Sunday, November 23, 2008

I Ate Malacca over the Weekend


Side Note: I am starting to have a slight case of food poisoning at the moment, do not ask which one of the food I am blogging here caused it, but all I am hoping for now is for the symptoms to clear off before work on Monday.

I know I have just been to Malacca not too long ago, but this trip was not last minute spontaneous stunt like the one I did the previous time. I have promised a friend to stroke balls (tennis) all we can, and eat like we have never eaten before with him, together with another long time friend all coming together in the historical city of Malacca. I must say, that city has become my favourite over so many visits I have had there this year.

BOILED EGG with ROTI BAKAR



Basically I have tried out most of the famous food that must be tried by visitors like me, and no matter how many times I come here, I always do enjoy the variety and the unique taste of them. Nevertheless, there is always something new for me to sample, and that is the fun of having superbly brief trips each time. There are just so many kinds of food, available only in Malacca and cannot be found else where. The best part of it, most of the food comes really cheap comparatively to KL food, even to Kuching food in general.

SATAY CELUP




I have come with an aim of consuming Satay Celup. I have only had Satay Celup once before this, and that was quite pathetic considering how many times I have visited Malacca. I have grown to like it very much, and each time I went down there I would crave for it, but unfortunately circumstances were always against me. I am in love with the idea of selecting whatever food (wide variety here guys) you want being stuck into the satay sticks, and dipping it yourself into the rich, slightly spicy and savoury Satay Sauce to be cooked. We have had a few Satay Celup attempts in Kuching though, but I have not heard much of the news there ever since. Anyone had any idea what happened to those outlets in Kuching?

CHICKEN RICE BALLS



One of the outstanding food would be none other than the Chicken Rice Balls. I do not quite understand the necessity of forming the rice into balls, which would have made the process of serving the customer a few steps more cumbersome. Since the emphasis was heavily placed on the rice ball itself in selling the chicken rice, it has become something truly special, and for a non-frequent eater like me, it seems that no matter how many balls I have placed into my mouth, it was never going to be enough !!!

Note to Brandon: We had a whole chicken, with extra extra rice balls and it only cost RM9 each person, including drinks. Come to Malacca man, stop eating Chicken Rice in Melbourne !!!!

BABA LAKSA



CENDOL with OVERFLOWING GULA MELAKA





Baba Laksa was quite an unexpected dish for me, as a non-local in Malacca. Being brought up with the infamous (and of course better special in its own way) Sarawak Laksa, this version of Baba Laksa seemed rather unusual, yet interesting. The gravy was based on completely different ingredients, and the noodles and fillings were nothing similar to what we call as Laksa in Sarawak. Tuna in the laksa, who would have thought of that? I do quite like the refreshing dissimilar take on Laksa though, surprisingly, unlike how I trashed Penang Laksa.

Alright folks, this is all for this entry, and there shall be a continuation on food, hopefully after the following few entries on the places I have visited in Malacca. I have taken heaps and heaps of photograph too, in the midst of feasting and stroking balls and strolling around.

Also, it is refreshing to finally blog about food again. I do enjoy eating, and it has been quite a while since I last shared the joy with you guys.

Anyone had a better weekend than me?

7 comments:

  1. oh my god what glorious food! i heard so much about this satay thingy and seen it on tv but have yet to try some! only been to malacca once and that was on a school field trip years back so didn't have time to explore the good food there :(

    -Marcus

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is rolled into balls for easy consumption during the early days.

    The pioneers (the very old lady and her husband) started selling chicken rice balls during the construction workers didn't have the luxury to eat in the shop or eat from the plate. By rolling it into a ball, not only the seller could hand out the right amount of rice (in terms of how many balls), the workers can eat them directly from the plastic bag.

    I don't know how true, but I think that was what I told by my grandmother.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hey marcus,
    you must go and try it !!! but im sure u will make a trip there one day, its not too far from singapore, and its not too expensive too if you do not mind traveling by land.

    hwy jasonmumbles,
    owhhhh.. I see.. that was how the rice balls came about. Quite interesting I must say. Great to see that the tradition is still preserved till this day, and has somewhat become a prominent food in Malacca !!

    ReplyDelete
  4. lol.. i don't eat chicken rice at that place everyday ok. its just at that time i wanted to check out my fren's uncle's restaurant. I'll surely check out the chicken balls in mlka next time..

    btw jz updated my blog with the 50-200 review. I'm sure u've seen it b4. cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. hey brandon,
    LOL... just kidding just kidding. Yeah, u should give the chicken rice balls a try one day when you go shooting in Malacca !!

    ReplyDelete
  6. hi im going to malacca soon. do you mind to explain to me where can I eat the baba laksa and cendol? thanks ya:)

    regards,
    ming

    ReplyDelete
  7. hey ming,
    the baba laksa and cendol I had were served at no 88 Jonker walk. Quite a famous place, be prepared for a long queue on weekends !!

    ReplyDelete