Monday, February 23, 2009

By The Beach


There has been silence. What have I been up to, you asked?

Nothing much. I am still in my lethargic current state of being; hence my blog entries will come about slower than usual.

Last weekend, I had a chance to tag along a group of photo-kakis to Port Dickson for a session of photoshoot by the beach.

*click* image to see its awesomeness



Normally alarm clock could not wake me up till dangerously late in the morning before work, but on a non-working Saturday I managed to voluntarily jump out of bed even before my alarm clock started to scream at an ungodly 5am. I do wonder if I am sorting my priorities right these days.

When I got out of the house it was still pitch dark, and off we drove to Seremban for breakfast. There was this really famous Hakka Mee at Seremban Pasar Besar. Filling our stomachs, our group continued the journey to Port Dickson, the nearest beach to the giant city of Kuala Lumpur. It was quite a stretch of a distance. An hour and a half decent speed driving from Kuala Lumpur just to get to the beach is not exactly an idea to be rolled over and over again.

*click* image to see its awesomeness


*click* image to see its awesomeness



This was my first time to Port Dickson, or any beach in West Malaysia. I have little expectations since almost every single person have told me horrendous things about the place: dirty waters, unclean sand, terrible facilities and so on. The fact that I have been to the Western Australian beaches with naked babes with waters painted in blues deeper than anything I have ever seen before, it was hard to fall back from such standards. Nonetheless, I do feel the Port Dickson is not too shabby either, though it could have been a lot better provided proper planning, development and management.

The intention of the visit was specific: bikini shooting. There was a spot less crowded, and considerably clean amongst the many sides of beaches. We almost had the entire place to ourselves without unsuspecting eyes glueing at us as if we were monkeys coming down from the nearby jungle.

*click* image to see its awesomeness


*click* image to see its awesomeness


*click* image to see its awesomeness




Here were the challenges I faced during the shoot.

1) Harsh sun – the sky was clear, though not dramatically blue, and the direct scorching sun was a total nightmare to the session. For some weird reasons, no one brought along reflectors to combat shadows casted on models. It was difficult to obtain nicely lit faces without part of it being completely shadowed, and this is the first big no-no in portraiture of any kind.

2) Terrible sky and background – since the sky was baby blue with traces of whitish grey, the water instantaneously reflected the dull colour, which was not to my liking. I was expecting deep blue as the main backdrop but perhaps I was asking too much.

*click* image to see its awesomeness


*click* image to see its awesomeness



3) Posing – I have to admit this is the part I am terribly lacking. I am not familiar with model poses, and not doing my homework (again) before a model shooting just proved that the results would come out disastrous. I was not spontaneous enough to come up with cool posing tips and positions for the model, and I just worked with what others were doing at the moment. I need more experience in this area, and do more research beforehand, like seriously.

4) Composition and cropping Jian kindly pointed this out to me after I have shown him a few pictures. I do agree with him mentioning that something was lacking from the pictures (I am guessing that something was the ummpphh factor), and this could most likely due to the not-so-properly executed photo composition. To be fair the background was not that interesting, but I guess what I did could be improved.

I think I should stop writing about the photo-taking notes before Jasonmumbles scream at me over MSN again for writing a long winded stress inducing entry.

*click* image to see its awesomeness



Although the main agenda of the trip was bikini shooting, I find myself enjoying the session thoroughly, photography aside. It has been a long time (more than a year) since I last visited a beach. Putting myself out in the open, it felt surprisingly satisfying. Getting my skin burned under the harmful sun, soaking my feet into the salt waters as the waves come crashing to the shore. It was invigorating.

Do keep in mind that this blog is still under semi-break status.

So how was your weekend?