Monday, November 13, 2006

Grandma's Bak Kut Teh in Kuching

One of the major advantages of working on site is the flexibility of working hours, with much in between breaks and meet ups with people from everywhere, and of course, unlimited sessions of lim-teh, making time passing by so effortlessly. Unfortunately I am not working on site (construction field), my work circulates mainly on office design and drafting tasks, but from time to time, I am assigned to visit places, either replacing an absent colleague or simply just tagging along another colleague for a little sight-seeing. With such opportunities to get out of the cold, miserable depressing limited space in the office, who would not be excited? And every site trips start, and end with snack/lim-teh session.

Image Uploaded by ImageShack Toolbar




Usual place for "killing time" after site work/supervision would be ordinary kopitiams. There was this particular afternoon not too long ago that one of the co-workers suffered an extreme syndrom of heightened hunger disorder. And he told us that the only cure for him would only be Bak Kut Teh. After a little thinking, we decided to head over to Grandma's Place (not literally, having an old granny preparing ur dishes is not exactly appealing you know) at 2.5 miles, Kuching. The place is quite new, but has earned quite a reputation for some famous common dishes like hand made kolok mee and of course, the much sought after Bak Kut Teh.

I myself am not exactly the huge fan of Bak kut teh. Actually, I do not like anything that tastes herbal, they just taste like medicine and I have hard time swallowing down food that seems like medicine in my mind !! Well, I am not a Bak Kut Teh frequenter, so I am not a good judge when it comes to this dish.


Image Uploaded by ImageShack Toolbar




The appetizer that we had... U Chah Kueh !! Served with Bak Kut Teh Soup ! Interesting combination, but I would rather have it untouched by the soup.


Here comes the hot-clay-pot Bak Kut Teh....

Image Uploaded by ImageShack Toolbar



The herbal sensation soaking all parts of pig (3-layer meat, legs, ears, toungue.. ermm.. ok I shall stop) and a handful of vegies.


Image Uploaded by ImageShack Toolbar



And of course, it is served with white rice.

Image Uploaded by ImageShack Toolbar




How did I rate the Bak Kut Teh? How does it taste like?

Well, to be honest, it tasted just like any Bak Kut Teh I have tasted before. Alright, I admit I am not the best person to comment on this particular dish.

Since I bear no significant interest in that dish, why did I order it? It was an unGodly 3.30pm, just 2 hours after lunch. Well, for one reason, I had a pretty light lunch. And secondly, and the deciding element... it was paid for. Another one of the advantages going on site visits.

Image Uploaded by ImageShack Toolbar



Anyone from Kuching been to that place before? Any honest comments to share? Or anyone with good Bak Kut Teh recommendations from anywhere else?

9 comments:

  1. oh you meanie!! now i have to add bak kut teh into my list of cravings!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey! Huai Bin sixthseal.com just blog about this only. Hahah
    wah lau! must be very popular la this dish. =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. hey aaron,
    aahhahaaa yeah, definitely should go try it out, for bak kut teh lovers i think they will love it...

    hey cynthia,
    ahahahahaa, i know, so chun ya? well.. this proves only one thing, kuching is indeed small

    ReplyDelete
  4. Robin bro,
    The food looks so NICE!!!

    Is it available only in Kucing?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Its so so lah...but maybe my tastebud for Bak Kut Teh is more for the one at brickfields and the one's in kch not that up 2par

    ReplyDelete
  6. not new lah. it's been there since forever.

    ReplyDelete
  7. hey iwan,
    errrrmm singapore no bak kut teh ??

    hey quadavis,
    yea, i did not find anything special in it too.. but everyone else seems to enjoy it..

    hey hong,
    it is new. VERY new. you must be refering to another branch.

    ReplyDelete
  8. when i get there we go together hor!

    ReplyDelete
  9. hey wuching,
    no problemo !!!

    ReplyDelete