Sunday, February 08, 2009

My Only CNY Celebration


So the Chinese New Year is coming to an end real fast this year, and being away from home only means that the consolation I ever had would be celebrating it with my friends. Unfortunately all of my friends, or whatever that is left of them are in Kuching, and being terribly new to KL does not help me much since I chose not to fly back to Kuching for the season. Thankfully my colleagues had cooked up a merry gathering with all the typical CNY activities all jumbled together into one really awesome night. To me, this was definitely more than enough to open this auspicious year of Ox.

*click* to expand photo




So around 13 people from the company popped in Fang Liang's place and the night started with a hearty steamboat dinner which was graciously prepared by Fang Liang's mother. Steamboat it was, hence plenty of steamed food, which was good for me since God knows what oily, fried and burned unhealthy food I have been stuffing myself in the past couple of weeks. For a home-style steamboat, the variety and quantity was very impressive !!! There was so much food we could not finish them.

*click* to expand photo


*click* to expand photo


*click* to expand photo


*click* to expand photo




I find this group of colleagues I work with rather interesting, and somehow a unique experience. Most of the people you see in the pictures in this entry do not actually come from KL. Almost everyone is from places scattered all around Malaysia. It was great seeing people from different places of the nation coming together and create a really special atmosphere for the occasion. This was something I did not expect at all working in this company, as I was joining I had this mind frame that tells me that I will be working and dealing mainly with KL people only. An opportunity to learn about people from all kinds of places was truly precious. We all share and learn.

*click* to expand photo


*click* to expand photo


*click* to expand photo




After dinner, we had a Wii session, and thanks to Fang Liang's 50 inch projection TV, everyone had a blast playing the Boxing and other sports. It was not my first time seeing Wii in action, but it was my first time playing it. I know you must think that I am living in the jungle or something, but hey, better late than never hey !! I must say it gets really addictive, and gosh, you can actually work up a sweat just by playing video games these days. How cool is that?

*click* to expand photo




A bottle of liquor and another bottle of red wine were popped and we all drank like there was no tomorrow. Ok I lied about that part, I, like most people drank in moderation, and the gambling session of blackjack commenced right after that. Ah what is CNY without a round or two of gambling sessions? I lost quite a bit of money, but that was nothing compared to the joy of seeing the facial expressions getting excited, intensed, surprised or even shocked when their cards were revealed.

*click* to expand photo



On photography notes, this was my very first few times utilizing my flash unit on people, so I am still pretty new at this. Since it was indoors, it was not too difficult deploying the ceiling for bounce lighting effect. Deep background shadows were completely eliminated, and very even lighting was achieved on the subjects (people). Generally colours and skin tone exposure came out surprisingly pleasant !! I am so loving the flash unit right now. Oh, and blur was eliminated on every single picture, which was a huge advantage for me from now onwards.

*click* to expand photo



If you asked me how was my Chinese New Year 2009, I am not going to lie to you, I will admit that it sucks being away from my dear home and family. Considering the circumstances, I do believe it turned out rather unexpectedly well and I did enjoy myself more than one occasion. Nothing ventured nothing gained. You have to leave some things behind to move on, and set aside some weight to carry and add on more. I have chosen a path, and I must not look back now.

All I am hoping now is for this new year to be kinder to me, and less cruel like what it has been for the past year.

Lets all hope its a good year ahead.

10 comments:

  1. hey allen,
    Gong Hey Gong Hey !!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. its ok robin i never played the wii before myself!

    and i come from the country where we spend millions of dollars on our athletes and they can't even qualify for the SEA games let alone the olympics but we have the skills to pwn at guitar heroes.

    -Marcus

    ReplyDelete
  3. hey marcus,
    LOL guitar heroes indeed !!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Robin, you are always welcome to come over my house for wii gaming, just don't hit anything in my house ...haha.

    P/S: That TV not 50" la....not that big...

    ReplyDelete
  5. hey fatsurugi lim,
    thanks man !! Appreciate that.
    Was an awesome dinner.
    Oh not 50 inch ? LOL lets just assume it is ahahah

    ReplyDelete
  6. i somehow know u have a new external flash when i look at the pics. hehe.

    did u get a diffuser along with it btw?

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy chinese new Year Robin. How's things there? I am so sorry I could not call you. I was too busy for the past few weeks after my return to kuching. family thingy. I hardly meet CCC and fred the rest as well. hope you have a great chinese new year there. and thanks alot of bringing me around when i am in KL and melaka. really appreaciate tat.
    Try to come back next year for CNY. Cos our group will not complete if less one ppl.

    ReplyDelete
  9. hey arth akal,
    Sharp eyes you have. Yeah I got a diffuser together with the flash, but I did not use it that night.

    hey kiki,
    No worries, nice catching up with you when you were stopping by KL.
    The way I see it, I don't think I would make any difference anyway whether I made it back or not. So yeah it does not really matter.
    At this point of life, I guess we are all to busy with our own stuff.

    ReplyDelete