Saturday, September 29, 2007

Graduation Conclude: Looking to the Sky

Side Note: This is my LAST graduation mini-series, I promise. And this is the 17th consecutive entry I have made WITHOUT any traces of food. Now who was it again who said this is a food blog? Who said I only blog about food? Who, who???


The graduation night itself seemed to be rather short, it is true that time passes by very quickly when you are having a good time. Not having enough of the "good feeling", I decided to extend my regalia and hood rental all the way through the weekend. I explained my reasons and surprise, surprise, they allowed me to do so without extra charge!! This is definitely something that wont happen in Malaysia, unless you have some "connections" there and here to override the normal flow of working procedures.


Why do I need to have the regalia and hood over the weekend you ask? Well, knowing me so well guys, is it not blardy obvious already??


Yes, to CAMWHORE with it, until I was satisfied. It is something very important to me, and camwhoring for only one night was obviously not enough for me.


THOSE THAT HAVE BEEN THERE FOR ME

JAK YEW AND SHIRLEY

Image Uploaded by ImageShack Toolbar




KHEE HWA - NIBBLING PIZZA

Image Uploaded by ImageShack Toolbar



This is Khee hwa, a dear friend of mine who has been there to photograph me for the entire night during my graduation, using his Canon s5.


JAK YEW - ALSO NIBBLING PIZZA

Image Uploaded by ImageShack Toolbar



THE THREE OF THEM

Image Uploaded by ImageShack Toolbar




Also, there were some great friends who could not make it there for the graduation night, but they made it up to me by joining me in my camwhoring session, and we all have our beautiful faces frozen in the frame of pictures.


So now, you guys know "what" I was going to do, with my graduation gown. The question next, is gonna be "where".


In my mind, I have decided on three separate places to have my pictures taken with me in the graduation robe, but unfortunately due to time constraint and some unforeseen circumstances, we could only made it to the first two.


The first destination: ARALUEN BOTANICAL GARDEN

SERENE SCENES

Image Uploaded by ImageShack Toolbar


Image Hosted by ImageShack.us



Image Uploaded by ImageShack Toolbar





We have been planning to go to this botanical garden since the beginning of spring (late August) but never quite made it there since we were all busy people with too many things happening in our lives. The garden is famous for their tulips and wildflower display, a perfect outdoor spot for family outings or big groups in general. Unfortunately, much to our disappointment, we have come to this place a little too late, and due to the harsh weather plus enormous amount of rain over the past few weeks, almost ALL the flowers were DEAD !!


WHATS LEFT OF DYING FLOWERS

Image Uploaded by ImageShack Toolbar


Image Uploaded by ImageShack Toolbar


Image Uploaded by ImageShack Toolbar




Nevertheless, we still made the best of what was at hand, and the whole place itself was very appealing, especially for any sort of photography. There was a couple who had their marriage photography arranged on that particular day too, so yeah, Araluen with or without the flowers is still an awesome spot to camwhore. And so the camwhoring activities began.



The park itself is considered to be a hilly walk, having the need to step up and down the stairs everywhere. It began as a cloudy day, and partly sunny, and later it turned into very harsh sunny day. When I see great backdrop, I would camwhore and camwhore. Camwhore to the content of my haert.

ON THE WAY UP

Image Uploaded by ImageShack Toolbar



THE THREE OF US

Image Uploaded by ImageShack Toolbar



PRESENTING THE GRADUAND: ROBIN WONG

Image Uploaded by ImageShack Toolbar



THIS IS ME

Image Uploaded by ImageShack Toolbar




It was really awkward walking around in such an alien place with my regalia, not to mention under the broad daylight. Everyone would have turned their heads at least twice, some more pleasant people even smiled and extended their warm congratulations, although we were complete strangers to them. Some striked up conversations, and asked where I have studied, and when I have graduated. People here are really warm, and more open hearted, which I have known over the years but still find it rather hard to believe and understand. It was truly something different, and doing all the crazy stuff we did with me camwhoring all around the park, knowing that people find interests in knowing, makes the whole trip even more worthwhile and less embarassing.

JUNGLE TRAIL

Image Uploaded by ImageShack Toolbar



THE HILL AT MY BACK

Image Uploaded by ImageShack Toolbar



KHEE HWA JOINED IN

Image Uploaded by ImageShack Toolbar



BEHIND THE FLOWERS WE STOOD

Image Uploaded by ImageShack Toolbar



I LIKE THIS PICTURE

Image Uploaded by ImageShack Toolbar



SHIRLEY, JAK YEW and ME

Image Uploaded by ImageShack Toolbar




Before we left the place, we sat down at the amphi-theatre area to watch the live performance of two local singers doing duets on well-known numbers, mostly on romantic songs. The guy singer spotted me in my costume, and smiled at me directly. On that instant I knew something was wrong already. Few minutes later, the singer walked all the way up to where I stood, and extended his hands to congratulate me.... and asked me... "Is this your wedding day?"


I swear I almost fainted. My friends around me too.



The second destination: Kings Park


This is such a near place to where I live, and yet it combines 3 very prominent element that I want in my pictures: The City Scene, The Water, and most importantly, the Sky. It was getting sunny and hot in the later afternoon, and the sunlight was a touch too harsh for good photos. I was so high in camwhoring spirit that it did not matter, I just needed to snap as many photos as I possibly could.

PERTH AT MY BACK

Image Uploaded by ImageShack Toolbar



STANDING STILL FOR A MOMENT

Image Uploaded by ImageShack Toolbar



SHIRLEY, ME and THE CITY

Image Uploaded by ImageShack Toolbar





Kings Park has always been a special place to me, there were times things just seem so terribly wrong, that I just wanted to get as far away from my room as possible, so I took a walk up the hill to the peak, where the memorial park is at, which would easily take one hour of normal paced walk, plus cutting through the bushes and greens which kind of portrays the feeling of nature along the walk. Getting uphill makes you tire quicker, hence giving the feeling of travelling much further than ordinary walks. Once I was at the top, I would sit down on the green pastures, and looking deep into the picturesque landscape, and looking deep into the sky, in whichever state it would be in. Its funny how the sky can reflect the kind of mood you are in, and mirrors what you are feeling at that moment. My mind would wander off a while, and everything would seem ok even just for that short momemt. That was my way of escaping my problems temporarily.


KHEE HWA AND ME

Image Uploaded by ImageShack Toolbar



JAK YEW AND ME

Image Uploaded by ImageShack Toolbar



MANY HANDS HAVE WE

Image Uploaded by ImageShack Toolbar



Therefore, looking back during those university years, and how many times I have made it to the Kings Park War Memorial, I do feel that this is a significant place, that I have always been there when it matters most. Hence, I MUST camwhore here for my graduation.

After Kings Park, everything about my graduation has come to an end. I have wanted to go on and have more pictures taken at Matilda Bay, another significant spot of my life in Perth, but I believe everyone has been extremely exhausted, and it would only be selfishly inconsiderate to pester and drag everyone there, though I koew they would do so for me. To me, I have had enough, and I felt satisfied after a looooong day of travelling and camwhoring. It was all worth it, and I was happy.

When I arrived in Perth the first time, I was deeply fascinated and astounded by the superbly clear and cloudless sky. Therefore I looked into the sky.

I was an ordinary boy back then, living ordinary lives, in this land of the Aussies.

But I looked to the sky.

And three years after that, after everything that has happened, after my university life has ended...

I STILL LOOK TO THE SKY...

Image Uploaded by ImageShack Toolbar



So guys, please tell me, do you guys see what I see when I look into the sky?

4 comments:

  1. Robin! You look great in your graduation uniform!

    Psst: the pictures are so $%^*$ beautiful. Grr.... DSLR?

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey dienasty,
    Thanks !!
    LOL... not dslr.. but skill !! Ahhahaa.. ok ok just kidding there...
    kodak c875 and Canon S5

    ReplyDelete