Saturday, April 26, 2008

Invictus

by William Ernest Henley

Out of the night that covers me,
Black as the pit from pole to pole,
I thank whatever gods may be,
For my unconquerable soul.

In the fell clutch of circumstance,
I have not winced or cried aloud,
Under the bludgeoning of chance,
My head is bloody, but unbowed.

Beyond this place of wrath and tears,
Looms but the Horror of the shade,
And yet the menace of the years,
Finds, and shall find me unafraid.

It matters not how straight a gate,
How charged the punishments of the scroll,
I am the master of my fate,
I am the captain of my soul.


Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us


Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us




I believe most of you must have come across this superbly well known work of art somehow somewhere in your lives. if you have missed this out... goodness... where hath thou been all this timeth???? Is it not captivating to feel so much emotion and energy radiating from just beautifully arranged words?

There is torment, much misery in life. But it is up to us to step down, or decide that we must not give in to the circumstances, and stand up to the face of darkness. Fate will never be kind, life is no fairy tale, but as long as we are doing whatever we can in our power to walk on and look up ahead, I am sure somehow, we will find our way.

Whenever I am thrown into the pits of darkness, I always remember the last two lines of that breathtaking piece of art I have just shared with you guys.

I am the master of my fate.
I am the captain of my soul.

2 comments:

  1. how true! those words of wisdom!

    -Marcus

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey marcus,
    yeah... its amazing what those dinosaurs can write sometimes.

    ReplyDelete