Monday, April 02, 2007

Sunset at Matilda Bay

It was one fine evening, approaching sunset that I made a sudden trip to the nearby riverside just beside the University of Western Australia (UWA) and lazed around while looking to the sky awaiting sunset. Well actually you cannot see any sun setting over this side of scenery from Matilda Bay, but still when the day gives way to night, the colours of the sky can change into unbelievably stunning shades.

Matilda Bay

Image Uploaded by ImageShack Toolbar




Perth City

Image Uploaded by ImageShack Toolbar




During those hectic and crazy university days, I would take some time off and just walk alone along this bay. I have blogged quite a lot about this place too, and we have had birthdays and bbqs happening here in previous entries as well. It is such a convenient place with good facilities, and of course, undeniably, an awesome view for any given time of the day. The city landscape from afar and the blue waters made this place seem even more inviting.

As the sky grew darker, the colour of the cloudless sky became more and more dramatic. Unfortunately my camera does not capture natural colours well enough, looking at my own pictures I can tell honestly that those are not the "real" colours and shades of what my eye perceived there and then. Nevertheless, I just love the combination of different layers of colours underlying the fading light and brightness in the sky approaching sunset.


WHITE Ships and Yachts

Image Uploaded by ImageShack Toolbar




Professionals at Work

Image Uploaded by ImageShack Toolbar




I was so focused at not shaking my hand.. that I almost did not notice the unusual splashing and splattering of waters very near the shore.

Water Splashing

Image Uploaded by ImageShack Toolbar




From previous experience, I can only assume one thing, and I was right.

DOLPHINS !!!!!

Image Uploaded by ImageShack Toolbar


Image Uploaded by ImageShack Toolbar


Image Uploaded by ImageShack Toolbar





Under such poor lighting condition (far into sunset already mind you !!) These pictures are the only ones I could manage.


It was such a lovely sight !! Seriously, this time the dolphins got closer to the shore than previous encounters. I saw around 3 to 4 of them swimming together. The feeling of witnessing those wild dolphins rapidly swimming around, rising up and submerging again, was just magnificent. Add the views of Matilda Bay to the entire experience. It was just magic.

This is the time I truly appreciate the power of a D-SLR. Really, my cam does shit when you need power, timing, SPEED and immediate response !! Not to mention the lack of zoom power and stability. Such fast moving creatures were dificult to capture. Sigh, well, we just have to made do of what we have, ya? Nevertheless, I did better this time, previous one was just a complete failure.

Kayaking into the Sunset

Image Uploaded by ImageShack Toolbar



Oh, Unker will appreciate this I am sure.


Well, the short trip turned out to be more eventful than I first expected. I was working out my appetite for the coming dinner with some friends. It turned out that I got more for what I have bargained for. There is no telling when and where the dolphins will appear, and in case you have not noticed, the river is kinda huge.


Moon over the Bay

Image Uploaded by ImageShack Toolbar



Matilda Bay, dolphin hunting watching, anyone wanna come with me?

12 comments:

  1. hey wuching,
    no I am in Calcutta.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The last photo is Gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hiE. ur sceneries r so peaceful looking unlike the view that i get when i stare at papers... PAPERS that DETERMINE my future. pfft *grins* hope u're doin fine =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. hey samantha,
    Thanks, I am a peaceful person after all, explains the peaceful outcomes of my photos, ahahahaa...
    anyway, I am doing alright here... hope the same goes to you !!
    Perth is a peaceful place, might I add.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Matilda Bay is my ultimate favourite place in Perth. I had a similar dolphin experience last year, it was amazing (^___^)

    I wish I was still living in Nedlands now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. hey di,
    wow another blogger who went to matilda bay before !!! ahahahaa...
    u used to stay in nedlands? its quite a good place, can go subi, freo, city, cottesloe beach and basically almost everywhere from here !!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh yeah, regular cams can't capture sunsets or sunrises like DSLRs. Sucks, doesn't it?

    Lucky you!! You got to see dolphins! That must be surreal, they're such magnificent creatures. :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. hey luxferi,
    yeah, and my cam is very basic some more, with very minimal controls..
    yeah, dolphins are such gentle creatures... looking at them swimming.. is just magical.

    ReplyDelete
  9. *sigh*

    i want.

    i dunno what exactly it is that i want.. but i want.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh dear aaron...
    What do you "want" ????

    ReplyDelete