Sunday, January 27, 2008

Perth Night Sky On Fire

Happy Australian National Day to all you wacky and cool Aussies out there. Since I am now here smacked in the middle of the celebration craze, I decided to tag along some friends into the heart of the Perth city and park my ass there waiting for the one event most looked forward to - SKYWORKS. It has been a tradition since God Know when that half or more of Perth population would flock the river fronts on both sides to witness this once a year magnificent display of fireworks.

PERTH APPROACHING SUNSET

Image Uploaded by ImageShack Toolbar




I kept insisting on going to Mill Point to shoot both river view and the city skyline as the backdrop for the Firework Display. A friend told me all roads leading there were blocked completely. Another friend told me that the place would be overly jammed and I would not find my spot among those who went hours before the fireworks start to catch auspicious spots. Nevertheless, I knew the position from over the river will definitely be better, provided the reflection of the sparks of light under the water, and if I could just get the right city night scene as the backdrop of my shots, it would be pretty much turn out to be AWESOME.

If I want to make something happen, I will fucking make sure it happens.


PEOPLE EVERYWHERE GOOOSSSHHHHH

Image Uploaded by ImageShack Toolbar


Image Uploaded by ImageShack Toolbar




And so I walked for more than 20 minutes (fast paced walk mind you) over the bridge to South, crossing the river, and made myself a comfortable spot at Mill Point overlooking Perth City. Yeap, I blardy made it happen, regardless road blocks and all those discouragements.

Everything was almost perfect, I had my tripod set up, and waited.

Unfortunately, I was a little bit off from the ideal position of having the fireworks directly in front of the city, and having the Perth as a backdrop. If I have walked another 10 minutes along the river front, my position would have been as I have planned. Oh well, this is a lession for me, must always plan ahead, and be informed correctly of where the fireworks exact shootout location would be at. My error in estimation costed me dearly in the photo compositions.

Nevertheless I did what I could, and I hope you guys enjoy the pictures. Feel free to comment. Now the possibilities would be endless if I actually own a DSLR.


PERTH ACROSS THE RIVER

Image Uploaded by ImageShack Toolbar




AND THE SHOW BEGINS...

Image Uploaded by ImageShack Toolbar




Armed with a tripod, all I did was setting the camera into long shutter shooting mode and tried to capture as many shots as I could. My timing on the firework display was still very bad, and this was one of my few experiences of shooting fireworks. I am generally satisfied with the results though, I know there are plenty of areas I should have paid more attention to, especially with overall setting fiddling and timing on releasing the shutter. I have missed plenty of awesome scenes, and I kept reminding myself I was just using a budget camera, which should not have been a viable excuse.

EXPLOSIONS IN THE SUNSET

Image Uploaded by ImageShack Toolbar


Image Uploaded by ImageShack Toolbar


Image Uploaded by ImageShack Toolbar



I have problem of getting the pictures overexposed, resulting in many "damaged" and unusable shots which could have turned out really good. Oh well.... I particularly love this firework display over the Swan River, there was so much variety, so many different arrangements, and of course, there was the sense of grandness in the overall performance. The crowd being there shouting and cheering just added up to the superbly lively and warm atmosphere. my pictures do not do much justice in telling you how good the whole thing was actually. Somehow, I do think seeing fireworks can heal your soul, in certain unexplainable ways. Just like going to the beach and just watch and listen to the waves crashing to the shore.

CELEBRATIONS OF LIGHT AND COLOUR

Image Uploaded by ImageShack Toolbar


Image Uploaded by ImageShack Toolbar


Image Uploaded by ImageShack Toolbar




Fireworks do signify many elements of the Australian National Day celebration. The multi colour display demonstrates the many variety of races and ethnics living together, and the brightness shows the warmth and harmony of the community. And of course, the display was so spectacularly awesome, that I do not think anyone could possibly hate it for any reason at all. You just have to love it.

And it lasted for 35 freaking minutes.

FLOWERY DISPERSIONS

Image Uploaded by ImageShack Toolbar


Image Uploaded by ImageShack Toolbar


Image Uploaded by ImageShack Toolbar




Man, after playing so much with my camera now I do understand why some people would invest so much on getting a DSLR. There is just too many limitations on a compact camera, so many things it just simply cannot do. BUt the thought of spending so much money just to get something to push my hobby to another level, makes me shudder. I never wanted to treat photography that seriously, it was supposed to be fun. It seems to have become a pssion somehow, but the question that is gonna bake my noodle is: Am I willing to fork out that much cash just for the sake of a hobby (that I am truly passionate about) and having fun with it? A very subjective question I must say.


SKY ON FIRE

Image Uploaded by ImageShack Toolbar


Image Uploaded by ImageShack Toolbar


Image Uploaded by ImageShack Toolbar




LOOKING TO THE SKY

Image Uploaded by ImageShack Toolbar



Gosh, I can't wait for the coming National Day already, and wishing the next Skyworks will be much grander and last longer. Yeah, I kept my promise from my previous entry stating that I would not post an entry on Japanese food this time. I did enjoy myself splendidly being there at the Skyworks, photographing, and most importantly, witnessing live as the whole blank dark sky lit up into artistic work of magic. Now if only I have extra one day holiday after Monday to catch up on my much needed rest....

9 comments:

  1. Damn pretty, right? I was right across the river from you. Front row seats summo. But I think you really got the best view.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous photos!
    And if you really do wanna get a DSLR, the Canon 450D/KissX2 looks soooo delicious =P

    ReplyDelete
  3. hey cynical-idealist,
    Gosh I think everyone I know in perth was there watching the fireworks ahahahaha...
    My view would have been better if I went all the way further along the river. Lesson learned, next time I will be more prepared.

    hey sam,
    thanks !! Aiyaaa me no $$$ lar ahahahahaa... sigh if only dslr can drop from the sky my life would be better.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very nice pictures Robin! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amazing shots! Looking at fireworks is indeed good for the soul.

    ReplyDelete
  6. hey blur thing,
    Thanks !! Im glad u feel the same way...

    ReplyDelete
  7. those are really amazing shots! i think u should really invest in a DSLR. if u really love something and u can afford it why not pursue it? everyone should give their lives more exposure. pity those who don't live to the fullest!

    wish i was there when the fireworks went off! when hk was handed over to china, the fireworks was 1 hour non-stop! after that there was only smoke and dust covering the air!

    -Marcus

    ReplyDelete
  8. hey marcus,
    thanks !! yeah I am considering on getting a dslr, but not that soon yet, maybe next year or something.
    As for now, I shall just make use of what I have.
    whoah, i doubt the fireworks in perth was anything near the one they had in HK !!!

    ReplyDelete