Monday, November 27, 2006

Happy Birthday Kenny Sia

It was on the odd Sunday night that the party many have been anticipating for took place at the newly opened bar in town, right on top of the Civic Center Tower where countless people who thought they could fly have proven themselves otherwise overseeing the night scenes of the small dearest city of Kuching. The event was the birthday of Malaysia's top blogger, Kenny Sia, who turned 24 on 27/11/2006, and it was all happening at the fresh awesome setting called The Links. It was still a surprise since no one would ever thought that Kenny would suddenly organize an open to public party (with reservations made via email in advance of course) and being generous to have anyone at all coming to the party and share his celebration. It was indeed a great honor to be present for such an auspicious event, and being there with my good friends Chun Chow and Wendy, both whom have just arrived in Kuching for school holidays not too long ago have created such an entertainment for a lazy Sunday night out partying.

ME, KENNY SIA, CHUN CHOW, and WENDY



Image Uploaded by ImageShack Toolbar




The Place: LINKS @ Civic Center

I have not been to this freshly opened place before, since the place itself is new anyway. I remembered I have been into the old restaurant which used to be running at the same spot, catering for weddings and other family gatherings dated many years back. When I first stepped in the place, there was this never-felt-before sensation, and I knew I loved the place on the spot. The interior decor of Links is simply superb, providing comfort with specifically designed furnitures customized to fit into every part and corners of the room, with superb lighting effect of purple shades illuminating the entire place, creating a very distinctive accent and atmosphere. There are plenty of ample spaces, and even the seats are widely positioned. Not to missed out that the bar is situated on top of a tower overseeing the views of Kuching (not that there is anything special in Kuching views) at virtually 360 degress from up there. Somehow, I felt that I was in a different place stepping into the bar. Somwhere NOT in Kuching for sure.

I think Chloe (click) the purple girl will appreciate the choice of color theme for the interior lighting for Links. She is, after all overly obsessed with the colour purple. Though purple is not my favourite, but I gotta say it really looks awesome at the entire place.

There was no people...

Image Uploaded by ImageShack Toolbar



Image Uploaded by ImageShack Toolbar




And then people started to pop out from nowhere.

Image Uploaded by ImageShack Toolbar



Image Uploaded by ImageShack Toolbar




Look, even the entrance has the surrounding walls lighted up with purple illuminations.

Image Uploaded by ImageShack Toolbar




The People: Bloggers and Friends


One of the thought that played on my mind on my way to the party was that the placed will be filled with Kuching bloggers. Somehow it was all expected that the people who have most connections with Kenny knew him from his blog, and most of those people are bloggers and blog readers (since Kenny is considered one of the famous bloggers). Sure enough, it turned out that almost everyone familiar that I bumped into that night were bloggers. What does this mean? It was a spontaneous Bloggers Meet session there and then !! While Kenny is busy showing his coconuts to other people, we bloggers come to each other and do what we do best, gossip have bloggers mini conference !!!

Here are the list of bloggers, friends and other people that came to Kenny's Party that I have known, or got the chance to get to know. Kuching is small afterall, almost everyone is connected to everyone, and somehow, I just love this feeling and I am glad to be here.

KENNETH from www.kenjj.com

Image Uploaded by ImageShack Toolbar




STEPHANIE my workmate

Image Uploaded by ImageShack Toolbar




JOSHUA FONG from www.xanga.com/jozhua (2nd from left)
U XIN From http://u-xin.blogspot.com (2nd from right)

Image Uploaded by ImageShack Toolbar




SAMANTHA from http://myunveilingshroud.blogspot.com

Image Uploaded by ImageShack Toolbar




IAN, my old schoolmate (2nd from left)
ZACH, the Radio DJ from CATS FM (far right)

Image Uploaded by ImageShack Toolbar




FELICITY from http://wackilycrazy.blogspot.com (left)
GEORGETTE from
http://tarlia.wordpress.com (right)

Image Uploaded by ImageShack Toolbar




BEN from http://benmoh.blogspot.com

Image Uploaded by ImageShack Toolbar




ELDON the superb shuffler performer of the night !!

Image Uploaded by ImageShack Toolbar





The People: Blog readers

I have a few of my own surprises when I toured around the bar from time to time hunting for hot babes searching for familiar faces. When I stopped, sat down and positioned my cam for long exposure shots of the bar at one dark corner, I turned around and there was this one guy staring right into my eyes.

"You are Robin, Robin Wong, right?" said the friendly looking stranger fellow.

"Yes, I am... " Me and my puzzled reply.

"I read your blog, nice to meet you!"

and I went "!!!!!!"

It was not the first time having random people coming up to me and said they read my blog, heck I have even got some stalkers, for real, back some time ago, but I guess I am still not used to have strangers popping up from nowhere saying that they know me, but I do not know them. This gets extremely odd and out of place when you have quite a few encounters in a few minutes !! I know there will be a lot of bloggers and blog readers present at the party, I just didn't know I could be recognized out of the crazy crowd in such dim lighting condition. It was a good feeling however, when people start commenting on how they enjoy and love reading my blog. Not that I have anything to brag, but getting positive feedback and input from time to time is always constuctive and motivational.

Of course, I took pictures with some of them who claimed they read my blog. Some wished their names not be mentioned and photos not published, and I shall respect their privacy.


WILSON

Image Uploaded by ImageShack Toolbar



This guy was a Thomian too, my senior in the good old school apparently.


SUZIE from Orlando, US

Image Uploaded by ImageShack Toolbar




This gorgeous lady flew all the way from Orlando, USA to Malaysia and she is now having her holidays back in her hometown, Kuching. She reads Kuching blogs, mostly on places and food entries, and she could easily recognise almost all the familiar bloggers there that night !! It was really fun getting to know her, and her enthusiasm in her conversations on how she loves Kuching so much, how we all bloggers relate to Kuching in our blogs and promote the many parts and faces of Kuching that some of the locals do not even care to know about the changes and new places. It was a good choice of her to pop in the party, because one of her intentions for her holiday is to meet the Kuching bloggers.

Image Uploaded by ImageShack Toolbar



I guess it was her night since she was surrounded by so many, and those there are the ones with the blogs she actually reads all the way from the USA !


The Event: Party Activities

The place was open at 9pm, me and my dearest friends, Wendy and Chun Chow arrived slightly after 9pm, and we met up with Kenneth who was already there. When we arrived, the place was still not filled with people, giving me ample freedom to walk around and snap random pictures of the place, and do crazy stuff that no other people would be interested in. We found a nice comfy "dark spot" not too far from the bar and not too far from where the food was, and we settled down. Went to grab our free drink, and I ordered "screwdriver".

Image Uploaded by ImageShack Toolbar



I know that drink is pretty common, since it was just Vodka + Orange Juice. However, I managed to stun some people when they asked me what drink I was holding in my glass by saying "screwdriver". And Feli, Kenjj and Ben had hard time believing it for some time. Kekekkekekekee....

Soon we helped ourselves with the food served, nothing overly-elaborate, just simple refreshments, which most of us attacked repeatedly until they are equivalent to a complete heavy meal. The music gets louder and louder by the hour, first drowning the conversations partially, and soon towards midnight when people started to crawl all over the places, I could not even hear my own shouts. We walked around, mingled and chat with the familiar souls, and interestingly formed different groups of people and getting everyone together. It was a mini-bloggers meet like I mentioned earlier on. Everyone seemed to know everyone, and yeah, the night went on with more chatting and much walking around.

Kenny has been busy all the time, greeting just-arrived guests and welcoming them to the party, running there and here checking if things are ok, and of course, the never ending photo shoot session with everyone. Man, I wonder how many flashes can ones' eyes take in before it affects the health of eyesight. Kenny, of course, was smiling all the way, radiating the sense of warmth and happiness like a bithday boy who eagerly waited for the birthday cake.

Things started to heat up when the some invited performaces started to take place. Take a look at the video below, Kuching Shufflers in action.




I got to say, Eldon, the guy in the pictures earlier had some serious moves.

And then Kenny started to get himself stripped...

Image Uploaded by ImageShack Toolbar




and decided to stop at just a few buttons. Sheeesssssshhh !!!

Image Uploaded by ImageShack Toolbar



While we were all busy making ourselves busy, we suddenly heard the birthday song being sang !! Gaarrrhhh, me and my group of friends have been slow and left out of the climax of the celebration. When we got the the place, everyone flooded the area and I could not have decent shots with my cam from such far distance and dark lighting.

Wonder what happened to Kenny and the specially made for him coconuts birthday cake?

Image Uploaded by ImageShack Toolbar



Note there were TWO coconuts... both kissing each other..


Image Uploaded by ImageShack Toolbar



Kenny got his face smashed into one of his coconuts. Everyone, Cheers !!! Wooo hoooo...

To Kenny, thanks so much for having me and my friends at your wonderful party. I enjoyed myself, and I can say the same goes to everyone. You smell so good with the icing of the cake all over you, maybe you should get some wild crazy girls to lick it off eh? Anyway, Happy 24th Birthday Kenny !! Continue to rock on the blogosphere.

13 comments:

  1. i didn't realised kenny sia is so short!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Robin Darling!!

    I say, is that Samantha trying to strip Kenny? Is there something going on between the two? The start of a budding relationship?

    buzz buzz

    ReplyDelete
  3. Robin, we took at least 2 pics together. Where's the other one cos I think I just might like the other one better =P

    Wuching, he's buff. Naa ain't that short LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  4. hey wuching,
    ahahaha, maybe he shrank himself during the party..

    hey the fly on the wall,
    use ur imagination, and u shall find the answer.

    hey sam,
    the other on i looked terrible lar.. ahahhahhaa will send to u

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow..
    Robin bro....

    Now u are one of the famous bloggers too hor...

    Muahahahaha!!!

    It must have been a massive birthday celebration!!!

    Nice!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. hey iwan,
    im no where near femes lar.. and not intending to be femes too..
    but its interesting when people u dunno actually know u, ahhahaha through ur blog.

    ReplyDelete
  7. hahahah` yeah` i was shocked that sue actually read my blog too` ai seh man` hahaha :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. hey ben,
    ahahahaha, well, u are the one and only popular music student in kuching blogosphere !! Wooo hoooooo, a star in the making !!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Robing Darling!!

    You're talking with someone who has the weirdest sense of imagination :P

    buzz buzz

    ReplyDelete
  10. dude, that b'day boy look thrashed!! lol

    ReplyDelete
  11. hey the fly on the wall,
    then use half of ur imagination, that would be good enough.

    hey arth,
    he was wasted and had a hangover the next morning. ahahahhaa, thats the sign of a truly good party, yeah?

    ReplyDelete
  12. i guess sam is kenny sia gf huh..since they r so close together...

    ReplyDelete
  13. hey anonymous,
    heehhehhehe..

    ReplyDelete