Wednesday, March 05, 2008

Sea Fever



I must down to the seas again, to the lonely sea and the sky,
And all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by,
And the wheel's kick and the wind's song and the white sails shaking,
And a grey mist on the sea's face and a grey dawn breaking.


Image Uploaded by ImageShack Toolbar




I must down to the seas again, for the call of the running tide,
Is a wild call and a clear call that may not be denied,
And all I ask is a windy day with white clouds flying,
And the flung spray and the blown spume, and the sea-gulls crying.

I must down to the seas again, to the vagrant gypsy life,
To the gull's way and the whale's way where the wind's like a whetted knife,
And all I ask is a merry yarn from a laughing fellow-rover,
And quiet sleep and a sweet dream when then long trick's over.

By John Masefield (1878-1967)

8 comments:

  1. that was a lovely poem thanks for sharing it! by the way what beach is that in the photo? yes i miss the beaches in perth...

    -Marcus

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey marcus,
    ahahha when i read the poem, it feels as if its reflecting my life at the moment, so yeah..
    the beach was at Hillary Boat Harbor, up north.
    It is where the AQWA (aquarium of wa) is at.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's absolutely beautiful, thanks for sharing it. :) I'm going to copy this down into my journal.

    ReplyDelete
  4. hey elvawenn,
    Yeah, its such a powerful poem, with layers of meaningful messages burried within the lines.
    feel free to take it down, but remember to credit the original writer !!

    ReplyDelete
  5. i have never been to AQWA! how sad indeed for me to say so after spending 3 years in perth!

    -Marcus

    ReplyDelete
  6. heyu marcus,
    ahaha if it makes u feel better, theres nothing really that special about AQWA, but its worth going to have a look see. So u are not missing out much.

    ReplyDelete
  7. *LOL* I mean copy it down into my notebook journal... but if you want me to credit you in there too, I can do that. *wink*

    ps: Funny how the word "journal" has morphed into the online kind. Whatever happened to old fashioned journaling?

    ReplyDelete
  8. hey elvawenn,
    ahahaha oh i mean the original writer of the poem, not me, but yeah i thought it was referring to ur online journal !!

    ReplyDelete