Thursday, August 30, 2007

UWA Expo 2007

It has been a refreshing break for me, having some time away from blogging. I am back, and I am staying here for a long, long time.

Since I have reformatted my laptop, everything is rather fresh and new, and I am gonna stick to the old-style classic bliss wallpaper (blue sky, green grass scenery) for a long, long time. I used to hate that wallpaper since everyone else was using it for an era, but now that XP is getting extinct, being replaced by Vista, somehow the old wallpaper appeared to be more attractive.

University of Western Australia

Image Uploaded by ImageShack Toolbar





Last Sunday, it was the UWA Expo 2007, an event having the uni being open to the public mainly to gain attention and kidnap some unfortunate souls to enrol in the following semester. This has become an annual event for the not so old University of Western Australia, and the event itself never failed to bring in many visitors year after year. It just amazes me, since the exhibition and public displays are almost the same, why are the people coming back again? There could not be that many new people visiting this one of the few universities in Western Australia each new year, right? Perth is not that huge anyway.

PEOPLE PEOPLE PEOPLE

Image Uploaded by ImageShack Toolbar


Image Uploaded by ImageShack Toolbar


Image Uploaded by ImageShack Toolbar



I have blogged about UWA Expo 2006, feel free to check it out (click here). Unfortunately, the UWA Expo 2007 is not that much dissimilar from the previous one in 2006, and most of the interesting stuff I have already presented in that old entry last year. Though I feel inclined to photograph the same thing and re-tell the story, I think it would just be boringly redundant and pointless. Hence, I shall just focus on other parts of the event that I have not mentioned, and being there myself, I tried to capture the feel and atmosphere of UWA Expo this time around.

UNDER AN UMBRELLA ELLA ELLA...

Image Uploaded by ImageShack Toolbar


Image Uploaded by ImageShack Toolbar



The day was a rainy day, weather forecast reported a high possibility of thunderstorm. Nevertheless, people from God knows where still came to the University grounds and roamed around aimlessly. There were happy faces, confused faces, and certainly some very astonished faces, like this university is made of gold or something. Trust me, once they have started studying in the uni, they will start to realize the shocking complete opposite. Yeah, truth hurts.

One of the highlights of the School of Civil and Mechanical Engineering was the Motorsports Display. UWA is an active participant in the Australian Motorsport Competition, and has earned itself a very good reputation over the years by winning a handful of respectable awards. All made possible by the slavery of the students, who spent day and night in the laboratory building the racing car prototype, tweaking it, and perfecting it into an award-winning machine. Since I fail to see the wonders in any cars generally, I do not see anything prestigious or outstandingly special for excelling in Motorsports. Though I must say, its amazing how the team from UWA could almost always win some big awards year after year.

Here are some pictures of the live demonstration of the Prototype in the open James Oval.

YELLOW CAR

Image Uploaded by ImageShack Toolbar


Image Uploaded by ImageShack Toolbar


Image Uploaded by ImageShack Toolbar



Here is a video clip too, check out the roaring sound of the machine. I bet some guys could get raging hard erections just by listening to the engine struggling.

[For some odd reasons I can't upload my videos properly to you tube yet after reformatting. I shall get this fixed soon, and check back for the video clip. Sorry for the inconvenience]

There were plenty of places to go to, almost all faculties and schools were open to public for career info, and talks or seminars were held at various functions to cater for different interests. Their main target were fresh students to go into either first year of Bachelors or foundation. Hence it was not so much of help for me and my friends who went since most of us have already completed university education very very long ago Not to mention that they were not having that much useful information for postgraduate studies as well. Many times, we were politely asked to “refer to the website for more information”. Blardy hell, if what I want to know is available on your websites why on earth would I be speaking to you there and then??? Such non-sense!!

UWA GUILD VILLAGE

Image Uploaded by ImageShack Toolbar



GUILD REFECTORY

Image Uploaded by ImageShack Toolbar




It was near lunchtime that I decided to stop by at the Guild Village to quench my never-ending hunger. Guess whom I met there? Farhan and gang!! They volunteered for the event as student helpers, how generous and so “chiak pa boh so cho” of them to do so!! When I arrived they almost finished their food already. I was quite surprised that some of them actually do still read my humble blog. And they even volunteered to do my signature pose, the V on the chin. Unexpected, but I felt honoured!!

THE GANG IN RED

Image Uploaded by ImageShack Toolbar




It the day was not raining on and off, I would have covered more ground in much quicker time. I found myself stranded at places, and its just frustrating sometimes. Anyway, I did enjoy myself, though as much as the first time I went to the Expo few years back when everything was new to me. You can’t show the public the same trick twice. It is like going to the PC Fair in Kuching, almost every PC Fair looks boringly the same, I seriously wish the organizors would try to make the events more unique and outstanding from their usual stereotypical pattern, and I am referring to both Kuching PC Fair and UWA Expo as well. On another note, UWA is known for their un-creative-ness of handling things, so it is not really much of any news.

TEAKWANDO DEMO

Image Uploaded by ImageShack Toolbar




I was quite disappointed by the school of Civil Engineering. Several years ago, they opened up the lab and provided free visits to the public, but not this year. There was this cleverly modified liquefaction model of sand that could stand a person inside the model, and they made a quicksand model out of it to simulate the occurrence of a quicksand sucking the legs of the person standing in it. Too bad I have not had a camera back then, would have been awesome to capture the expression of a kid having his legs sinking in the sand and feeling helpless about it. I gathered that maybe there was a considerable amount of risks involved while having the public into the lab, especially with the demon-kids around. They just destroy whatever cometh their way.

SCHOOL OF CIVIL AND MECHANICAL ENGINEERING

Image Uploaded by ImageShack Toolbar



Or maybe UWA is currently running a top-secret experiment producing a mass-weapon that could spark total world domination, hence keeping the public off limits. Maybe, it’s underground. Who knows what the Uni is capable of?


Of all the faculties and schools, I believe the one that stood out from the rest and drew the highest number from the crowd would be Physics. I used to like the subject Physics a lot since my high school days, that was until when I was in college, and subsequently uni, that when I discovered the horror and frightening sides of physics, somehow I just failed to see the wonder and beauty in Physics anymore. Well, that’s just me after all.

SCHOOL OF PHYSICS

Image Uploaded by ImageShack Toolbar


Image Uploaded by ImageShack Toolbar


Image Uploaded by ImageShack Toolbar



THE REASON WHY GUYS ENJOY PHYSICS MORE THAN GIRLS

Image Uploaded by ImageShack Toolbar



OOHH LA LAAAAAA !!

Man, year after year, though the demonstrations and live experiments remained the same, they never fail to attract curious innocent minds to have a look-see on some cheap tricks using simple principles of magnetics and electrics. Nitrogen liquid has always been there, and I do not see anything extra-ordinary about it, the liquid just freezes things. Nevertheless, the kids love the shows and I guess that was what the whole thing was about. As lame as the tricks could be, at least they draw in the attention.

You know what would have been uber-cool? Building a human-sized transformable Optimus Prime. But I am sure the lecturers and professors are too boring to approve such a stunning idea.

MOLECULAR BIOLOGY

Image Uploaded by ImageShack Toolbar



TRAM SERVICES, FREE TOUR AROUND CAMPUS

Image Uploaded by ImageShack Toolbar


Image Uploaded by ImageShack Toolbar




After taking a look at the molecular biology building, and taking another look back at the civil engineering building, I did feel crap being an engineering student here. Man, what a contrast. Apart from that, the business school is having a larger new building currently under construction. Yet Civil and Mechanical Engineering are still sharing that pathetic old ugly looking falling apart building. The main reason is probably due to the number of student intake decreasing every year. There are less and less people taking up the Civil Engineering course over the years here.

REID LIBRARY

Image Uploaded by ImageShack Toolbar


Image Uploaded by ImageShack Toolbar



Its odd but true, engineering is not really a popular choice here in Australia, unlike Malaysia where all the parents are pressuring the kids to become engineers if they would not do well enough to fall into the sad world of medicine. Engineering is perceived as something with good prospects, and has a good potential of bringing in good money. What a whole load of garbage. Seriously, after studying years of engineering in Uni, I can just say that people here do not regard engineering as being more prestigious than any other courses. People here also know that it is FUCKING HARD to even survive in the engineering education, let alone the coming hell of engineering career. Failure rate among the students are alarmingly high, and quite a handful of students would run away and switch to another course after year 1 or year 2 of engineering. In the working hell of engineering reality, engineers take in shits, all kinds of shits, from all kinds of shitty people, for all of their shitty lives, and they seldom get the credit and rewards that they so fuckingly deserve.

RANDOM PEOPLE @ EXPO

Image Uploaded by ImageShack Toolbar


Image Uploaded by ImageShack Toolbar



And the pay/salary of being an engineer in Malaysia is now generally considered as something waaaaaaay below average, and even after working for decades your salary would not shoot anywhere that much further from where you stand now. So for you clueless kids who are reading this and deciding if engineering is the right choice of career while everyone else around you (parents, teachers, your pets etc) are telling you all the shiny wonders of engineering, let me convince you that all those are nothing but just pure rubbish. You will thank me 10 years later for this, trust me.

I think I will dedicate a full entry for engineering misery soon.

PHOTOGRAPHER CAUGHT BY MY LENS

Image Uploaded by ImageShack Toolbar



All in all, the Expo was quite a good one, though it could have been much better if the uni put more effort and creativity into it. I know this has been an awfully long entry, and I should somehow keep in mind to have some kind of word limits to each of my entries. It is not like everyone will read everything, some people just skim through the pictures anyway, which makes me really sad because there are times I really do spend plenty of time just to compose those strings of words. Of course, not for this entry, since I just blindly blurted out whatever that came into mind.

14 comments:

  1. Robin, you also had a rather short break too! Haha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey daniel,
    Well, I did mention it was gonna be a short break !! LOL...
    i promised to blog about this expo mar... so better blog it quick before it got stale...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now then you say, my brother is just starting his engineering degree in the US! Hehe, but he's doubling his degree with Econs, so hopefully that will provide more options.

    ReplyDelete
  4. hey di,
    oops, ahahhaa
    oh well, i was just saying that most people say good things about engineering, i just wanna say its not all true, and well, maybe its just me.
    Im sure ur brother will do fine. Double degree? He must be very smart.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks like a good day ... but I'll stay at Curtin and Uni New England. I can't afford to go to a third Uni. :-)

    -Dabido

    ReplyDelete
  6. hey dabido,
    yeah, curtin was under a strong consideration before i chose uwa back then. I might consider going to curtin for another course..

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sigh, seeing that Tkd pic makes me miss it so much. =(

    But now no time to train back up. Boo..

    ReplyDelete
  8. hey cynical idealist,
    well, if its really something you want to do, im sure you will be able to make time and effort for it. Of course, at this point of life we have plenty of other things to focus on, but u can choose not to give it up completely !!

    ReplyDelete
  9. LOL, you return comments in real time! Not bad not bad.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey cynical-idealist,
    Thats what I am famous for !!! aaaahahahaha

    ReplyDelete
  11. Redi Library! James Oval! Ref Club! This is the best post ever! i miss UWA to pieces! wow thanks so much for doing a cover of it! its great to see all those old sights and i can almost imagine myself being there right now!
    More i say!

    -Marcus

    ReplyDelete
  12. hey marucs,
    ahahhaa thanks !! Glad u enjoyed the entry !! was suposed to capture more and better shots... but it rained on and off, ahahaha... or else it would have been better !!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hmm...I guess every course has its good/bad side.

    Medicine is always #1. Engineering comes next, followed by the other fields. I guess that's just the Malaysian mindset.

    I'm glad I didn't jump on the bandwagon, partly because Physics freak me out.

    But then again, a degree in IT doesn't make life easier for me now. Hehehe :P

    ReplyDelete
  14. hey raymond,
    I guess it all comes down to what we want to do and what we like doing, rather than listening to what people tell us to do.

    ReplyDelete