I can release some anger...

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  5. hey chong,
    whoah... seems like a lot of people are angry too these days...
    come come we stab together....

    ReplyDelete
  6. omg! memang useless friend! stab him with tripod!
    tsk tsk..
    noob!

    do a double kill!

    ReplyDelete
  7. hey allen,
    WTF tripod LOL... brutal !!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. we got too little time to entertain these people...

    C&C from real photogs are helpful..these kind of comments r rubbish..

    keep it up and nvr give up!

    ReplyDelete
  9. show them your dragon fly picture in this post to shut them up.

    ReplyDelete
  10. hey funkye,
    thanks !! yeah, c&c are supposed to be constructive !!

    hey ven,
    LOL then i will be a show-ff, ahahha.. nah, just leave them alone.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Dude. Your photography skills DO NOT SUCK. Tell me otherwise and I will smack you. HARD. ;p

    Seriously though, ignore the buggers. You obviously enjoy photography - be happy and keep doing it :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. hey starryluvly,
    thanks !!! I appreciate that, really.
    Yeah, i love doing it, and i see myself doing it for a long long time.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ignore such people... just go with your passion. It's not easy to find something you're really passionate about so don't let people like them put you down!

    As a matter of fact, I was inspired by your work and jumped from a budget camera to Olympus E-system (just got an E520, same as urs!). I'm getting very passionate about photography as a result of this - though there is still a lot for me to learn. I'm planning to start a website soon as well...will definitely link back to your site! Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  15. hey andy,

    Oh gosh dude, thanks thanks thanks a lot for the compliments !! I think you have just made my day *grins*

    Just want to let you know that the choice of getting a DSLR is a good one, and it will open up a whole wide world of possibilities to you. Well done on that.
    And choosing E-system? another bonus point. E-520 is a very capable camera, and I am sure you will love it. It has not let me down so far.

    Thanks again man for the kind words. Looking forward for your new site, just give me a holla over here so I can go over have a visit once its up.

    Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  16. You should reevaluate the friendship with that two assholes. :D

    ReplyDelete
  17. hey jasonmumbles,
    LOL... I did. But they are friends, and somehow they were just joking around. Though it hurts ahahah

    ReplyDelete
  18. some people are just jealous, y know.
    usually, they tend to show it by insulting.

    i guess it's best to keep it to yourself. they'll see what a good photographer u are someday. turn the insults into motivation to do better and achieve your goal.

    see who has the last laugh, yes?

    ReplyDelete
  19. hey arth akal,
    thanks man, ahahahah.. yeah in the end it matters, but i think by then i will refrain myself from laughing. A smile would suffice.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi Robin, has been browsing your side for quite a while & truly thinks that you have put a lot effort & passion in your photo works & It's shows.. I understand your frustration & as a designer & Owner of a graphic design studio, I have had facing your kind of situation many many times & it's just keep on happen. It's sad & frustrated but my fren, as long as u believe in wat you r doing.. Just keep going.. Just keep on rocking! Don't let these kind of ppl affect your passion. Keep up the good works!! Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  21. hey jesmond,
    thanks a lot man !! Your words are very encouraging. I guess you can relate to my situation. It is one thing to ignore what friends can say, but it is another to brush them aside. But of course, we cant let what they say get into the way of what we are doing !!!
    Cheers dude.

    ReplyDelete
  22. TOKO PUSAT /ASIA ELETRONIK
    MenawarKan Produk asli dan bergaransi :
    Harga Promo Stok barang terbatas Brng Bisa Nego Buruaaann
    ALAMAT TOKO.Jl.Kh.Hasim Asarhi no.125 sentral jkarta10150.
    HP. PIN BB:24C19401
    HUB:0853-2822-2842
    Hasyim Ashari Jakarta Pusat
    Kami Melayani pengiriman di seluruh indonesia melalui via TIKI/JNE

    Kamera DSLR CANON EOS 1100D Kit
    APS-C Digital SLR, 12.2 Megapixel, LiveView, 2.7″ TFT LCD, SD/SDHC Card Slot, include EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS
    Harga Rp. 2.200.000
    Kamera DSLR CANON EOS 500D Body
    APS-C Digital SLR, 15.1 Megapixel, LiveView, Full HD 1080, SD/SDHC Card Slot, 3.0″ TFT LCD, Body Only
    Harga Rp. 2.559.000
    Kamera DSLR CANON EOS 550D Body
    APS-C Digital SLR, 18.7 Megapixel, LiveView, Full HD 1080, SD/ SDHC/ SDXC Card Slot, 3.0″ TFT LCD, Body Only
    Harga Rp. 2.700.000

    Kamera DSLR CANON EOS 550D Kit1
    APS-C Digital SLR, 18.7 Megapixel, LiveView, Full HD 1080, SD/ SDHC/ SDXC Card Slot, 3.0″ TFT LCD, include EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS
    Harga Rp. 2.964.000
    Kamera DSLR CANON EOS 600D Body
    APS-C Digital SLR, 18 Megapixel, LiveView, Full HD 1080, SD/SDHC Card Slot, 3.0″ TFT LCD, Body Only
    Harga Rp. 3.087.000
    Kamera DSLR CANON EOS 600D Kit1
    APS-C Digital SLR, 18 Megapixel, LiveView, Full HD 1080, SD/SDHC Card Slot, 3.0″ TFT LCD with EF-S 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 II IS
    Harga Rp. 3.300.000
    Kamera DSLR CANON EOS 550D Kit2
    APS-C Digital SLR, 18.7 Megapixel, LiveView, Full HD 1080, SD/ SDHC/ SDXC Card Slot, 3.0″ TFT LCD, include EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS
    Harga Rp. 3.750.000
    Kamera DSLR CANON EOS 60D Body
    APS-C Digital SLR, 18.0 Megapixel, 3.0″ TFT Vari-angle LCD, SD/SDHC Card Slot, Body Only
    Harga Rp. 3.828.000
    Kamera DSLR CANON EOS 60D Kit1
    APS-C Digital SLR, 18.0 Megapixel, 3.0″ TFT Vari-angle LCD, SD/SDHC Card Slot, include EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS
    Harga Rp. 4.239.000
    Kamera DSLR CANON EOS 600D Kit2
    APS-C Digital SLR, 18 Megapixel, LiveView, Full HD 1080, SD/SDHC Card Slot, 3.0″ TFT LCD, with EF-S 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 IS
    Harga Rp. 4.323.000
    Kamera DSLR CANON EOS 60D Kit2
    APS-C Digital SLR, 18.0 Megapixel, 3.0″ TFT Vari-angle LCD, SD/SDHC Card Slot, include EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS
    Harga Rp. 4.500.000
    Kamera DSLR CANON EOS 60D Kit3
    APS-C Digital SLR, 18.0 Megapixel, 3.0″ TFT Vari-angle LCD, SD/SDHC Card Slot, include EF-S 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6 IS
    Harga Rp. 6.210.000
    Kamera DSLR CANON EOS 7D Body
    APS-C Digital SLR, 18.7 Megapixel, LiveView, Full HD 1080, CF Card Slot, 3.0″ TFT LCD, Body Only
    Harga Rp. 6.750.000
    Kamera DSLR CANON EOS 7D Kit1
    APS-C Digital SLR, 18.7 Megapixel, LiveView, Full HD 1080, CF Card Slot, 3.0″ TFT LCD, include EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS
    Harga Rp. 7.514.000
    Kamera DSLR CANON EOS 5D Mark II Body
    Full Frame Digital SLR, 21.1 Megapixel, LiveView, Full HD 1080, CF Card Slot, 3.0″ TFT LCD, Body Only
    Harga Rp. 8.508.000
    Kamera DSLR CANON EOS 7D Kit2
    APS-C Digital SLR, 18.7 Megapixel, LiveView, Full HD 1080, CF Card Slot, 3.0″ TFT LCD, include EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS
    Harga Rp. 8.709.000
    Kamera DSLR CANON EOS 5D Mark II Kit
    Full Frame Digital SLR, 21.1 Megapixel, LiveView, Full HD 1080, CF Card Slot, 3.0″ TFT LCD, include EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM
    Harga Rp. 13.319.000
    Kamera DSLR CANON 5D Mark III Body
    Full Frame Digital SLR, 22.3 Megapixels, LiveView, Full HD 1080, CF Card Slot, 3.2″ TFT Color LCD
    Harga Rp. 11.097.000
    Kamera DSLR CANON EOS 5D Mark III KIT
    Full Frame Digital SLR, 22.3 Megapixels, LiveView, Full HD 1080, CF Card Slot, 3.2″ TFT Color LCD, Include EF 24-105L IS USM
    Harga Rp. 17.000.000
    Kamera DSLR CANON EOS 1Ds Mark III Body
    Full Frame Digital SLR, 21.1 Megapixel, LiveView, CF Card Slot, 3.0″ TFT LCD, Body Only
    Harga Rp. 29.250.000

    ReplyDelete