Sunday, August 05, 2007

A Day Without Rain

Side Note: Unexpectedly I had a raving feedback for my previous entries covering for the "Perth Autosalon", and the follow-up "Hot Chicks Dancing on Stage". I have received several emails, some from the car owners who had their muscle cars on exhibition requesting me to email them some pictures of their cars, and even some of the HOT babes on the stage who asked for any of their photos taken to be emailed to them. Goodness, I never knew any of them would ever find my humble blog !!!! If I have the photos as requested, I would gladly email them to everyone of you, which to some of you I may already had done so. Unfortunately, I am still terribly new to photography, and not only have I missed plenty of good shots, many of my pictures turned out bad. For those of you who have kindly reqauested for the photos but I have them not, you have my sincerest of apologies. Besides, I did not expect such overwhelming response at the first place. I shall ask around my other friends who went to the event with me, should they possess any good photos, I shall direct their works to you all. Sorry again.


It has been raining crazily over the past few weeks, and it just seemed like the rain would never stop pouring. It gets a little depressing over such a long period of downfall, with minimal sunlight and absence of warmth. Thank goodness the continuous streak of downpour was broken yesterday, Friday, and suddenly it was good and sunny again, with clear blue sky.

Since today is Saturday, and it has been wet and gloomy for the past few weekends, I am guessing Perth folks would flock outdoor parks to experience the fresh dry air and the heat of the winter sun. I took my trusty camera with me and headed up to the War Memorial at Kings Park, which ia a hill top overlooking the Perth city. My guess was correct, there were many people, families, couples or lonely people scattering all over the place. The atmosphere was just amazing, something about just being there, and part of the group of people, was simply something you could not quite get anywhere in Malaysia.

PERTH CITY IN WIDE VIEW

Image Uploaded by ImageShack Toolbar


Image Uploaded by ImageShack Toolbar



The shots above are performed with panorama function, which I have never done before. All my previous panorama-alike pictures were just crops from original size.

Why is Kings Park such a famous spot? Good scenery, view covering the whole city skyline, and its a park itself, spreading over a wide land.

There are so many places to visit in Kings Park, and I myself have not fully explored the entire land yet. Nevertheless, almost everytime I was there, I never failed to stop by the War Memorial, which is located at the peak of the hills. This is also the place most people would flock to, and with such a fine weather like today, this place was definitely a hotspot.

THE WAR MEMORIAL PARK

Image Uploaded by ImageShack Toolbar


Image Uploaded by ImageShack Toolbar



THE EVERLASTING FLAME

Image Uploaded by ImageShack Toolbar


Image Uploaded by ImageShack Toolbar



This is the first time of me shooting at people randomly. I just thought that it was really refreshing to just observe different people from all over the places that come together at this spot. Somehow, just simply looking at them gave me a satisfactory feeling. I do not know if this makes sense, heck I am NOT stalking, but just simply watching from a distance. There were peace and comfort in doing so.

PEOPLE PEOPLE PEOPLE

Image Uploaded by ImageShack Toolbar


Image Uploaded by ImageShack Toolbar


Image Uploaded by ImageShack Toolbar



LOVING COUPLES...

Image Uploaded by ImageShack Toolbar


Image Uploaded by ImageShack Toolbar


Image Uploaded by ImageShack Toolbar



The Australian, or Western Culture generally, portrays passion and affection in public without holding back much, something which is lacking in Malaysia. Of course, people would cringe at the thought of seeing a couple kissing or hugging in public places, but interestingly those things do not happen in this place. There is just so much open-ness and it is an interesting thing to watch itself. You may say the people here are too open-minded, but I tell you people in Malaysia are just the total opposite: too CLOSED/NARROW minded.

So you think I am the only crazy guy walking around with a camera?

Wait till you see this...


PHOTOGRAPHERS IN KINGS PARK

Image Uploaded by ImageShack Toolbar


Image Uploaded by ImageShack Toolbar



Thanks to the plentiful water falling from the sky, though it is still early, Perth is already showing signs of spring. Flowers start to bloom already, and Kings Park itself is a Botanical Garden, housing quite a huge number and wide varieties of plants and generally, flowers !! Water and sunlight brought life to the new season.

FIRST SIGNS OF SPRING

Image Uploaded by ImageShack Toolbar


Image Uploaded by ImageShack Toolbar


Image Uploaded by ImageShack Toolbar



WHAT WAS THAT FLOWER??

Image Uploaded by ImageShack Toolbar



On my way back, I saw a wedding photography taking place. It was already approaching sunset, and the lighting was just right, providing the orange hue and warm mixture of colour tones. Yeap, Kings Park is also a popular spot for wedding photography, and it was lucky for the couple for it did not rain on this particular day. I took some pictures of their photo-shooting session in progress from quite a distance, and I had to use digital zoom to get closer. Ahhh, technologies.

WEDDING PHOTOS BY THE WATER

Image Uploaded by ImageShack Toolbar


Image Uploaded by ImageShack Toolbar


Image Uploaded by ImageShack Toolbar




It has been a terrific and fulfilling Saturday afternoon for me. Breathing fresh air and walking around seeing lively people were just what I needed to unwind and relax after a whole week of stressful work in the office. The sky was blue, and I just had to be out there under the sky to experience the life. Some of you may think this is crazy, but to me, this is how I define fun.

So how is everyone's weekend? Anything huge happened worth sharing?

7 comments:

  1. I love the panorama pictures!!! If only we can have something this beautiful with clear skies in Kuching...*sigh*

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now im inspired to get a camera. Before spring comes hahahaha.

    And the days w/o rain has been great!!! :D

    Btw, the 1st pic of the couple u took...they shud pay u for that. lol. its nice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hey water angel,
    thanks !!! give Kuching some time lar, the sky scrappers will sprout up more in maybe 15-20 years, and I bet the view from across the river would be astonishing. But sadly, the river will never be blue.

    hey san,
    GET A CAMERAAAAAA !!!
    ahahaha, and yeah, everyone has been hoping for the rain to go away.
    Taking the couple pictures was not easy, had to do it silently and quickyly, and in a manner that they would not notice their photos being taken.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Perhaps all Perth-ians think alike,yesterday my sis, my friends and I just kept saying 'The sun is out!' and admiring the scenery and blue skies all day. We've been in the dark too long.

    Looks like another beautiful day today Robin, more gorgeous pictures from you I hope?

    ReplyDelete
  5. hey di,
    yeah, thank goodness its another sunshine day, now I can clear all my accumulated laundry without needing a dryer !!
    Nolah, Sunday I am taking a break, just lazing around indoors, ahahha....

    ReplyDelete
  6. great post mate! i love photos of king's park and the perth city skyline. your photos are pretty good! they look like postcards!

    anyway just to add on to your point, Singaporeans are very closed minded too! and pampered and sheltered and narrow minded and and and... that's what u get from a country who is so tiny and made it to first world status within one generation. our government boasts about it. our people listen and hence we think so highly of ourselves that we forget that there's another world altogether outside.

    i really love reading your blog cos i get to see all these amazing sights of good ol' perth that i miss! hats off to u! oh and i think its just pure fun to do such things on a normal weekend. so for the record u are not the only one!

    -Marcus

    ReplyDelete
  7. hey marcus !
    Thanks for the words of encourangement, I really appreciate it.
    well, if you ask me, I would say Singaporeans fare well better than Malaysians in many aspects, and Singaporeans actually did pretty well internationally compared to Malaysia.
    Anyway... I am thinking of going to King's Park one of the nights, to get the night shot of the city skyline with my new cam !! I havent done it with my cam on the night city shot yet, so yeah. My housemate is getting a new cam too, so im waiting for him so we could go up there and test out our cameras.

    ReplyDelete