Wednesday, September 05, 2007

Night Photo-Frenzy

Not too long ago, I dashed out at night with my new camera to the War Memorial at Kings Park for my second night photography shooting since the Burswood entry a couple of weeks ago. I have been wanting to do this for quite some time now, but never had the chance to. Blame it on the constant rain.

TRAILS OF LIGHT

Image Uploaded by ImageShack Toolbar


Image Uploaded by ImageShack Toolbar



I have been there at night, and I have done the same thing before, at the same spot, but this time, I was doing it for the first time with my new camera. Though my old camera may have limited controls over the exposure, I still managed to get some satisfactory shots back then. Check out the results by clicking here. However, with this new camera, I have access to the advantage of full manual control of the camera, and boy, playing around with the settings could not have been any more fun !!

WAR MEMORIAL @ NIGHT

Image Uploaded by ImageShack Toolbar


Image Uploaded by ImageShack Toolbar



Kings Park may appear to be boring for some people not for the insane couples who make out in the bushes of course especially at night, but not to me. The city skyline shines different in the dark, and there is just this indescribable feeling of wonder (not that there is anything wonderful) and awe while overlooking the scenery from the hill top. Well, put it this way, it is the feeling of standing on top of a tall hill overlooking the entire world beneath it. It is a refreshingly unique point of perspective any artist would appreciate well.

Not to mention the chilly breeze or freezing strong wind powerful enough to shrink Kenny sia’s coconuts to raisins, depending on your luck in the early spring air just topped up the whole experience being at the top of the hill, though the hill is not exactly a tall one.

PERTH CENTRAL BUSINESS DISTRICT @ NIGHT

Image Uploaded by ImageShack Toolbar


Image Uploaded by ImageShack Toolbar



Note: The first picture (of the city CBD) was taken using Tungsten White Balance, while the second picture was taken with Daylight White Balance. Most photography websites would recommend the use of Tungsten to capture more realistic colours, cooler to the tone. I personally prefer Daylight, giving a much more intense saturation of the orange cast and making the whole frame looks very warm. Which one do you like better?

For those of you trying to compare the pictures with the ones I have blogged previously, it is difficult to see the improvements and differences, since the pictures were all resized and compressed heavily. In full size, or viewed on full screen on the original size, it was quite evident that the new camera is much superior than the old one. To emphasize on this point, take a look at the optically zoomed in pictures locked on the buildings. Not only can the camera zoom further, but the amount of details picked up in the shots are quite stunning too.

GETTING CLOSER AND CLOSER...

Image Uploaded by ImageShack Toolbar


Image Uploaded by ImageShack Toolbar



Alright enough of Kings Park, I think I have mentioned it too many times that it started to irk myself off. So where else can I go to capture good shots of the city landscape at night?

Across the river of course, and the light reflected on the waters was just simply astonishing. I walked across the bridge to Mill Point, South Perth just before sunset, and captured the sight of the city slowly giving way to the darkness of the evening.

PERTH CITY FROM ACROSS THE RIVER

Image Uploaded by ImageShack Toolbar


Image Uploaded by ImageShack Toolbar


Image Uploaded by ImageShack Toolbar


Image Uploaded by ImageShack Toolbar



The tripod that I own was the cheapest one I could find from the shelves, therefore the compositions and angle of my pictures are rather limited. Nevertheless, this was my first time shooting a night-landscape scene, using full manual settings. Controls like aperture size, shutter speed and ISO number carry little if no meaning at all to me when I started using my previous camera years ago. But not now. They all play very important part in maintaining a well exposed and balanced result, and even a slight change in each setting can create some dramatic effects. I am still new, and I am learning.

CAMWHORING @ KINGS PARK

Image Uploaded by ImageShack Toolbar


Image Uploaded by ImageShack Toolbar



There is so much more I could do and explore with this camera of mine, and I am just feeling extreme excited by the thought of that. Nevertheless, I have much to learn, and much to improve on. This is what I call, a progressive hobby.
I am thinking of writing a review on my new camera. I have received quite a handful of requests for me to blog about the new camera I have purchased a few months back. The reason why I am not exactly that keen on writing about this camera is that, there is nothing superbly amazing about it, you can say, nothing to shout about. But yeah, if more people added to the requests, I shall consider dedicating an entry for my “precious”.

LOOKING TO THE SKY @ NITE

Image Uploaded by ImageShack Toolbar



Lets go out do some crazy night shooting, anyone?

14 comments:

  1. ohh,..I love all the pictures> PERTH CITY FROM ACROSS THE RIVER.

    May I know what kind of model and brand camera u use??

    keep up your good job!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey laura,
    Thanks !!! I will blog about the camera in the coming entry. ahahhaha...

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow first a sound freak and now a cam freak! u have interesting hobbies my friend! keep up the good work with the photos! somehow the night shots of perth city really gives me that fuzzy feeling i've been missing for a long long time...

    thank you so much Robin =)

    -Marcus

    ReplyDelete
  4. hey marcus,
    thanks !! but but, im not qualified as a freak yet, ahahahhaa...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the nighttime CBD shots. Agree that the Tungsten produced more realistic colours but I like the warmth in the second pic too.

    All in all, great shots. And the beauty with digital is that you can see the shots you take and correct any mistakes instantly.

    I used to do these shots with a film SLR and it was a pain and expensive.

    ReplyDelete
  6. hey marcus,
    Thanks !! Yeah, digital photography definitely has the advantage of not using film and developing them... save plenty pf $$$$ too in a long run.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Deng. You really fully bring out your camera's potential.

    ReplyDelete
  8. hey jason,
    of course !! ahahhaa.. fun playing around with camera mar... its cost free anyway after the initial purchase, perfect for a poor guy like me !!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It appears that you would need someone to hold your camera while you are camwhoring. But with your very own tripod now, I believe you can camwhore anytime and anywhere without someone holding your camera. hahahahahaha.....

    By the way, the landscape of the city you took was nice. Can I boldly request for the original size??? Can?? Wanna put it as my wallpaper.

    ReplyDelete
  10. hey daniel,
    ahahahha yeah camwhoring will happen regardless whether there is people or tripod to hold the camera !!! Muahaahahhaa..
    I shall send you the pictures soon, kinda tied up with stuff at the moment. Do expect the email in a few days time.
    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  11. you sure you didn't steal some postcards and take a pic of it instead?

    ReplyDelete
  12. hey waterangel,
    ahahahaha right, and the postcard has the picture of me camwhoring !!

    ReplyDelete