Thursday, June 07, 2007

Care for Indonesia 2: Concert in Perth

Side Note: It is funny when a person complains about hating someone talking behind his/her back and not having the courage to speak openly, directly. Darling, can't you see? The truth is, if you are willing to open up your ears at the first place and speak less instead of making every conversations centering on you and yourself only, people can actually talk to you, openly, and directly.


I have this interesting friend of mine in Perth with his MSN nick displaying "SHEILA ON 7 CONCERT TICKETS" for God knows how many weeks, until one fine evening I finally sent him a message telling him that I want one ticket for the concert too. Unfortunately for me, it was very near the concert already, and I was lucky enough to get a ticket, but seated rather far away from the front stage. My seat was at the row W (count A-Z, and see where W is).

Image Uploaded by ImageShack Toolbar




Farhan came with his friend to fetch me from my place, and when he saw me he asked me this question:

Farhan: Oi, you are not feeling cold wearing 3/4 pants tonight?
Robin: I had no choice, this is the only pants with a large pocket to conceal my camera.
Farhan: Let me check with my friend if we can bring our cameras in.

Few minutes later...

Farhan: Yeah, my friend said cameras are allowed in.
Robin: Ok, im feeling cold now. Darn.

Anyway, having a compact camera with just a minimal 3x zoom sitting so far away from the stage was definitely an agony, especially when you desperately wanted to get good shots from the event. Almost all my pictures turned out blurry and unusable, and even the few that were salvaged were no where near the quality of pictures I was expecting. Add that to the fact that I have limited memory and low powered batteries, both used to record videos, as well as taking pictures for a span of more than 4 hours total of concert performance.

Camera talk aside, the event was called Care for Indonesia 2, and they had previously done Care for Indonesia in the year 2005. The top artists (bands, singers, performers) flew all the way from Indonesia to this humble land of Perth just to perform and entertain the crowd for this particular night. I am not really a huge fan of Indonesian music, though I did like a few numbers from time to time. "menghitung hari" from Kris Dayanti and "sephia" from Sheila on 7 have always been my all time favourite. To be frank, I was not expecting much from the concert either. I thought that I have never attended any real concerts before, so why not give it a shot? Events like this do not happen every now and then, so yeah, just be there and enjoy the moment.

Enjoy the moment, I did. Surprisingly more than I could ever have expected.

Lets see who was performing that night.

SHEILA ON 7

Image Uploaded by ImageShack Toolbar


Image Uploaded by ImageShack Toolbar


Image Uploaded by ImageShack Toolbar



Sheila on 7 have always been a favourite among Malaysians, and their hits are always circulating the national airwaves. Many of their songs are used as soundtracks for the local Malaysian cheap Tv Drama productions, and I believe they have a growing, steadily huge fan-base in Malaysia after so many years of their establishment. I personally do like quite a few of their songs, and of all the tracks that they have performed that night, only one rang a bell: "Itulah Aku".

Image Uploaded by ImageShack Toolbar


Image Uploaded by ImageShack Toolbar



This was the first time of me seeing them peforming live. Nope, I have never seen them on TV on any occasion before, and I dare say that they were rather good. They managed to engage the audience and worked their way covering the wide stage well. I seriously think the vocalist (lead singer) has a wonderful voice. Check out the video for yourself to see what I mean.





MALIQ AND ESSENTIALS


Image Uploaded by ImageShack Toolbar


Image Uploaded by ImageShack Toolbar



According to a friend of mine, this is a new band freshly formed not too long ago. No wonder I have not heard of them before. This group performs jazz music, and surprisingly they did very well, topping music charts in Indonesia. It was not difficult to see how they could do it, but the element that shocked me was not so much of the quality of their music, though they do have pretty groovy vibes, it was their stage performance. Superbly stunning is just not enough to describe the quality of their performance.

Image Uploaded by ImageShack Toolbar


Image Uploaded by ImageShack Toolbar



I regret not taking much videos for Maliq and Essentials, since I was saving my limited memory just in case there was a live strip show or something. They were incredibly authentic and creative in coordinating their moves and dance steps from the beginning of their performance to the end. Everything was so smoothly carried out that it just gave you the sense of feeling how spectacular their music was. They proved that they were not only capable of delivering good music, but also powerful and talented visual to accompany their music. Their performance was truly unforgettable.

I only have one short clip.





CATHERINE WILSON AND VJ CATHY

Image Uploaded by ImageShack Toolbar



Those two pretty and lovely ladies were the emcees for the night. If only I could understand what they were talking about. Understanding Indo Language was harder than I thought. But they were lively, and they engage the audience very well.


The Singer I forgot what her name was...



Image Uploaded by ImageShack Toolbar


Image Uploaded by ImageShack Toolbar



Oh dear, I seriously can't remember who she was.... but she has got a hell of a good voice. Very mesmerizing, sweet, strong but not annoyingly sharp like Siti Nurhaliza.



SHANTY



This lady, has the strength and stamina of a cow. She can scream and scream and scream all night long without stopping. She could run around and jump like a mad cow, and never showed even a slight hint of exhaustment. She was so full of energy and charisma that she practically lit up the entire concert hall !! Trust me, if it was not for her powerful vocals and performance, I did not think I could last till the end of the show. She was the caffeine we all needed to stay on for the rest of the show. Truly a refreshing artist, she was.

Ok, the guy who sat beside me, Afiq did fall asleep.

Image Uploaded by ImageShack Toolbar



There were a few more artists, whom I have their pictures, but they were all blurred out and unusable. I do not remember all their names, but I think one of them sounded something like Cinta Bunga Lestari or something. What a cute name, don't you agree?

And last but not least, and I think it was the favourite of the night..

GLENN FREDY

Image Uploaded by ImageShack Toolbar



This is the first time I have heard of this artist, though he is no stranger to Indonesian music scene. His voice goes so high that I think if I could sing like him my balls would explode halfway holding on to that high note he was hitting. I must admit, Glenn Fredy is indeed extremely talented, he played piano, guitar, and sang incredibly well on stage. Oh, his songs are fantastic too. maybe I should start downloading his songs on mp3 soon There was so much passion and soul in his music and songs that you feel you could relate to them, though you have no idea what the songs are and what the lyrics mean.



Everyone On Stage

Image Uploaded by ImageShack Toolbar


Image Uploaded by ImageShack Toolbar



All in all, it was really an enjoyable concert. It started just before 8pm and finished right after midnight, which gave it an unexpectedly long span of 4 hours stage time. I believe everyone was satisfied with the performance.

Here are some pictures of the people attending the concert too...

A HUGE group picture....

Image Uploaded by ImageShack Toolbar




This is ARIF.. a guy that I always bump into accidentally... at the city... in Harbour Town... and God knows where else !!

Image Uploaded by ImageShack Toolbar




FARHAN, Me, and a Mysterious Girl

Image Uploaded by ImageShack Toolbar




Thanks so much Farhan for getting me the ticket !! I really appreciate it. I am glad I went for the concert, the noise and the crowd were just the things I need to clear off my head and refresh my thoughts to get moving on with my life for the moment.

So, who is your favourite Indonesian Artist?

7 comments:

  1. oh me oh myyyyyyy. i can't believe i missed out on that )=

    did glenn sing 'january'? love that songg!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey san,
    erm erm erm... i dun even know the title of the songs !! ahahahhahaaa...
    im sure there will be care for indonesia 3. look out for that one !!

    ReplyDelete
  3. !@#$%

    Sheila on 7 was in Perth!!!!!! And I didn't know in time! And I didn't go!!!

    Haha, do let me know if you hear about any other Indonesian artistes coming to Perth.

    ReplyDelete
  4. hey cynical-idealist,
    Oh dear, I am so so so sorry I never asked you !! I got the ticket from my other friends on very last minute, and to be fair I did not even tall anyone about it. I just went with those friends.
    I will keep you in mind the next time I hear anything about Indo music in Perth.
    My apologies again.

    ReplyDelete
  5. australia cares too much for indonesia already with not much reciprocation. its time to stop!

    ReplyDelete
  6. hey robin, i think you made a mistake. the song is entitled Itu Aku, which is the second track of their album Pria Terhebat.
    That said, one can tell that I am a FAN!!! They were in Aussie! I have all of their albums but sadly all in casette form. This goes waaaay back when i was in form 4..... getting old now~

    ReplyDelete
  7. hey wuching,
    aiyooo.. u so cruel lar...

    hey ronnie,
    oops, ahahahaa a terrible mistake, thanks for pointing out !! Whoah... hardcore fan u are... im sure you would have enjoyed their live performance, it was awesome !!
    Come to perth lar... im sure they will perform next year or the year after again, ahahahhaa

    ReplyDelete