Thursday, September 13, 2007

Kings Park Festival: Part 1

Side note: This is the 12th consecutive non-food based entry on my blog. Look who is counting !! I have not blogged about food, or posted any food pictures for nearly a month now. And who says I only blog about food?

So what happened right after we left the Malaysia Merdeka Festival? It was such a lovely day, despite the sudden on and off drizzle earlier in the morning till afternoon, the overcast sky was just right for a visit to the park. Every year, in spring (September-October for Australia) there would be Wildflower Festival at Kings Park, proudly displaying a huge array of wild flora blooming over the new season, and possibly live for the short season only.

However, something interesting happened this year. Instead of just the normal Wildflower Festival, Kings Park decided to transform it into an all new, grander Kings Park festival that lasts the entire month of September, incorporating many other activities and events, alongside the Wildflower Festival.

KINGS PARK

Image Uploaded by ImageShack Toolbar


Image Uploaded by ImageShack Toolbar




Khee Hwa, Jay and me headed for the festival in late afternoon, and we started off from the War Memorial. From what I have read in the official website, this year the scientists and botanical experts have worked very hard, putting in enormous amount of effort to gather seeds and conditioning them, arranging and planning for the display during the spring in a concentrated, centralised location of the park. That means, gathering a wide variety of flowers, some very rare ones, and putting them together, making them grow, and constantly preserving them so that they can live and last as long as the season. This has got to be a heck lot of work, but when you are present at the park, and witness the results, I am sure you can't help it but gasp loudly at the magnificent sight. I know I saw some weird aunties did.

I have taken hundreds of pictures, mainly on different variety of flowers, but I shall not show that many of them, since I do not think flowers would be such a turn on for you people. After all, I do not consider myself that much of a flower-fan as well, but I do appreciate the beauty of flowers. Therefore, I shall only show you guys the selected few of my favourites, and maybe, some other interesting and unique ones in the coming entry: Kings Park Festival: Part 2, if there will be any Part 2 at all.

PINK OVERLOAD

Image Uploaded by ImageShack Toolbar


Image Uploaded by ImageShack Toolbar


Image Uploaded by ImageShack Toolbar




YELLOW OVERLOAD

Image Uploaded by ImageShack Toolbar


Image Uploaded by ImageShack Toolbar




MORE PINK OVERLOAD

Image Uploaded by ImageShack Toolbar


Image Uploaded by ImageShack Toolbar



Don't you just want to throw yourself into the bed of the pink and yellow flowers?

I tell you it is a BAD idea. I have never heard of any successful suicide attempts by getting onself stung by bees before.


Alright alright, I know I heard some of you screaming "ENOUGH of the yellow and pink" flowers. Sorry for not recording the names/species of the flowers, I was too engrossed with taking their pictures and of course marvelling at their astonishing beauty. To me, those flowers stand out from other wildflowers at display, and I just have to make them the centre of attention !! Don't you think they deserve it?

Another one of the flowers that I feel oddly attracted to would be of the following picture:

FLOWEEEERRR ??

Image Uploaded by ImageShack Toolbar


Image Uploaded by ImageShack Toolbar


Image Uploaded by ImageShack Toolbar



Again, I do not have the name, but somehow, I could not have imagines anything of such thing would ever exist. Ok, that sentence did not come out right, but what I meant was, this is something fairly new, and unque to me. Looking closer into the plant, it is a rather complicated one I must say. I do not know what is so interesting about it, but there is just something that is different from the others.

If I feel like it, I shall upload pictures of other flowers (there were hundreds more to choose from !!) in the part 2 of Kings Park festival entry. I shall just wait and see what I will decide next. As for now, lets move on to something non-flower.

JAY AND KHEE HWA @ KINGS PARK FESTIVAL

Image Uploaded by ImageShack Toolbar



While we were busy playing with the flowers, I suddenly thought of an idea that would interest both Khee Hwa and Jay. Since both of them were fairly new to Perth, they have not realy explored much of Kings Park. There is this bridge built near the top of the hill with superb view over Swan River and the Swan brewery, which is considered to be a tourist attraction by itself. And so, I dragged them along to the bridge, which is more popularly known as the "glass bridge". You will see why.

PATH LEADING TO THE GLASS BRIDGE

Image Uploaded by ImageShack Toolbar



THE GLASS BRIDGE

Image Uploaded by ImageShack Toolbar


Image Uploaded by ImageShack Toolbar



I do not know why it is called the glass bridge, since the bridge was primarily constructed of steel. It is a steel bridge dammit !!! Just placing glasses as the railguard does not make it a glass bridge !! Ok, sue me already.

Nevertheless, though the bridge has nothing that exceedingly special to begin with since it is just like any other ordinary bridges out there, it never failed to attract people, especially those "white-haired" tourists. The view at the peak of the bridge is nothing short of breathtaking.

THE VIEW FROM THE GLASS BRIDGE

Image Uploaded by ImageShack Toolbar




There is so much happening around the park for the festival. Major facelift was performed over the past half year, road repairs, garden renovations, just to prepare for this one celebration of the year thing. Events such as live performances, fashion shows, art dispays, and many more are going on for the entire month, and sadly many of the good stuff are happening on the weekdays, which I could not afford to attend. Nevertheless, the main attraction of the festival was the wildflower, and the flowers will be there for maybe another few more weeks.

I seriously do feel like posting more flowers up, maybe in a separate entry. What do you guys think?

And like usual, I look deep into the sky.

ROBIN LOOKING TO KINGS PARK SKY

Image Uploaded by ImageShack Toolbar



Man, I am now exactly one week away from my graduation ceremony, and I am feeling excited about it already !! Gosh...

6 comments:

  1. wah...sui man. If only Malaysia got spring season also. haha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey chun chow,
    come to perth !!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. love the flower pics! i have a feeling my sis is going to drag me to kings park pretty soon, we love our wildflowers. sigh, i just hope it stops raining for a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  4. hey di,
    thanks !! I think I will go to the park again soon also. Yeah, the rain could get annoying at times

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow magnificent entry my friend! and yes on behalf of everyone i think u should post more photos of flowers! i like the way u make the flower standout clear and sharp in the photo and the background go blurry. very pro man! LOL ok im such a noob...

    spring really looks superb! and u seem to have lost a bit of weight Robin. your forearms look skinny. hope u have been taking care of yourself...

    -Marcus

    ReplyDelete
  6. hey marcus,
    ahahaha ok i will do that flower entry, maybe in the coming 2-3 entries or so.
    Ahaha dun worry, working life may be stressful, but im managing it.

    ReplyDelete