Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Of Old School Flame burning

I have just got tagged again, this time by Saykhia, a fellow schoolmate back in those glorious days. The tag is on a meme something about school. Coincidentally I have been wanting to blog about my old schools in a while, but had been hesitant and lazy to do so. I have so much to say about my time back there, and many would give anything in the world to be able to relive those precious moments again !!

Here goes nothing.


How many schools did I go to?

Primary: SRK Song Kheng Hai

Background and description:
Just an ordinary school with a mixture of both the Malay Stream and the Chinese Stream.

Good points:
Near zero

Bad points:
Near infinity. I could ramble on and on about the horrible things I experienced in the school, but I guess that beats the purpose of this meme. Cut the whole story short, the school hired blood-sucking man flesh eating monsters as teachers, who seemed to have biological disorder of daily PMS, added with super-charged voice that never failed to scream at any student at any given time of the day. I do not know why, but everything about that school is demoralizing. They discourage students to do better, there is no sense of competition nor inspiration being raised in that school. All you get is "your class is the worst I have ever seen, all of you are like ghosts !!! How can you all be so stupid, why are you all retarts?" Imagine listening to those words everyday in school, one may subconsciously be submitted to mental trauma.

Secondary: SMB St Thomas





Background and description:
St Thomas is the first school in entire land of Borneo, built in the year 1848. The school has survived a lot, and is currently considered as one of the good schools in town. It is an all boys school, and settled on a hill. Our rival is of course, St Joseph, Booooooooo !!!

good points:
Near infinity !! Wonderful teachers, awesome friends, great time, good academic life, many extra-curriculor activities, everything was just near perfect !!

Bad points:
No girls in the school (except the upper secondary classes) Miserable rules and system. (more on this later on)


Was I the studious nerd or the last-minute hero?

I have always considered myself a last minute hero. I guess I am one of those guys out there that would produce splendid results under the pressure of the eleventh hour. However, my results would never surpass some fellow classmates who seemed to have studied 24/7 before the examinations. Fair game you call it, and I agree with you. Heck, as long as my results are satisfactory to my own standards, and I am happy about it, who cares? The kiasuness in me has died long ago, when I learned that there is so much more in life than just school, books and examinations. I am not going to waste it all away just for the sake of studies.


Was I the class Tai Ko or the teacher's pet?

All the teachers know me, even those who did not teach my class. I believe I was one of the popular ones back then. How did I become popular? Easy, when you see a teacher, just greet !!! Whoever that teacher is, just say hi, or good morning/afternoon/night whatever. That is a harmless, and the least kiasu way to get noticed. Teachers love it, I believe it somehow makes them feel superior and important. Well, just do my little part in respecting elders which not many other students would do, I earned myself a reputation. Cool? No?


What was the biggest rule I broke in school?

Oh boy, where I came from, the rules are impossibly irregular. In the beginning, I was the scared little boy, who would obey every single command in the merit and demerit system, set by the school, trying my best to avoid demerit points. As time goes by, I learned that those rules are meaningless, realising I was being so helplessly slaved by the system, I have evolved. In the end, no, I did not turn into a mutant I was more of the rebelious kind of student, challenging the system and the authorities. Yeah, call me a bad-ass, but I am proud of what I am, and what I did.

Here are some examples of the incredibly sickening rules in the school (note that the translation in English may not be accurate, heck, what is the fun in it if it is?)

Tali leher senget sebelah (Wearing your neck tie upside down) --> 5 demerit

Stoking berwarna-warni (Wearing rainbow-colourful socks) --> 5 demerit

Lupa cuci tangan selepas melancap di tandas (Not washing hands clean after masturbarting in the toilet) --> 10 demerit

Berkelakuan tidak senonoh di dalam kelas (Not behaving well in class, for example, throwing condoms around or something) --> 25 demerit

Berkelakuan kasar (Being rude and rough, like punching a school prefect in their balls) --> 50 demerit

Ultimately...

Menjerit KNNCCB di hadapan muka Pengetua Sekolah (Shouting F*** U in front of the School Principal) --> Terus Kenak Buang Sekolah/Suspended Indefinitely

Ok, I self-invented the rules listed above, but hey, those are just to give you a rough idea on how ridiculously out-of-place the rules in the school can be.

What is the biggest rule I have broken so far? It all happened in a series of events.

First rule broken !! Ponteng Sekolah
My Grandpa died in 2001, and I skipped school for an entire week, my mum called and asked permission, but was not granted. I was also sick later of the week, so yeah, self declared holiday.

Second rule broken !! Ponteng Gotong-Royong
The following week, I was still sick. There was this school compulsary activity, gotong royong, and I skipped it

Third Rule Broken !! Berbincang secara terbuka dengan Pengetua Sekolah
I was called to the principal's office to explain why I didnt turn up for the gotong royong. i was damned tulan that time, because my physics teacher was doing a very important revision on the preparation for the coming mock exams. I was not in a good mood. He asked me to be rescheduled to another gotong royong session. I refused his proposal. Bad move. He also tried to figure out ways to punish my absense in the previous week.

Fourth rule broken !!
The vice principal, who was also present at the principal's office, came after me and lectured me on how rude I was back there. And so we had our very own episode of "discussion". Suddenly, he snapped !!! He threatened to expel me from school. And he shouted "Bullshit" !! Man, I must have pissed him off big time.

Fifth Rule Broken !! Membunuh Timbalan Pengetua
I was damned furious, so I took out a knife from my pocket and visciously stabbed the vice principal in his vital area repeatedly until blood was spilled everywhere and he was lying on the floor motionless. Muahahha muahaha muhahahahahahhaaa

Sixth Rule Broken !! Membunuh Pengetua
I planted a bomb in the principal's office during lunch time, and as he walked in after lunch, the bomb exploded right in front of his face. Muahahahahahhahahaa....


Alright, the last two rules are my poor attempts in exaggerating the story. What really happened was I skipped school for one week (Grandpa died mah, and some unforeseen circumstances), skipped gotong royong and had a hell of a chit chat with the principal and later on, the vice principal. I was told that if I skipped the gotong royong, I would be "awarded" 5 demerit points ONLY, but WTF, I didnt know they require me to redo the whole thing. I told them I was sick, and the mock exam was coming soon, and I really just want to skip the gotong royong. I was fine with the 5 demerit points. But those idiots keep wanting to get back one me.

Something interesting happened though. Go back to fourth rule broken. The vice principal did say Bullshit, 3 times !!! No kidding !! And just like that tables turned, and a in truth, a little more chit chat happened, nothing dramatic happened, and it all ended happily ever after. Wanna know the ending?

The vice principal offered his hand, and apologized to me. You read that right. he apologized.

I felt so victorious. I believed the vice-principal had his balls shrinked to the size of raisins when he realised his mistake of uttering bullshit, and knowing the REAL bullshit he will be buried in if I ever used that against him. I feel so wicked now, muahahahhahahaaa....


3 subjects I enjoyed:

English: This is the most informal class I have been to. Not much thinking, no equations, no theories, just plain language flexibility and creativity. I see art in language.

Arts: I ace in this subject, though my artistic skills may not be anywhere near those you can consider good, but still, I did better than most of my classmates. Such a cheap trick to earn extra marks and a little push right up the ladder of the academic ranking system in the class. Too bad, I ended up in science stream since form 4.

errmm, biology?? Yeah, since I was in the science stream, of all the horrible subjects, I find biology less troublesome. Less concepts to understand, less formulae and equations to remember. Little calculations. All you need is photocopying what you read into the answer sheet. I am a good photocopying machine. Correction, I "was". My photocopying machine seems dysfunctional nowadays in uni days.



3 teachers that inspired me:

If you ask me to list the good teachers I have encountered, the list goes on endlessly. I believe the good thing about St Thomas is the fantastic batch of teaching staff, not only in teaching but in person and character. However, if you ask me to list the teachers that truly inspired me, I could only name only one.

Puan Cynthia

My form 3 English teacher. This is the BEST BEST BEST teacher ever !!! No one could ever asked for more. Not only is her English superbly flawless, she communicates with the students in a way that not even parents can reach their children. Serious !! She knows her way around the students, and very often she speaks right to the heart. She is so full of Charisma, never failed to crack laughters in the class in her lessons. I have admired her personality, such wonderful person, and a good listener. She is more than a teacher. She is a friend to us all !!





There, I have relived some of the old school flames typing this entry. On the whole, I really think the best of my life so far (well, the best is always yet to come) would be my time in SMB ST Thomas. Ask any Thomians, they would strongly agree with me on that. The most beautiful part of all, I have met some incredible people, who have become the best of friends in my life. I also have lived some irreplacable sweet memories back then. Those, are the things that made me proud to be a Thomian.

To the fellow Thomians, let the flame burn brighter !!

To the fellow ex-Thomians, keep the flame alive, and pass it on !!!


To the useless idiotic morons Josephians, we shall burn your sorry asses alive with our flames !!

Side note: There is another person who has inspired me in school, Miss Chong Choi Ling, the School Counsellor. Since she is not a teacher, I shall not describe her in this entry.

16 comments:

  1. There's something about Thomasians and Josephians not getting along. Like a rival or some sort. Like Israel and Palestine..
    So I heard that from my cousin who was a Josephian.hehe

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey arth,
    yeah, down with the josephians !!!
    ahahhaa, that was just the old spirit thing, but hey, come to think of it, i do have some good friends coming from St Joseph too !!
    Ask any Josephians, they would say the same thing bout Thomians !!

    ReplyDelete
  3. lol. bullshit! i'm sure u had fine days after that incident, like how much will he mess with you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah !!! he didnt dare to touch me at all !!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Down with St Jo(bo)!

    Three cheers for Mdm Cynthia!

    ReplyDelete
  6. hey aldrin,
    yeah !! Down with st jobo...
    Puan Cynthia rocks !! Cant emphasize this enough...

    ReplyDelete
  7. You guys are funny...
    Grew up with ST Tom boys in my house, then I changed sides to St Mary's too. Thanks for bringing back the memories.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm a true blue Thomian! i.e from primary to lower six before I went to Sydney ... wah memories! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. hey chan gang,
    wow !!! more connections !! Marian eh?? coool..

    hey FH20,
    Thomian power !!!! Never realised u were thomian too !!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What the f*** is SMK St. Joseph? :P
    No offece you Jo(bo)'s.

    Haha, yea man, I still remember that 'bullshit' incident. Faiz, Ivan Moa and I called him 'Apocalypse Tank' for the way he is (and our facination with Red Alert 2 at the time)

    ReplyDelete
  11. hey mike,
    we had our own special name for him, we call him prawn head.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nice blog. Brings back memories. Check out my blog about St. Thomas' that I just started: stthomasschool.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. hey rajan,
    thanks for the visit.. will hop to ur place soon..

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you!
    [url=http://huzevfci.com/fkcc/toik.html]My homepage[/url] | [url=http://pvsthnxf.com/amms/lvos.html]Cool site[/url]

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great work!
    http://huzevfci.com/fkcc/toik.html | http://voyrzdry.com/ephq/hkpt.html

    ReplyDelete