Thursday, April 12, 2007

Of Carousel and Another Perth Sunset

Update: A few good souls pointed out that Westfield is an Australian based company, not American. go to www.westfield.com for more details.

Side Note: I have created new photo albums on Picasa Web, and you can view the albums under the side bar "blog navigation" - Photo Gallery tab. If you have your pictures taken by me before, most probably you will find your face there. Go check it out, or you can just click *here and *here for your laziness and convenience sake. Photo albums are still under construction, more pictures and new albums coming up soon !!

Have I just mentioned about how much I love to window shop not too long ago? Oh yeah, in case you guys missed that bit of important truth about me, have the courtesy to read about that here. You see, the thing about Perth shopping is that most of the places are scattered all around the sub-urbs far, far away from the city. Some of them are located approximately one hour travel time from the place I stay. Considering the distance and travelling troubles, there are a few shopping places that we poor poor students (ok, no longer a student now, but yeah) can only visit on occasions.

One of them would be Westfield Carousel.

Image Uploaded by ImageShack Toolbar



In case some of you guys are not familiar with the word Westfield, here is a little introduction. I am sure most Malaysians would know of KLCC. If you are one Malaysian living your whole life in Malaysia and have not heard of KLCC or Petronas Twin Tower, I am pretty sure you know how to sing Negaraku backwards and know every name of the executing ministers in every state of the nation. I am guessing that basically majority of Malaysians have at least been to the shopping mall in KLCC once before, and many do not know that KLCC is actually owned and ran by Westfield, an American Australian company.

Pillar of Light and Flowing Waters

Image Uploaded by ImageShack Toolbar




Another news flash, the soon to be opened Spring Shopping Mall near Simpang Tiga in Kuching is also partially owned by Westfield. So yeah, you get the idea of Americans dominating and invading us Malaysians via shopping malls.

The Interiors

Image Uploaded by ImageShack Toolbar


Image Uploaded by ImageShack Toolbar




The Food Court - Odd Looking Ceilings

Image Uploaded by ImageShack Toolbar




Nevertheless, Westfield Carousel remains as one of my favourites when it comes to shopping in Perth. Yes, it is very far from where I stay, hence I could only visit the place when I have nothing better to do but shake my legs the whole afternoon long. The place is not as huge as Mid Valley in KL (but waaaaay larger than anything you can find in Kuching currently) and is only consisting of one floor. There is a cinema at the top floor with a few eateries but those are not actually part of shopping eh? The interior design was nothing to shout about in comparison to many available Malaysian malls. But still, I would prefer to come here given any other choices.

Plenty of Sunlight Indoor


Image Uploaded by ImageShack Toolbar



I believe that when it comes to shopping, or more precisely "window shopping", it is the items on the shelves that counts. In this case, I could just spend my entire day walking around and just seeing and touching and trying out stuff and maybe buying a few. Oh the joy of window shopping. And have I mentioned that there are times I would prefer to shop alone? Yeah.

City Surf

Image Uploaded by ImageShack Toolbar




On the way back from Carousel, I had to interchange at the bus port, and that was when I noticed how beautiful the sky was. The clouds did a very odd formation and so I thought maybe I could just rush to the jetty nearby and quickly take the next ferry down to Mill Point to capture some sunset shots. Unfortunately, as I arrived at the jetty by the river, I realized that the clouds are not exactly above or situated anywhere near the city landscape, but rather to the side of it. Disappointed a little, and not wanting to give up, I walked a distance to the next spot which I never actually been to before on foot.

Spread-Out Clouds

Image Uploaded by ImageShack Toolbar





It was on the bridge that I positioned myself, and faithfully waiting for the sky to darken. Yet, there is another huge disappointment. Since this is rather a huge bridge carrying heavy traffic, and that time of me standing at the side was actually the peak hour of the day, the bridge was subjected to significant amount of vibration. It was shaking so badly that you could feel as if you are having a mini-earthquake, or when you look down to the waters under the bridge, it was something like taking a boat trip with the rough waters rocking the entire boat. Well, the only exception was that the water was calm and smooth.

I am not sure if it is ok for the bridge to vibrate that violently considering the durability of the structure and the damages that those vibrations would impose on long spanned structures. I am digressing here. I did not bring my tripod, hence I was expecting the rest my camera somewhere flat and take long time exposure shots. Somehow, I believe the bridge can shake more than my hand does !!


On the way to the spot, I noticed something rather interesting.

Pelican on Street Lamp

Image Uploaded by ImageShack Toolbar




Another Pelican on Another Street Lamp

Image Uploaded by ImageShack Toolbar





Nevertheless, the shaking did not occur that constantly, and when there are less cars it would shake less, and there are shake-free moments. Darn, maybe I should have just walked all the way to the other side of the river and take pictures looking back to the city. By taking pictures on the non-flat railings with constant shaking from time to time, I could not possibly have a stationary position of my pictures. And 3 out of 5 pictures blurred even as I used self timer on the long time exposure. Darn, truly frustrating.

A tripod would be useless, for the shaking affected the whole bridge. Totally pointless.


Sunset View from the Bridge

Image Uploaded by ImageShack Toolbar


Image Uploaded by ImageShack Toolbar



Image Uploaded by ImageShack Toolbar



Under such circumstances, I could only manage these pictures. Pardon the jagginess, they are due to heavy compression.


It was my first time on that bridge, and my first time viewing sunset of the city view there. Somehow, it does feel a little different from seeing it across the river, or at Kings Park. It was quite a cold day with mild wind, and I could tell you that my pictures did no justice in capturing the lovely scene. In case you wondered, yeah I did those alone, since I could not find anyone who is as crazy and would do such things spontaneously, as well as those who would appreciate landscape beauty. What to do? Do alone loh !!!

Bridge over Troubled Waters


Image Uploaded by ImageShack Toolbar



And here is the bridge that I went to the top and took all the above pictures. I love the bright reflections on the water across the river.

At the rate I am using my camera, no wonder it is getting sick and showing signs of dying already. Darn...

12 comments:

  1. wow great job with all the photos! i remember those 2 for the price of 1 movies i used to watch ahem ahem...thats cos i bought only 1 ticket but hijacked another movie secretly after the first! haha planned it in such a way that the 2nd movie i wanna watch will start exactly after the 1st! god i miss carousel muahahaha! everytime the warden comes into the cinema with his flashlight, i hold my breath for fear of getting caught but never do! the tough part was choosing the right cinema to enter that was showing the correct 2nd movie. all boiled down to luck! thats what happens when security are only stationed at the entrance where they collect the ticket stubs! quite hard to get caught if u ask me especially when there are no allocated seats to cinema goers.

    anyway its nice to see carousel again and hope to see more photos of familiar places soon.

    -marcus

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey marcus,
    Thanks thanks.
    OMG !!! U did that too?? I used to sneak in another cinema hall after watching the first movie too !! I did that at cinema city, ahahahahaa....
    Goodness... we do have a lot in common !! This is getting scary.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hahaha i did that at garden city and innaloo too but i finally came to the conclusion that its the safest/easiest to hijack in carousel cos of the layout of the corridor. its 'L' shaped so after the first movie i'll go into the toilet to stall for time then after a couple of minutes come out and go for the 2nd show. garden citt is just one straight corridor so if u exit a cinema its pretty tough to hard anywhere.

    -marcus

    ReplyDelete
  4. Westfield is Australian owned and headquartered in Sydney -> www.westfield.com

    -HS

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great photo, I`m really impress the sunset view from the bridge. it is worth it to wait for the sunset.

    ReplyDelete
  6. hey marcus,
    the reason why i just hopped to another hall after one was because there was no one to wait for collecting any tickets before entering the cinema. During my visits to hyotts in the city, i have never come across anyone checking tickets while the movie was running. Lucky me eh?

    Hey HS,
    Indeed it is. I read somewhere that it was owned by American company, my bad.

    Hey laura hii,
    Thanks thanks. Yeah, it was so worth the wait !!

    ReplyDelete
  7. hey dude.

    fab pics, as per usual. hahahaa. i especially love the ones in the food court. those undulating ceilings.. wow!

    anyway.. you're tagged. heh!

    ReplyDelete
  8. hey aaron,
    I know !! the first time i saw the ceiling I was like... coool.
    Anyway, i have done that tag before. It was somewhere few months back, ahahahahaa. Hope you dun mind if I skip this one.

    ReplyDelete
  9. wah lao.. u stood there and took picture til night time meh? a true photographer indeed..haha

    ReplyDelete
  10. hey chunchow,
    I went there during sunset nia lah. Sunset happens very fast one leh !!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Damnit the photos from your dying camera puts the photos from my new one to shame!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. hey starryluvly,
    Aaaahhhh... my camera is only throwing tantrums from time to time... but usually when I do not really need it that much, so yeah, on normal days, it is still working fine. Lets just hope it recovers by itself....
    wishful thinking.. wishful thinking....

    ReplyDelete