Monday, April 09, 2007

Jars of Clay - Work

I am sure that every single blogger has done this or something similar to this before: Posting up purely just song lyrics. I know it is lame, I myself think it is utterly lame to just stick up some wordings from some emo songs up your blog and call it an entry. Seriously guys, could you not find some better fillers if you have nothing better to blog about?

Ok, punch me in my face already. As inappropriate as I think it would be, I am about to do one myself. Not that I have nothing better to blog about, but yeah, lets just take a change for a while, and see something different shall we? I mean, I am sure some people are tired of the food, the skies, and my cute face.

WORK by Jars of Clay


The Music Video



Well, you gotta admit the expression of the lead singer is rather..... very unusual considering he seemed quite peaceful in previous performance.

Change is good, and I love the energy and power surging through the video. Just fantastic.


The Lyrics

Just in case, I will leave my things packed
So I can run away

I cannot trust these voices I don't have a line of prospects that can give some
kind of peace
There is nothing left to cling to that can bring me sweet release
I have no fear of drowning
It's the breathing that's taking all this work

Do you know what I mean when I say, "I don't want to be alone"?
What I mean when I say, "I don't want to be alone"

Empty spaces with shadows hit by streetlights
Warnings signs and weight of tired conversations
In the absence of a shoulder, in the abscess of a thief
On the brink of this destruction, on the eve of bittersweet
Now all the demons look like prophets and I'm living out
Every word they speak, every word they speak

Do you know what I mean when I say, "I don't want to be alone"?
What I mean when I say, "I don't want to be alone"
What I mean when I say, "I don't want to be alone"

Do you know what I mean when I say, "I don't want to be alone"?
What I mean when I say, "I don't want to be alone"
What I mean when I say, "I don't want to be alone"
Alone, alone, I don't want to be alone

I have no fear of drowning
Its the breathing that takes all the work


This song is like my super favourite song nowadays, and I can repeat it on my Winamp whole day long. No kidding on that.

I have just recently downloaded got a full album copy of "Good Monsters", the latest album from Jars of Clay. Jars is my favourite band, like since forever. I was first introduced to it by school friends, and have faithfully followed their progress in music career ever since. Many of their songs have become my personal favourites, and I could just listen for them for the whole day and not getting tired of them.

Those Jars fans would definitely agree with me that their songs are perfectly original, creative and beautiful. They seriously know how to write good songs, and they play and sing them out darn well too. Classics like Flood, Love Song for a Saviour, Worlds Apart, Frail are the songs that actually hit waves around the world, making Jars the pioneer for a successful Christian Rock Band. They were the first Christian Band to make it that big. How big you ask?

Heck, they even earned themselves THREE Grammys.

And the surprising fact about this band, they remain humble throughout the years.

This new song "Work" reflects deeply on what I am going through in my life. And the ever cryptic and elemental lyrics just speak out clearly:

Do you know what I mean when I say, "I don't want to be alone"?

I have no fear of drowning
It's the breathing that's taking all this work

Now all the demons look like prophets and I'm living out
Every word they speak, every word they speak


I mean, wow, they truly tell real tales that happen in reality. And they tell it in such vivid manner through their music and vocals. I do not quite know how to explain this, but I find myself getting more and more addicted to the song everytime I hear it. The more I play the song, the more I feel attached to it.

For the fans, I sure hope you guys continue checking out the new songs from Jars. If you love their previous work, I am sure you guys will love what they are currently doing in that recent album. I do not consider myself a hardcore fan, but seriously, they have so many wonderful songs that carry such deep meanings.

For those of you who never heard of that song before, I hope you guys like it. I know everyone has different tastes when it comes to music (heck, I think everyone has different tastes in everything, sheessssh) but do give it a listen.

Feel free to say something about this song. I appreciate your feedback.

"But we have these treasures in Jars of Clay to show that the surpassing powers come from God, and not from us." 2 CORINTHIANS 4-7

10 comments:

  1. come! i sing with u! lalalalalalalalalalalalalalalala!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey wuching,
    here is a roll of cello-tape, help yourself by applying it on ur lips.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I used to listen to their music back in my high school days.

    ReplyDelete
  4. hey arth,
    yeah, i first heard of their songs in high school days too...
    but im still in love with their music even till now !!
    Amazing eh?

    ReplyDelete
  5. New template!

    I'm in love with the album too! Just that I haven't got all the songs just yet.

    And yeahh, work is a damn power song.

    ReplyDelete
  6. hey cynical-idealist,
    yeah, new template, but I havent finished tweaking it yet, I's say I am 90 percent finished for now.
    Work... the song just keeps playing on my mind... gosh... scary !!! ahahhaaa but yeah...
    so much power in that track.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oooo... new template layout.. hehe

    ReplyDelete
  8. hey chun chow,
    ahaahahaha this is the second time I change my template.
    Still changing a little there and here.. ehheee

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ah Robin, you warm my heart I tell you. Most people put up lyrics and expect everyone to figure out the tunes and all but you did the right thing by accompanying the lyrics with the MV.

    Thumbs up to you.

    Anyway, JOC rawks! Ever heard their song World's Apart? Still my fav evar!

    ReplyDelete
  10. hey merv,
    Thanks! yay, another jars fan !!
    Worlds apart rocks. One of my favourites too, aahhhhaa.

    ReplyDelete