Monday, March 19, 2007

The Visit to KL

Since the useless Malaysian Airlines (MAS) discontinued the direct flight from Kuching to Perth, I had no choice but to travel via transits, with options either from KLIA, Singapore or Brunei. It has been repeatedly reported that transits through Singapore and Brunei would have costed me much less in comparison to our own Airline. Nevertheless there was this promotion going on and I bought one way ticket to Perth from KLIA at a reasonable price of RM599 only. Original price would have been more than RM1000, correct me if I am wrong here. Malaysia indeed Boleh... I guess.

Considering the fact that I had to pass through KL, why not stop there for a brief time and enjoy myself before I dive into the neverending world of trauma in career life? I have friends in KL, and as horrible as my choice of timing could be, I hope I did not cause too much trouble on any part. Thanks to dear friend, Chun Chow, I have got a place to stay, and a companion to rely on this huge city. After all, my trip there was not entirely for holiday, fun or shopping/entertainment, but rather catching up with friends, meeting up a few bloggers, and most important of all, trying to prepare my mind in transition, looking forward to returning to Australia.

I have been to KL for several times, and I have enjoyed every single one of my visits. I have stepped feet on popular grounds, mostly the shopping malls and tourist attractions. However, it never ceased to amaze me everytime I went there, and there just seemed to be something new to explore. Lets just say, there will always be a first time for everything.

My First Sushi King Experience

Image Uploaded by ImageShack Toolbar

Image Uploaded by ImageShack Toolbar



Yeap, I pretty much guess everyone would have at least tried this Japanese Restaurant at least once in their lives. Typical Japanese food, absolutely over-priced, you could find similar dishes in Perth with better quantity and quality with much, much lower prices. I noticed the salmon cuts being used were not even so fresh, with the edges turning slightly pale yellow already.


My First Secret Recipe Cake

Image Uploaded by ImageShack Toolbar

Image Uploaded by ImageShack Toolbar



For a place well reputed to serve really good cheese cakes and other of its likes, I do find myself enjoying that piece of cake: Cappucino Cheese. The cheese part was a little too jelly-ish to my liking, probably caused by adding too much gluten/binding material in the cheese layer. On top of that, the coffee flavour is a hint too overpowering, dominating the entire cake, resulting the minor presence of cheese portion. I can only complain so much, but hey, those are opinions coming from a person who had tasted better cakes before. For a price of RM5.50 per piece, I do think it is worth the money.


My First Maggi Mee Goreng + Iced Teh Tarik

Image Uploaded by ImageShack Toolbar

Image Uploaded by ImageShack Toolbar



I know mamak is the life in KL, and something particularly unique itself, not being found at other places, not even in Kuching where I reside. Night supper would have been more colourful with those places around, and I do admit I thoroughly enjoyed my first Maggi Mee Goreng. Served with Iced Teh Tarik, oh goodness, this is just a purely orgasmic Malaysian food !!



My visit to KL was rather a short one, did not have much chance and time to explore the good new places, but rather I chose to go to those I could make it within my travelling power. I travelled by myself most of the time, everywhere mostly via bus+walking, and I gotta say, under the superbly hot sun of KL, it was not entirely a pleasant experience. Nonetheless, the destination was worth the puffs and sweats, and it saved me plenty of cash in comparison to hiring cabs.


Petaling Street

Image Uploaded by ImageShack Toolbar


Image Uploaded by ImageShack Toolbar



My journey started from Petaling Street in late morning, the famous China-town alike place selling plenty of pirated goods everywhere. It was a short stroll, exiting to Kota Raya area, and I walked pass PuduRaya Station.


Time Square

Image Uploaded by ImageShack Toolbar

Image Uploaded by ImageShack Toolbar

Image Uploaded by ImageShack Toolbar



By using the building as a faraway guide landmark, I found my way through walking from Pudu to Times Square. It was not really that far of a walk, approximately 20 minutes of slow walk, but the torture of unwilling sweat under scorching sun and traumatizing unhumanly traffic when crossing roads just did not quite add to the total experience equation that well. This time I made a better coverage on the grounds of Times Square, I noticed that the designs and interior of the whole place was rather dull, and unimpressive. Yes it is huge, but I think the simplification of the decors just made the entire place seemed, blunt. Furthermore, it has been years since its opening, and so many shops are still unoccupied.


Lot 10

Image Uploaded by ImageShack Toolbar

Image Uploaded by ImageShack Toolbar



After Times Square, I walked to Lot 10. Nothing much to talk about there. Shiny, shiny, bright interior. With every sparkling corner, it was seriously hurting to my eyes. While I was taking that picture of the water cylinder container thingy... a security officer came to me and told me not to take picture. I violated my own first golden rule of taking pictures in photography prohibited zones: not to stay in one place for too long, keep on moving and only stop for a few seconds to snap what you need. Aaaahhh I am getting rusty.



BB Plaza/Sg Wang

Image Uploaded by ImageShack Toolbar

Image Uploaded by ImageShack Toolbar



Since I was around the area, why not pay a visit to the infamous BB plaza? There were plenty of good stuff to shop there, most of the time I would find many things that actually do catch my attention. Unfortunately, that would do me no good, since I was seriously short of cash. Oh well, windows shopping can be a terrible pain if you see many things you actually want to buy, but you can't. Darn, how I wish money can just fall down from the sky when I need them.


Low Yat Plaza

Ok, I did not take any pictures of this place, since I saw nothing interesting to take. For such a reputable place to house most of the Computer/IT stuff with virtually every gadgets and accesories available, I found plenty of trouble looking for what I wanted: rubber earbuds for earphones. I swore I went to every single shop available, and only found a place selling that piece of earbud I needed. Sheesssshhh... and I even Tun Jugah in Kuching, with only ONE computer/IT shop has got that item on their racks !!

After Low Yat, I walked my way back to Pudu to take a bus down to Malacca, where another journey awaited eagerly. On my way back something unexpected happened. I got stalked by this ugly looking old aunty !!!! Blardy Hell !! Alright I shall explain everything from the beginning.

It was in one of the shops that I was walking pass that suddenly there was this 50 year old aunty with wrinkly face and white hair coming to me and asked me something in a language completely alien to me. I listened to her for 10 seconds.. and figured it was pointless, because I could not understand a word she said, so I gave her the shaking head signifying that I am not interested in whatever she was saying. I brushed her off, and walked away on a much faster pace. Then you know what? She chased after me, keeping up with my pace!! Not bad for an old aunty, still having such stamina.

Mines

Image Uploaded by ImageShack Toolbar




Then she rudely walked to my front and stopped me on my tracks and this time, she is muttering something mandarin, which I could understand a little. Since she was blocking my way, and I was figuring out a way to fly over her, I had no choice but to have an earful of what she was saying. She mentioned something like coming from Seremban, having her money cheated, and needed money to go somewhere or do something. Then I told her that I had not much money myself, and F*** off go get help elsewhere, just as I saw an opening where I could just dash off and disappear like how Clark Kent would usually do.

So I walked like another 10 minutes to Pudu Station, bought a ticket for the next bus ride to Malacca, happily found a spot to sit down and sms-ed my friends, killing time of course. As I was sipping my cold drink, I saw her appearing in the station from quite a distance !! I almost choked to death on my drinks !!!! Celaka, she followed me ALL THE WAY to the bus station, I quickly got up and walked away as she just caught a glimpse of me and heading my way. Man, I never thought aunties could be so scary.

Thank goodness the bus came soon, and safely, I rode off to Malacca, far far away.

Chun Chow and Wendy

.

Image Uploaded by ImageShack Toolbar



Discounting the part being stalked by an evil aunty, I am really satisfied with this trip to KL, however brief it was. Thanks to Chun Chow and Wendy, who were willing to spend so much of their time with me when I was not travelling alone. The were both busy with stressful work from uni, but still made some time for me, and for that, I am truly grateful.

Updates on my trip to Malacca and the KL Bloggers Meet coming up soon. Stay tuned.

17 comments:

  1. Holy smokes, that aunty is scary. But it was definitely a scam.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey mooiness,
    yeaahhh aunty being scam is one... but she following me all the way.... is unexpected !!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely clickies - and nice blog. Now that Malaysia Airlines has started up Firefly Airlines hopefully that will drive the costs down and open up the options (what with 2000 "free" flights they're giving away).

    ReplyDelete
  4. i'm quite surprised you've not had maggi mee goreng before! and secret recipe cakes !! hahahha.. oh well.. nothing to be ashamed of .. but i guess those west msians would be taking this opportunity to say "hey look at how ulu kuchingites are.. maggi mee goreng pun tarak!!" hahaha..

    ReplyDelete
  5. hey jason,
    ahahhaa.... oh well, its not like I go to KL that often mar.. besides, im no big fan of cakes, and would prefer mamak mee goreng anytime.
    ahahaha.... I am a "chang har loi" indeed...

    ReplyDelete
  6. oooh robin! ur kl trip so short yet so memorable!! hehe. glad you had fun lols. gonna miss mamak food here :P

    ReplyDelete
  7. hey sandra,
    yeaahh the trip was short and sweet.. hahahahaa..
    mamak food.... i had more in melaka though.. will blog bout that soon..

    ReplyDelete
  8. robin, just admit it. you're an aunty magnet hahaha

    ReplyDelete
  9. hey merv,
    well, if the aunty is looking like something from the desperate housewives, yeah, isnt that a good thing? Think eva longoria... think think !!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. that was your FIRST sushi king experience? OMG. so kesian but then again, there's always a first for everything right? i think the Famous Amos case lagi kesian loh.

    OMG. you know Chun Chow? you should ask him to join the little meet we had. we were supposed to meet up and camwhore at the PCD concert last year but tak jadi. such a waste lah.

    *sipping Malibu Dream Banana*

    Cheng Sim

    ReplyDelete
  11. hey chengsim,
    I tried dragging him along leh, he was too busy with work I guess.. oh well, there will always be a next time !!
    Ahahha... sushi king too darn overpriced lar... famous amos also sama... ahahha....
    but then I am not jap food and cookies deprived.. been having constant supply elsewhere.

    ReplyDelete
  12. heY AunTy MagnET =P

    money can't fall outa the sky but can grow metaphorically on trees by u beginning with an estate owned by u, then u do what Ting Pek Khing does!

    aaron KiRiM SaLaM! mE too lAaa.

    ReplyDelete
  13. hey sam,
    money growing on trees.. takes time to grow u know... and usually it wont be available, or sufficiently available when you need them the most.
    Waahhh.. aaron... how is he? Hello back to both of you !!

    ReplyDelete
  14. u r too handsome, so the aunty attracted by u lah! HAHAHA! btw nice pic of Times Square, the tall view was good. i wrote sth bout u in my blog. do check it out! cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  15. hey frankie,
    ahahahaha creepy aunty that was !!
    Anyway.. I saw what u wrote oledy... waaahhh thanks so much dude... dun think i deserve all the compliments though, ive still got a long way to go !!!

    ReplyDelete