Sunday, April 20, 2008

Single Track Mind @ Bing

I know that Kuching is an exceptionally small place, yet I am always the last one to find out about events and happenings that are worth checking out. Such has happened yet again recently, when I just found out about the local music independent artists coming together to perform live at Bing, one of the most raved about coffee house in Kuching. Alex Wong from Single Track Mind, Evenstar and many other local independent artists were expected to wow and blow the crowd away.

The best part of all about that event, it was free.

Thank goodness for Allen who informed me and brought me to the event, or else I would have been missed out.


JOHNSTON and ALLEN

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us



I believe that part of the reason why the event was not exactly publicized openly through local media was because of the original intention to keep the event within a certain limited size of audience. I can quite understand, since the performance was held at Bing, which has considered a restricted space, definitely not fitted for such event to cater for huge crowd response. Things would have gotten out of hand if half of the Kuching population found out and flocked to the coffee place. Now that would be a scene worth blogging about.

Nevertheless words travelled fast, and as predicted, the whole space was completely flooded with Kuching folks.

Anyway, the night kicked off with some fresher and newer upcoming talents, slowly building up to the more known and respected performers.

EVENSTAR

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us


Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us




It was wonderful to be out there, listening, and supporting Kuching local music scene. I may not exactly be overly crazy about their performances, but I dare say that they do possess true talents, that could have made it HUGE elsewhere in the world, should they be given the right opportunity for exposure.


Interestingly, Alex Wong from Single Track Mind performed a few songs that I was very fond of. One of them being "storm" from Lifehouse, which has been an inspiring and uplifting song, circulating around my music player's list for years now. I thought that the way he expressed the song was rather weird, but yeah, Alex has got his own style, but I wished that he could make the song sounded a little smoother and more in flow.

ALEX WONG

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us


Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us


Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us




Another similar song, which I think Alex failed to mention and credit to the original artist was "sometimes you can't make it on your own" by U2. It was one of my favourites from u2. (well, come to think of it, who wouldnt love u2?) I was just disappointed that Alex did not have the courtesy to mention the original artist who wrote and recorded that particular song. Other than that, his performance for that song was exemplary.

It felt somewhat very refreshing to participate in a public event in Kuching, a small place where everyone would have been connected to everyone else around somehow. It was great to see all the familiar faces coming together to an event and having a fun time with each other. I have been away from Kuching for so long and it was a surprise for some people to see my face suddenly popping out of nowhere after disappearing for a whole long year. It was great seeing those joyful smiles again.

THE GIRLS

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us



Georgette, on of the Kuching bloggers that I have met since the very beginning of my blogging career (alright, I know its not a career but what the heck) was also there, but she came as a reporter to cover the event for Borneo Post. She brought an interesting lady, all the way from the United States !!! So it was not only one night of seeing everyone familiar, but also making an unusual connection with someone who flew in from halfway across the globe. And it was her first time in Kuching too.

GEORGETTE TAN

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us



AMANDA (all the way from Boston)

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us




I guess I was back at the right time. All the times all the good events happening in Kuching I was in Perth, and just had to miserably click on blogs to catch up on the entries covering events which I could have attended should I have been back here in Kuching. Nevertheless, coming back here, and taking this short break that I so oh deserve, I shall make full use of it.