Sunday, July 06, 2008

Conquering Bukit Melawati



Remember me visiting the Zoo Negara (visit) last week? While I was in the Taman Melawati area, I saw one of the hills towering the surroundings from afar, and I thought to myself, wow, it must have been an interesting high-ground lookout point, since the place was situated considerably far from the city center of Kuala Lumpur.

FULLY MOTIVATED




FIRST LOOK-OUT POINT



and still highly motivated....



Interesting thing happened on Friday, when some of my colleagues asked me along to join their overly extreme adventurous journey to climb up the Melawati hill, which I came across just a week ago.

Coincidence?

Maybe, but I would definitely not give up the chance of taking good landscape shots from the peak, provided that I could reach the peak of course. And so I said yes, and woke up ridiculously early on Saturday morning to meet up with the rest of the gang, and off we headed towards the hill.

RIVER VIEW



Damned, wish I have chopped that stupid tree off. Blocking my beautiful view.

ON THE ROCK



BACK-SCENERY




I am quite sure many of you guys must have gotten rather bored of my random pictures and entry write-ups for the past few weeks also, and somehow, lacking of human beings in the whole equation. Heck, even Marcus pointed out that I do not camwhore anymore, and staying behind the camera most of the times these days.

This entry, shall be different, and you will see heaps of smiling and cheerfully bright faces plastered all over. A change is good, no?

I also have been wanting to take landscape shots of Kuala Lumpur, but have not had the chance to do yet. You might wonder why? Do read on, and I shall tell you soon.


AND THEN THERE WAS WATERMELON



There was a couple we bumped into, and they brought a watermelon with them, training with weights at their back for practise I presume, they already got off, hence chopping the melon off, and gave it free for ALL of us !!!! How sweet...

EVERYONE LOOK AT ME !!!



MORE AWKWARD POSES




I have not exactly had any climbing experience beforehand, thus this is quite a new thing to me. Arriving at the toe of the hill, we started our journey with unexpectedly steep climb from bottom up, trekking through the jungle, with footing paths being partially cleared already by previous climbers.

It was quite a straightforward walk through, since the paths only had a few branches. Everyone started very happy and motivated from the beginning, high spirited you may say. With Jeremy being the loud one, providing lame jokes to keep everyone alive and smiling all the way up.

BREATHTAKING ENOUGH?



ANOTHER ADJACENT PEAK





BLUR LANDSCAPE



If you squint your eyes much, you might actually see KLCC and KL tower. How flatering the view. This is when I truly miss Perth's blue blue sky.




HOUSING AREA AROUND THE HILLS




We made plenty of stops along the way up, mostly on standings where lookout points to the views surrounding the area were. I brought along my Ollie obviously, and merrily snapped away, with willing people posing and shining their beaming faces towards my camera. Who does not want to take pictures anyway? It is not exactly an everyday thing to climb something so high up, and you do not get these sort of views from bottom grounds.

Since we made plenty of stops just to take pictures, pose and chit chatting away, the whole walk up was rather, painfully slow. Even some uncles and aunties having almost all white hairs were already making their way down from the peak, just to find us making our way up. Damned they made us look bad.

LOVELY COUPLE

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us



WHOSE SEXY HANDS??



GOING FURTHER UP




The day itself was overcast, with serious white ugly clouds blanketing the entire KL sky. For landscape, this is the worst nightmare, but for shooting portraits, or people shots, I think it can help to produce more natural skin tone, and obviously, better exposed and evenly lighted faces.

I was there to shoot a little bit of both, people and landscape, since I could not do much with the murky sky, plus the problem with the superbly ugly haze eating up the scenery of KL skyline, I focused more on taking the pictures of people instead. As you can tell from the pictures, the landscape shots came out very, very blurry, due to the haze, and there was nothing much I could do about the whole thing.

GOOD VIEW, THOUGH HAZY



MORE POSING






And so we climbed and climbed over slippery clay, hard rock sharp rocks, and swinging from trees to trees, and hopping through branches... ok a little bit exaggerating there, but you get the idea.

We got to the point very near the peak already, where the real challenge began, especially for a non-experienced guy like me, but for those seasoned mountain hikers, I believe the obstacles were a piece of cake. There was a sharp fall, which require ropes and... stunts to get you down. I think I almost.... never mind. Lets just be thankful that I am still alive and my Ollie is in one piece.


JUNGLE PEOPLE



THIS IS HOW ITS SUPPOSED TO BE



90 DEGREES UP



You guys see the danger?? LOL.. not an everyday guy like me had this kind of thing often...

CLOSING UP THE CLIMB




The scary obstacles aside, going down was a total nightmare. The slope and ground were unpredictably slippery !!! My shoes did not help at all being already used for countless sessions of tennis back in Perth, and gripping was almost non-existent. I think I must have landed square on my butt a couple of times slipping through the rocks. My butt started to hurt it was not funny anymore.

At least I landed on the ground, that was still alright, things would have gotten, errmm, very different should I slipped to the edge, which was just less than half meter away from where the path was, and down rolling steep to the bottom, an express lane you may say, would be the only route. Not exactly a pleasant experience, but hey, I have always have this thing going in my mind "Do something that scares you every day". I just fulfilled this during the climb !!

THE FINAL GROUP SHOT AT THE PEAK



There was not much view at the peak, not the best place to snap any pictures. But hey, we made it !! Whoo hooooo

Scary thoughts and experience aside, I truly did enjoy myself tremendously. It was my first outing trip with my colleagues from work, and I dare say that they are an awfully great and fun-loving bunch of mates. At least those folks are not just some dull and boring people who sits in front of the computer 24/7 burying themselves in work, particularly like those engineers I have known while working back in Perth. It was refreshing to be in a group of people who still think there is more to life than just work, and willing to spend time with others, exploring the nature and outdoors. I have not done anything this exhilarating for ages, and this shows how fast I am aging at the moment.

Unfortunately I only took the pictures while we were all climbing up to the peak, and while we were on our day down, it was so treacherous that I decided to fit my camera bag into my backpack, and not use it at all to concentrate on my own safety. I could not imagine my ollie myself rolling down the hill... no way man. There is still so much I need to do in this life.

So who says KL is all about shopping? After so many entries on the places I have explored in KL, I strongly disagree with those people who think that there is no place to go to, or nothing to do but just to shop in KL.

If you truly want to enjoy yourself, obviously there are many options. You just have to get out there, you do not expect them to come to you.

7 comments:

  1. How come I never knew there's a hiking spot in KL? And free watermelons on the top of the hill is simply awesome! Damn lucky you.

    Anyway, seems like overcast and haze ruined most of your landscapes, eh? Time to get a CPL!!!! xD xD

    ReplyDelete
  2. So many pictures and you only appeared once. Hmm...

    ReplyDelete
  3. hey fishtan,
    CPL cant turn a white sky to blue. And CPL cant get rid of haze too. Blardy pointless when KL is in this condition.

    Ahahahaa free watermelon, freshly cut is AWESOME man !!!

    Theres actually quite a few hiking spots lar, u need to know the right people.

    hey Jasonmumbles,
    I appeared TWICE lah ok.... going up the hill... passing around my ollie isnt exactly a wise thing to do ok?? LOL....

    ReplyDelete
  4. ok when i said i hope that one day i will be featured on your blog, this is not exactly what i had in mine! LOL

    anyways that climb really looks damn treacherous! i don't think i can do it myself! and yes u should go back to your camwhoring!

    -Marcus

    ReplyDelete
  5. hey marcus,
    ridiculous !!! If I can do it, sure can you !!!! no sweat for u i suppose ahahahaha...
    hmmmm... camwhoring? not so soon im afraid ahahaha

    ReplyDelete
  6. That senior of mine, Jeremy, is a hell lot funny guy. Don't you think so? He has a lot of craps to talk, and that is non-stop some more.

    ReplyDelete
  7. hey daniel,
    whoah u know jeremy? he was a greenian??? hmmmm.... I will interrogate him soon!!

    ReplyDelete